Code of Conduct

Default Newbie needs your most respected advice

Hi all,
    Been lurking on this site for a bit, and first off, I have the utmost respect for all of you experts.
    Situation is this: I have never worn cologne. But, realize that I should have a bottle on hand. The thing is, I hate the smell of the cologne section of the mall. Yet, I realize it is a necessity to have. I am recently single, so obviously want something that the women will gravitate towards. Yet, don't want something too chemical smelling.
    I've narrowed it down to the following from reading all of your reviews and comments:
    Creed: Silver Mountain Water
    Chanel: Egoiste
    Jean Paul Goultier: Le Male (women seem to hold this in high honors)
    Bvlgari: either PH or extreme
    Your thoughts? Honestly, I do want something to impress on a night out and make whomever I'm with want to just indulge in the delight of the smell. I care more about what others think than my own opinion (I don't wear cologne)
    I'm 31.

thanks for the help, and much respect!

Default Re: Newbie needs your most respected advice

i'd suggest 2, one for day time and one for night time ... mugler cologne for day time is a good choice for someone who is new to cologne, it's very soapy and clean and is good if you don't really like scents. Gendarme is good for this purpose as well. Bulgari is a great scent as well, I reccomend it over the other two, but on me it becomes very smokey (must be the tea) . I used to like SMW but now it reminds me of ink. For a night time scent egoise is a great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by stiv
    Hi all,
    Been lurking on this site for a bit, and first off, I have the utmost respect for all of you experts.
    Situation is this: I have never worn cologne. But, realize that I should have a bottle on hand. The thing is, I hate the smell of the cologne section of the mall. Yet, I realize it is a necessity to have. I am recently single, so obviously want something that the women will gravitate towards. Yet, don't want something too chemical smelling.
    I've narrowed it down to the following from reading all of your reviews and comments:
    Your thoughts? Honestly, I do want something to impress on a night out and make whomever I'm with want to just indulge in the delight of the smell. I care more about what others think than my own opinion (I don't wear cologne)
    I'm 31.

Le male and Bvlgari Extreme are both chemical smelling.

Thrax

Le Male and Bulgari are excellent choices. Hell send me a PM and I'll ship you a sample of the Bulgari just to see if you like it.

Overcome By Fumes

Many women, even those who love to wear perfume, enjoy a man's natural scent provided he is clean and healthy. If you REALLY don't like the smell of cologne, then I recommend you don'twear it. Le Male, for example, sets off a tremendous odor-cloud in which you the wearer will live for several hours at least, and if you don't like it, your misery will not make up for the traces of increased female attention you may garner. Moreso than someone who is totally indifferent, the one who generally does not like fragrances should be especially picky so as to avoid unbearable scents down the line. Be brave and check out some of the popular ones at the fragrance counter. I'd suggest you sample a few from a single house, preferably one with some history such as Guerlain, Chanel, YSL, or Dior, or Creed if you have that nearby. Come back and tell us what you liked and what you hated and we may be able to give you more useful suggestions if you haven't found the right one yet. Good luck and welcome!

Thank you all for the quick responses. I do appreciate them. Let me go into more detail of what I'm looking for:
    I work in the Wallstreet world around a bunch of men, hence I could care less about my daytime scent.
    I do realize that the smell will not seal the deal. The thing is, when I meet a woman who just smells amazing, I do remember it. I am looking for the same, but for a man. What cologne will leave the woman just a bit more pleased, just as I am when she smells just amazing.
    Thanks again

Hi all,
    I'm 31.

It sounds to me as though it's irrelevant to you what you like or don't like so there's no point telling you to go out and sample stuff. So to cut to the chase I think Chanel's Egoiste will convey a sense of sophistication and good taste. That's what I think you are looking for. I'd also put on your list Creed's Himalaya—though it doesn't have the same name recognition draw as the Chanel.

Since it's not for you there's no point agonizing over this, or collecting a hundred recommendations. Just buy the one that you know will do the job: I say that's the Chanel.

HTH

Eluard

Edit: My last post crossed with yours but my advice is the same.
    Last edited by Eluard; 6th December 2006 at 02:05 AM.

Thank you all for the quick responses. I do appreciate them. Let me go into more detail of what I'm looking for:
    I work in the Wallstreet world around a bunch of men, hence I could care less about my daytime scent.
    I do realize that the smell will not seal the deal. The thing is, when I meet a woman who just smells amazing, I do remember it. I am looking for the same, but for a man. What cologne will leave the woman just a bit more pleased, just as I am when she smells just amazing.
    Thanks again
    Well, most cologne will smell good to a woman. They aren't going to critique the quality of the oils, or the harmony of the notes in your fragrance. Girls aren't too picky, unless they are fragrance buffs Just get something of quality. (Quality scents last the longest, smell the best, and give the most sillage )
    Think: Chanel, Dior, Creed, YSL, Dolce And Gabbana...
    And....

get something that you like.

P.S.
    FYI, of all my frags Le Male and Armani Mania get the most compliments from women.
    Last edited by Pappy; 6th December 2006 at 02:09 AM.

Welcome to Basenotes!

You might want to check out the "Just Starting Out" board as there are many new comers like yourself.

I wouldn't suggest you getting Le Male as a starter fragrance. Try something fresher and easier on the nose.

Christian Dior Eau Sauvage is a very nice clean citrus that's perfect all year round from day to night.

Creed's Green Irish Tweed is also very, very versatile. Works well all year, in all sorts of situations, and the girls love this.

