Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Comme de Garcons suggestions

Greetings to All!

Need your help in choosing a CDG edt/edp for men, me! I'm a bit confused by the series/lines of CDG and would like a strong, smoky, interesting, edp type frag from this house.

Any suggestions would be helpful. My nephew is going to Sephora to hunt for a Xmas gift for me, his nice Uncle. If I may say so myself-which I will.

Thanks

**Just found out that Sephora Canada pulled the CDG and it is available only online! Damned!
    Last edited by graffham; 6th December 2006 at 04:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Comme de Garcons suggestions

Strong + smokey + CdG = 2 Man

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I recommend the Incense Series, especially Avignon.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know any Sephora stores carried any CDG products.

As for a suggestion, I can't talk up Avignon strong enough. The entire incense line is unique and great quality, in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm certainly not the best person to answer your inquiry about CdG, but I have some experience with a few. Strong and smoky, huh? CdG's Parfums Series 1 Leaves: Tea, is a smoky, tea-based scent that is reminiscent of Russian Caravan or Lapsang Souchong tea. It is reasonably strong, but not exactly a powerhouse. From Parfums Series 3 Incense, both Avignon and Kyoto are smoky in a church incense-like way. They are not strong in an 80s powerhouse way, but they do last surprisingly long on me. CdG Sequoia is a strong woodsy scent, though not exactly smoky (like Gucci PH).

Finally, I would be remiss not to mention the original CdG EDP! It is one of the most amazing scents that I have experienced. It is an incredibly strong, heady, spicy, medicine-like EDP scent that nearly overpowers at first, but dries down to an amazing scent after a few hours. It has been said that if you are sick, application of this scent will get you better. I can see the truth in this sentiment.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I think the selection of CDG at Sephora (in Canada anyway) isn't great - if the gift is going to be purchased in Canada that is. Anyway, generally speaking, there are 8 series selections, and the standard line, which is what you'll find at Sephora. Luckyscent will have a good description of their entire line. My favourites - Sequoia - Series 2; Mint - Series 1 (now discontinued); Ouarzazate - Series 3; Rhubarb - Series 5 (one my all-time fav's); and Odeur 71 - "standard" line

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by graffham
    strong, smoky, interesting
    Sorry...I totally ignored your actual request. Sequoia for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Comme de Garcons suggestions

Thanks to all who have recently sent their thoughts on the CDG query.

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

In the U.S. at least, Sephora was only selling CdG 2 and 2 Man, which is rather limiting. I think the original CdG EdP has it all, but 2Man is a good choice as well.

I second checking out the Incense series. I'm awaiting a bottle of Avignon and also plan on acquiring Kyoto at some point.

Haven't tried anything else from CDG yet.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like

The whole Incense Series is basically my holy grail. You really have to like smoky church-like incense, however. As a start, I'd recommend trying Avignon.

Post Thanks / Like

2 Man is more of what I think of as smokey. It has that white smoke from a bonefire smell. It's similar to Gucci pour Homme, but 2 Man has more smoke, while Gucci has more dry spices and wood.

S

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani
    I'm certainly not the best person to answer your inquiry about CdG, but I have some experience with a few. Strong and smoky, huh? CdG's Parfums Series 1 Leaves: Tea, is a smoky, tea-based scent that is reminiscent of Russian Caravan or Lapsang Souchong tea. It is reasonably strong, but not exactly a powerhouse. From Parfums Series 3 Incense, both Avignon and Kyoto are smoky in a church incense-like way. They are not strong in an 80s powerhouse way, but they do last surprisingly long on me. CdG Sequoia is a strong woodsy scent, though not exactly smoky (like Gucci PH).

Finally, I would be remiss not to mention the original CdG EDP! It is one of the most amazing scents that I have experienced. It is an incredibly strong, heady, spicy, medicine-like EDP scent that nearly overpowers at first, but dries down to an amazing scent after a few hours. It has been said that if you are sick, application of this scent will get you better. I can see the truth in this sentiment.

Jeff
    Excellent run through! I was going to post something but your post pretty much highlights everything I wanted to say.

CdG 2 Man it is similar to Gucci Pour Homme but more interesting and stronger and lasts much longer.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

The Incense Series...yes!

Sephora has very limited CdG. Usually just CDG2 and sometimes Odeur 53. There is a Commes Des Garcons store in New York City that carries pretty much all their frags (whatever they have in stock at the time). If you are certain of which scent you want, I would recommend calling there and ordering directly from the house.

http://nymag.com/listings/stores/comme_des_garcons/

More info, including address and phone number of the store, in that link above.
    Last edited by mochi227; 7th December 2006 at 11:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

CdG 2 Man

Post Thanks / Like

Jaisalmer from the Incense series is also outstanding. I think it's easier to wear than Avignon.

CDG " (not 2 man), Skai, Kyoto, Guerrilla 1

PALISANDER - - - -

and get it from the perfume house in portland for the best deal they have a website that is incomplete but they can get you this for cheapuh

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    and get it from the perfume house in portland for the best deal they have a website that is incomplete but they can get you this for cheapuh
    And the incomplete website?

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    And the incomplete website?
    This place is great, and just down the road from me. They carry all sorts of rare, unusual stuff. The website is very incomplete. Give them a call at 503-234-5375 or their site is, http://www.theperfumehouse.com/ . If you speak with an SA they are very knowledgeable and helpful.
    Good Luck,

-Slim