Code of Conduct

Question Gucci Envy... a modern-day Old Spice?

Well, I bought Gucci Envy for Men a while back (and so far, I like it). However, I was thinking that it reminded me of something eerily familiar... like a certain well-known drugstore scent.

Then, I realized it: Envy smells a lot like "the bottle with the ship that sails the ocean"... Old Spice. My Mom thought so, too. Of course, Envy is a lot smoother than Old Spice, but they do share something in common. The note pyramids are similar... both share a lot of notes (amber, musk, incense, cedar, and pimiento, to name a few).

Has anyone else noticed the similarity between our beloved Envy and el-cheapo Old Spice? Heck, I might even buy a bottle of Old Spice just to make a comparison test... after all, it is rather inexpensive.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Dependent

Default Re: Gucci Envy... a modern-day Old Spice?

Envy smells like the juice in Mennen Skin Bracer bottles from the 50's and 60's.

this is my third or 4th post regarding this since I love Envy.

My dad wore Skin Bracer every day after he shaved. As a fascinated kid he explained to me that it was to close up the pores that the hot water had opened. Thus my lifelong fascination with pores.

When older 15? I wore both Skin Bracer and Old Spice. I never, ever, liked Old Spice. I thought it wasn't even a good scent for a cleaning fluid.

Skin Bracer is in the directory.

Gary
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 7th December 2006 at 05:18 AM.

I remember thinking this the first time I bought Envy. It does have an aspect to it which mirrors the cheaper sort of Old Spice drugstore cologne.

Comparing them side by side though, you notice a difference. You can definitely perceive the Envy as a better quality fragrance, and it has, I can't really describe it to well, some aspect to it which the Old Spice lacks. I'm not sure if it's an individual note, maybe the sweetness?

They're definitely reletively similar. With Envy the quality is better though, the longevity much greater, and if you do a side by side you'll see what I mean.

There are definately some differences, but I actually can see where you're coming from. I think the thing that really separates them is the sweet vanilla that Envy has.