Code of Conduct

Question glossary of common terms?

Dear Basenotes,

First off, thank you so much for this gem of a site! I have been a member only a few days but feel quite at home. People are friendly, helpful, and I love the intelligent and informed discourge here. Bravo!

As a newbie, I read and read until I got the gist of what terms like "sillage" and "frag" meant (the latter totally obvious but still...) and I thought a glossary of frequently used perfume terms might be a useful addition here.

Sillage is probably the one that I had never encountered before (don't know if it's context is solely for fragrances), but there are many, including the differences in strength and their abbreviation (edf, edt, etc.).

Also, I have seem people here using the initials GM (i think) when they seem to be talking about a signature or favorite scent. Can't recall if that's the right combination of letters, but I've definitely seen a few abbreviations here that I'm not sure what they mean yet (although somehow I figured out DH means "dear husband").

Default Re: glossary of common terms?

Hi Mochi,
    You're not alone. I've been here quite awhile, and I still run into ones that I don't know. One that was confusing to me for awhile was HG, which I finally deduced to mean Holy Grail.

Yesterday I saw PdN, and had no idea. I gather it means Parfum De New York (a brand) or something similar.

Most of the other ones I see are shorthand for fancy frags or houses. I believe there are posts here and there that have lists of house abbreviations.

I enjoy languages, and I was thinking of putting together a glossary for that. For instance, I take it for granted that eau, aqua, acqua, and agua all mean water, but I can't assume that everybody knows that.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Here's a glossary of terms:
    http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b.../Glossary.html

Here's a list to the abbreviations:
    http://www.makeupalley.com/board/lingo.asp

Answers for frequently asked questions:
    http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...erfumeFAQ.html
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento
    Hi Mochi,
    You're not alone. I've been here quite awhile, and I still run into ones that I don't know. One that was confusing to me for awhile was HG, which I finally deduced to mean Holy Grail.
    Hi Cognoscento,

Yup, it was HG. But as I have also seen folks here refer to their Holy Grail, now it all makes sense...

for those links Quarry