Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default I spent $400 in 2006 on frags--and you?

I just tallied the numbers from my charge card statements and learned that I spent just short of $400 on fragrances over the past year (of course, the year isn't over yet ). Half of that amount was spent on three new bottles, and the rest was on samples/decants. I also kicked in $50 for basenotes membership, and I did not count postage used in swapping.

2006 was my second year as fragrance as a hobby. I'm sure I spent more in 2005 sampling and doing a little blind purchasing. I think I'll spend less on samples in 2007. I currently plan to buy about three additional bottles when my decants run out, but otherwise I'm very happy with the wardrobe I've amassed and which should sustain me for some time.

I could see blowing hundreds on a trip to a Sniffapalooza event, which would be mostly for the fun factor--truly a vacation, not a shopping spree.

So, how are your bank accounts doing these days? Are you making spending resolutions for the new year?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: I spent $400 in 2006 on frags--and you?

I remember spending over $1000 in one week, when I got the SL bells. I know from the empties littering my yard that I've spent over $500 on kai and associated kai support products.

The very idea of me keeping receipts on a hobby sends me into peals of laughter. Tax time at my house is hell.

I spend about $40 a week. I figure it is less money than when I smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424
    I spend about $40 a week. I figure it is less money than when I smoked.
    Oh, man....I smoke, too.

Quarry - you are brave. When I think about the thousands of dollars I've spent this year on fragrances I head for the tranquilizers!

But maybe I'd need more tranquilizers without my "hobby"? *severly rationalizes*:bounce:

I won't say how much I spent (oh, the horror), but I also sold. I've whittled my list down to about nine items, most of which will still be there a year from now.

I excelled in impulse buying in 2006 and would like to curb this tendency. I have this problem of not considering relatively inexpensive eBay items as part of my grander list, so they don't count. I generally got a new "fancy" bottle every month or so, but I stopped short of prices I considered egregious. I replaced things I consistently use and tried some new ones. Most of my non-impulse buys this year were Citronnier, Clair de Musc, Intense Tiare, DK Gold, Les Nereides Opoponax and Patchouli Antique, PdN Sacrebleu ("bleu" through this one), Cococabana, Vanille-Tonka, Chinatown, West Side, Ambre Russe,Kenzoamour, Sira des Indes, and Poussiere de Rose. Three of these didn't make it long-term and I didn't pay full retail for many of them.

I enjoy looking at the list I had last year at this time. A few of the items are still on the list today, although many have dropped off to be replaced by newer things. It appears I liked a husky vetiver scent in 2005, since both VO and VE appeared. And I liked spicy, which I now avoid.

Winnowed down my collection by a great amount. Actually bought a few cosmetic and clothing items also, which I rarely do.

Oh, dear, I just counted, and I have spent almost twice as much as you, Quarry! I came up to 700$. But this is my first year really being interested... I have bought as small bottles as possible, nearly all 30 mL, some even smaller. Only one 50 mL. Some where really low-price or at air-port-price. On this concept I have got 23 bottles.

Yes, I am really making spending resolutions for the next year!!! But with my wardrobe, that wounīt be difficult. I have a gang of really lovely perfumes!

And why not let an interest cost some money... Other interests doas, and noone finds it odd. Skiing, for example, or sailing...

I do really hope I will write a much lower sum for the next year!
    Last edited by Margareta; 7th December 2006 at 06:14 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Margareta
    And why not let an interest cost some money... Skiing, for example, or sailing...
    Exactly! Most interests cost something--movies, music, sports, pets, and then there are those who consume a whole basement with model railroading. We are wise in this hobby. We don't risk athletic injury. Frags aren't fattening. The bottles don't consume unreasonable space in our homes. Scent makes us more attractive and brings pleasure into virtually every day. The real kicker is, the community who compose this hobby are especially cordial (evidence: Basenotes), and we are all better off financially for swapping, selling, and buying at discount here. Our money isn't "spent;" it's invested. So, I may have doled out 400 bucks, but I got hours--nay, a whole year--of enjoyment in return.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Sheeesh!

I've only been "seriously involved" for a couple of months and I'm pretty sure I've gone this far already. Am with Shycat and others who really don't want to start tallying!

Don't smoke. Don't drink or do drugs. Have always indulged in the Three Fs...Food, Flowers and Fragrance. (Not necessarily in that order!)

