Code of Conduct

Question Bulgari Black vs. Armani Code

They are really pushing all of the Bulgari scents at Nordstrom. The Bulgari rep was there and they were pretty generous with samples. I have recently purchased Code. The two seem similar to me - not in the particular notes, but in the moods they evoke, or the moods I might be in to wear either.

Bulgari Black seems sweeter (vanilla/tonka?). Code is also somewhat sweet, but peppery too. I would say Bulgari Black is more "edible".
    Code is the closest I have to edible in my wardrobe right now. I've never liked the overtly edible scents (ala A*Men, etc.) but I'm dipping a toe in the water...

Anyway, to the point... Do any of you own both and find a big difference, especially in sillage and longevity? Many frags don't last long on my skin.
    Ideal sillage to me means that if two people are close enough to reach out and touch fingertips, they should catch a whiff...

Thanks.
    “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”

~ Robert Brault

Thrax

Default Re: Bulgari Black vs. Armani Code

I do not own both currently but I have in the past. I have to say that Bulgari Black is by far my favorite one. The code had the olive flower in it that just turned my head. I find Bulgari Black to have better sillage and longevity as well.

I like the recent Armani Code for women a lot more than the mens' version.

I would choose Bulgari Black over Armani Code for men anytime. It lasts longer too.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    I find Bulgari Black to have better sillage and longevity as well.
    On me, it's just the opposite ... although I like both a lot. Code is my preference because it lasts MUCH longer on me and has better sillage than Bvlgari Black. But BOTH are big compliment getters.

I put Bulgari Black on at 5:45 this morning and it's now 6:40 and my wife just told me I smell good. Longevity is not a problem.

Code's not bad, no, but it's not even in the same league as Black -- IMHO. Black's tea, rubber and sweet vanilla notes just can't be beat.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Talking Re: Bulgari Black vs. Armani Code

OK, Jury's out...

My wife couldn't detect the Bulgari Black a mere 3 hours after application; neither could I -- damn body chemistry!.

The Bulgari PH on my OTHER wrist was another story entirely... She said, "Mmmmm", and I think I detected a slight quiver in the knees. (Well that, and her eyes rolled back into her head!)

I didn't care for the Bulgari PH at first, but it's hanging on long and strong -- and my wife likes it!

I will keep the Armani Code and get myself some Bulgari PH!

Thanks for the comments!
    “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”

~ Robert Brault

Bvlgari Black.

It's a difficult choice because i also think both are good scents..
    Bvlgari Black has the advantage to be more "unique" than Black Code though, BC seems more common i agree, but still both are complex and are masculine and are wearable enough as well.
    They don't seem similar to me...in the end i would prefer Bvlgari Black between these two.

Armani Code

Both are pretty good, if I had to pick one though I prefer Armani Code.

Armani Code is by far the winner for me. I haven't had very good experiences with Bvlgari fragrances either.

By the way, why does it show up with a "u" in the database? That's not the name, It's Bvlgari and nothing else.

The 'v' is the roman or greek letter 'u'..or something like that I forget the whole story.

Code's not bad, no, but it's not even in the same league as Black -- IMHO. Black's tea, rubber and sweet vanilla notes just can't be beat.
    Bvlgari Black has nothing on Armani Code. Black is nice, Code is top of the notch
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Only black scent I have is Karen Low's Pure Instinct Black; love it to death...I'd like to smell the Bvlgari that's for sure, though,

Armani Code is one of those 'oh nice..... wait, now I forgot how is smells' scents, while Bulgari Black is: "Huh? Wait, what? Mmmm.... wow, what IS this?"
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Armani Code is one of those 'oh nice..... wait, now I forgot how is smells' scents, while Bulgari Black is: "Huh? Wait, what? Mmmm.... wow, what IS this?"
    Hahaha well me being a Code lover and you being a Bulgari lover I had expected you to react
    Last edited by brianroy; 16th December 2008 at 06:36 PM.

Bvlgari Black all day long

I've yet to try on an Armani scent that lasts much more than a few hours. I was given a bottle of Code and swapped for Mania and would wear them both to try and figure out which one fizzled faster. Say that fast a few times. Bulgari Black is far more interesting from the start and is still a hell of a lot more interesting seven or eight hours later.

Blog Entries

I love them both, and they both last on my skin, thankfully. Both are very enjoyable to me, but in different ways. Black is very interesting to me, while Code is very comforting. Black is tea and rubber and something else, and toys with my sense of smell. Code is guaiac wood with a ton of vanilla - very soft and powdery to me. If I had to choose, most days I would pick Black.

When I started my path as a colognosieur, I thought these were quite similar. Nowadays I do not even know why I compared the two. True, they are both smokey, but while BB smells like smooth rubber and and black tea, Code dries down to a boring vanilla and that Armani Note I do not like. When I want a smoky sweet leather/rubber perfume, I reach for J. Varvatos and Bulgari Black. I ended up giving Code to one of my relatives.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Bulgari Black is boring

I find Armani Code has a bit better longevity and sillage on my skin. However, I find Bulgari Black to be a much more interesting scent. I consider Armani Code to be a well-made, but somewhat boring scent. I would categorize it as a "safe" scent that one could easily wear at the office. Bulgari Black has a kinda kinky, sexy vibe to it. It's intriguing how some detect a lot of vanilla and others only a hint.

EDIT: Just remembered a great quote/description of Bulgari Black from awhile back:

"burning tire à la mode"
    Last edited by Akira; 17th December 2008 at 10:35 PM.

Sod them both.

Desir by Rochas beats either in the drydown.

If you couldn't have the Desir, buy Santos by Cartier for sheer class and sophistication. In a smell off with women blindfolded the Santos would win hands down.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Blog Entries

Black is really in your face, whereas Code is more subtle. Black is eccentric, Code is mainstream. I think Black has better longevity, but I'm not sure about sillage. You probably couldn't go far wrong with like half a dozen sprays of Code, but Black is a one or two shot frag.

If you want an almond/powdery take on BB, try FUBU Plush for men.

Bvlgari Black is one of my favorite fragrances.