Bvlgari PH is a great fragrance to get as your first because it's very light and versatile as well. Some complain that it is TOO light but I think it's perfect for this kind of fragrance. It's more of a skin scent.. which is kind of perfect for you because you don't like the smell of anything overtly perfume-y. Definitely check this one out

Egoiste... sits in the same boat as Le Male. I think it might be a little too much for your uninitiated nose. Egoiste is one of my personal favorites though (not Le Male though - I loathe the stuff). It's great for fall and winter.

If you only care to attract the ladies, then check out Armani Acqua di Gio, Hugo Boss Bottled, L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme, or Creed Green Irish Tweed (Ugh. Hate listing this amongst those others but.... whatever)
    Last edited by myaccolades; 6th December 2006 at 02:14 AM.

... double post

If you want something she will remember and smells really good I would try the following before buying: (By the way, I'm 31 also........my gf is 21 and loves all of these)

*the aforementioned Creed Silver Mountain Water...........she calls it by name each and every time I wear it
    *Rive Gauche by YSL..........one girl at work asks me to wear this one at least once a week just so she can smell it.....two sprays is perfect
    *Floris Eau de Santal.............should be easy to find in NY and it isn't too strong but lasts well and is really memorable
    *Vera Wang for men...........the sexiest frag I own according to my dear gf
    *Creed Green Irish Tweed............quite possibly the perfect fragrance IMO
    *Creed Himalaya............extremely classy and projects a lot better than you may initially think

Good luck finding the frag YOU love and SHE will remember!!!!!!!

Here is a list of som of my best frags when i started out.

Givenchy Pi

Versace the dreamer

Lolita Lempicka

Bulgari Aqua

and just got Tea for Two

Smile Re: Newbie needs your most respected advice

I just sampled Bulgari PH today and my wife loved it. I would classify it as a clean, unobtrusive light musk. The longevity is excellent (on me). It doesn't come off as if you are trying too hard, but she will definitely notice when she gets close. It is still detectable (close to the body) after nearly six hours on me - and most frags die down within four with my chemistry.

My $.02
    Last edited by Scentsibility; 6th December 2006 at 02:35 AM.
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

Hi. Here's a low-cost selection that is hard to beat. This will save you money and you'll smell good in the process. It is really a summer scent, so wearing it in the cooler weather - you are better off wearing it indoors where there is heat. It is not particularly long-lasting, so if you are out on a date you may have to reapply. OK, here it is... Good luck and Welcome to Basenotes:

Diesel Plus Plus Masculine by Diesel

I don't know about Bvlgari PH.
    I have a bottle of it and don't think that it smells like anything...
    It INCREDIBLY light.
    Perhaps the lightest smelling frag I have ever smelled.

I would give Terre d'Hermes a try. Its good for day or evening wear and does not smell synthetic.

Cool weather: Egoiste
    Warm weather: SMW

Oh and...the Basenotes has you

Don't muck around with those scents.
    Instead try something classy, like Kiton.
    Renato

Thanks for all of the advice! Keep it coming!
    I think I may be crossing over to this frag passion.
    Right now, looks like I'm leaning towards Creed. Just not sure which one.

I would try Annick Goutal Eau de Sud. It's a wonderful citrus that is sexy without trying too hard. All the girls I know love it, which, since I'm gay is useless to me. ;-)

From your list I'd go with Egoiste.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Thanks for all of the advice! Keep it coming!
    I think I may be crossing over to this frag passion.
    Right now, looks like I'm leaning towards Creed. Just not sure which one.
    To be honest I think you need two frags: after a couple of days of wearing one your nose stops being able to smell it and then you can start overapplying it to compensate. The Creed's are a good choice for what you are after: I'd go with GIT, Himalaya, or SMW. But I still think Egoiste will be most appreciated by women.

(The GIT also has the added bonus that you can tell them it was made for Cary Grant if people still know who he was )

introducing a cologne or eau de toilette into your life experiencing can be a bold move...the choices are endless and your own individuality will presumably gravitate towards your preferences...there is no panacea here...if you are comfortable starting with a frag that is innocent there are many mainstays for that....as we are all individuals its a tough call...something not so shocking might be 3rd man by Caron....or perhaps rive gauche by YSL....they are innocent enough but convey a sense of distinguished taste.......good luck finding a starting place

Again thank you everyone for your help. I decided on 2 today. Let me know your thoughts on these:
    Silver Mountain Water (was able to get a tester from scentiments.com for a great price.)
    Kyoto (my understanding a unique intro frag, and I'm a fan of incense)
    ...and I'm already thinking that I may need a 3rd.
    I do realize that I'm going into this blindly, but I figure if I really don't like either scent, I'm sure one of my sisters will enjoy taking it off my hands.
    -anybody have any experience with scentiments.com? From what I've read on these boards, I don't have to worry about knock-offs from them. True?
    Last edited by stiv; 6th December 2006 at 10:43 PM.

No complaints here with Scentiments. I've gotten a bunch of Creed samples from them through Amazon. Ah, they got my order wrong once, but they let me keep the stuff I got by accident. A+. Anyway, you've got the right idea as far as getting a handful of samples in the mail before buying a bottle. I hate the mall fragrance counters as much as you do. There are plenty of samples to be had by asking manufacturers in polite emails or buying them from the members on this forum. There's a thread on freebies that just popped up again the other day, as a matter of fact.

I'll second the recommendation for Green Irish Tweed. Or Third it, or whatever. My girlfriend loves it, and it's perfectly wearable to work. I have to recommend Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur, too. It's not really an office scent per se (on me it smells mostly of vanilla/cinnamon buns/chocolate), but in my experience it drives women wild. Your mileage may vary, but I highly recommend it.