Color me indulgent! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

All I’m going to say is that:

“You can’t put a price-tag on happiness!”

I think that should tell you all my friends…
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Smile Re: I spent $400 in 2006 on frags--and you?

It's funny that this very thing was on my mind. This is the first year I have gotten on perfume sites and have really gotten into it so I don't think I will be spending as much in the future, but then again, I have only begun the Niche houses. Tinker you really saved the day for me. I had forgotten, but I quit smoking and when you consider what you spend on that, the perfumes are really not that much at all. I have already made mistakes and have hopefully learned from them, such as the scents I can't wear, buying stuff unsniffed because it has great reviews. Buying what others think is best for me which have ended in the trash or been given away or used as air freshener, or made into bath oil. The best thing I have learned is that my nose is my judge after I have worn something at least a day. I love suggestions that I can try, but when it comes down to it, who will live in it.

I estimate some where in the neighborhood of $1500.00 but I try not to count!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

I honestly donīt know (donīt want to know), but I think Iīve spent less this year than I did in 2005, because Iīve become a tiny bit more selective and less impulsive. Not a day passes, though, without me sitting there in front of my computer, putting frags in the chart at some online-store, only to empty it and log out, change my mind, log in again, put frags back in chart, think about my poor economy, empty chart, and log out again.
    Over and over again...

Iīve spent over 1000$, though, thatīs for sure. (FREIGHT included, mind you! )
    Last edited by musse; 7th December 2006 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by musse
    Not a day passes, though, without me sitting there in front of my computer, putting frags in the chart at some online-store, only to empty it and log out, change my mind, log in again, put frags back in chart, think about my poor economy, empty chart, and log out again.
    Over and over again...
    omg how many times have i done this! lol! there are SO MANY things to try! i tried to give myself, once i realized i was out of control, a $100 (or less) a month budget, but since imposing this budget (november) i've already blown it. so my new year's resolution is: stick to the budget already!
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

I play the internet shopping cart game, too! I'm so glad to know I'm not alone. Another friend and I also do it with shoes. She calls it 'dating' an item.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    Oh, man....I smoke, too.
    Me too. Initially I justified my new addiction to BF by saying it was less than smoking, and at that time I had quit. Now I get raised eyebrows for both offenses.
    Last edited by pellen; 8th December 2006 at 01:37 AM.

I've spent about $200 give or take a few dollars.

I started started my collecting this year too, I only have 7-8 bottles right now and plenty of samples. Oh yeah I'm only just turned 15 too, so by the time I'm about 25 I wish to have a impressive collection.

Great post. I have wondered what some must spend on fragrances. Great points also. If you look at this as a hobby it is not too bad price wise (you do not want to know how much I spent on the model railroad I once had, but it only took up half the basement).

You can look at fragrances as aromatherapy and the soothing and calming properties they can bring. To add to what one member above wrote about the happiness it brings, when you have the right scent on and you sneak that sniff and it puts a smile on your face.

My total is also around the $400 mark, but there are a few more purchases planned prior to year end. I do expect that to increase in 2007.

samples, decants, full bottles:

2006 - $1000
    2005 - $1900

ouch

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    The bottles don't consume unreasonable space in our homes.
    Ehhhh I would not be too sure about that, Quarry!

Did not want to know and then I just became too curious and just had to know.

Only fragrances bought for myself, eh? No gifts or additional bathproducts?
    Right: full bottles and samples/decants: 2700 Euro.

And that is really not too bad considering the fact that one purchase was a bottle of 10 year old immaculate Djedi from Guerlain. More a keepsake then something I will use (at least not this year).
    So it seems I have not been a very bad woman. Yay, start Christmas shopping, I'll be there
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Holy Moly!
    I had a quick look on my wardrobe and did a quick estimation. I have spent about $1200 USD this year on perfume. A big chunk went into the accounts of SL, Bond No. 9 and Houbigant.
    I am hoping to slow down and buy less in 2007. I think I should be spending some money in the shoes department. He He He.

Basenotes Institution

Joining the choir of those who say we spent more than we should have. In 2005 I tried to invest about 40 dollars a month, in 2006 I managed to spend about 100 dollars a month (and S&H was a killer, too) on fragrances only. Then there are soaps, gels, lotions (I have about 30 bottles/tubes of lotions and cremes, and I wish there were a way to decant them too!), decanting supplies, mailing supplies, candy bars....

To globetrekker: I hear you! Mr.Twolf is building a railroad (HO scale) with everything remote-operated and true lights and sound, and his expenses are way exceeding mine!

And we both smoke, too!

Default Hunting and sniffing

I tend to really commit to things when I like them, so I do a lot of testing (about $50 worth from luckyscent this year) before I get something; I'm very cautious in my purchases. I only barely managed to restrain my urge to buy a bottle of Jicky EDP with which I had just fallen in love. That said, I just got a bottle of CDG's Zagorsk ($52) and MAC's MV3 ($25). Almost embarassingly little compared to what others have spent, but there aren't many fragrances out there that I actually take to!

Talking Re: I spent $400 in 2006 on frags--and you?

Jeez...

I see some people ran up their credit card for fragrances... Any way to pay it back, or are some people counting on finances in America getting so bad that everything will collapse, hopefully being absolved of the responsibility of their debt?

It's amazing... I like coming on here to learn more about fragrances, and I like the experience of going to a mall or a shop to window shop and talk with sales people about fragrances. I can shop there for several hours and never feel like I have to buy anything. No desire. It's like being some festivals where the activity is mainly watching shows and performances, and there are no products for sale.

Consumerism has gone rampant in this country. People buying houses, taking out home equity lines of credit (HELOC's) to buy anything, like BMW's, vacations, jewelry. There are even some big-name collectors who have fragrances collections that run many multiples of my savings, which in turn dwarf my own fragrance wardrobe.

That said, I'll admit that I have bought 6 fragrances this year at a total cost of about $110. With cash. All mine. I did so only because I'm just now running out of my stash that my sister gave to me 7 years ago. My entire 20's and early 30's was supplied (free) by my sister, who was in the fragrance business at the time. I've never had more than 5 or 6 fragrances at a time. This is the first time I've ever bought fragrances! I just happened to get interested as I looked in my cedar box and thought, "Hmmm, looks like it's time to get something for myself."

Even with 6 fragrances, I feel like I'm already overboard in my wardrobe. I mean, am I going to be able to use all these in 3-4 years time? I won't even buy at department stores, because they all have the highest prices to be found anywhere. I even set up a spreadsheet to prove that to myself. I shop at fragrance shops NOT set in malls. I'm finding that deals can be had for 50-75% of retail price, sometimes even better.

You could say that I'm a terrible consumer...

deafdrummer, nominee for Worse Consumer 2006

I i have spent a considerable amout but i just didn't keep track of it.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdrummer

Even with 6 fragrances, I feel like I'm already overboard in my wardrobe. I mean, am I going to be able to use all these in 3-4 years time?
    Please, indulge this poor sinner How do you manage to use only an averige of less than two bottles a year? Do you have scents that last on you the whole day, are you not using scent every day...? Just immensely curious and intrigued

I spent approximately US$346... Too much for a guy?!
    Currently wearing: Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    I spent approximately US$346... Too much for a guy?!
    Absolutely not!!!
    This is most reasonable. As a BN member, that is.

Quarry, thanks so much for starting this thread! Now I don't feel as badly about the huge library of decants sitting on my dresser. I'm a real ebay-decant person because I'm still heavily into the sampling stage.
    But I was stunned when I added up my ebay purchases (including the typically exorbitant ebay postage) - $990. I had no idea...
    But then I realized it cost me $100 in gas to fly my plane up to have Thanksgiving with my sister. And I didn't think anything of spending that on one flight. And a friend is heading down for a two-week skiing trip that will cost him $2000 or so. So I guess it *is* all relative. Still, I was pretty surprised... I had considered myself a fragrance dabbler, but at some point it slid over into passion.

Um, too much? About $1,000 ish I think. It all started in February with my first bottle of L'Artisan, Mure et Musc, and spiraled out if control from there. Finally took the plunge into niche fragrances and the beast was born. Also acquired my first Frederic Malle, Carnal Flower, and Serge Lutens, Cedre, this year. I don't want to even think about next year...

Smile Re: I spent $400 in 2006 on frags--and you?

Considering...I allways give special Niche scents to my lady friends, I would say I spent about 3,000 this year, myself included. by the way I'm not a womanizer, I'm gay, and love to have all the ladies in my life smell special.