Code of Conduct

Default What scents winter?

I'd like to know which scent/s you think epitomize winter. Specifically what scent makes you think of that first good snow fall, when everything is clean and quiet, and the Earth is nestled under her cozy new blanket? I'm also interested in other wintery aspects, but that one's got me beguiled right now. I love winter, believe it or not, just wish it didn't last so dang long, and am getting very excited about the start of the season and want to celebrate it.

Default Re: What scents winter?

Scents with pine and incense are what I'm thinking of most now as the season turns more toward winter.

Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice and CDG Avignon will get a lot of play for me in the upcoming weeks.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

Iris Poudre -- waking up to a fresh snowfall on a crisp winter morning so clear that the sky is iris blue. A whiff of wood smoke off in the distance.

Question Re: What scents winter?

[QUOTE=pellen]I'd like to know which scent/s you think epitomize winter. Specifically what scent makes you think of that first good snow fall, when everything is clean and quiet, and the Earth is nestled under her cozy new blanket? I'm also interested in other wintery aspects, but that one's got me beguiled right now. I love winter, believe it or not, just wish it didn't last so dang long, and am getting very excited about the start of the season and want to celebrate it.[/QUOTE

Have you tried Neiges, by your own Lise Watier? I'm fond of it in our hot Virginia summer, as well.

Interestingly Montale's Aoud Rose Petals remind me of winter. There is a slight, camphorous odor present which makes me think of moth balls and woolens- the rose, is from a perfume left behind on a beloved coat from last year. This one is a restrained, chilly rose on the dryout and if I sniff beyond the rose, I swear I can smell the first inkling of snow in cold, dry air.
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

The only one of my frags I just want to wear at winter is YSL Nu. It´s because of it´s spicyness. Here is cardamom very clear, and fun. But it don´t remind me of the first snow, I am connecting it to all winter-celebrations, with christmas as number 1.

The rest of my fragances aren´t specific winter-frags.

Lorenzo Villoresi - Teinte de Neige

JC Ellena's L'eau d'Hiver from the Frédéric Malle line: the scent of fresh snow and caramel.
    Becomes more floral if worn in summer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Thanks for your great suggestions everyone! I'll give them a try. Now if it would just hurry up and actually snow here...

SL Iris Silver Mist reminds me of cold silent grandeur, almost more outer space than snow and ice.

I wouldn't choose to wear it in the winter when it actually is cold and snowy. I thrill to the contrast in life and fragrance. It magnifies the beauty of both.

CdG White has the feel of a bright, crisp cold winter day.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Smile Re: What scents winter?

I can wear my stronger Gourmands and tropicals without worrying about suffocating anyone. Then when I go to sleep at night, I spray on my CSP's and dream I am in the tropic's by the beach with my pina Colada with the little unbrella in it, my long hula skirt and lei. I'm also a few years younger.

One that reminds me of winter, but more specifically Christmas season and all the festivities that go along with it is:

Ayala Moriel's Fete d'Hiver

For the first snowfall of the season my sister and I both agreed to wear mystical Samsara... I suppose that one too reminds me of something magical that's hidden in those first few crystal snowflakes.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I believe "winter" is a very individual category - more so than "summer", for example, much more dependent on the individual's way of life and attitudes.

With that in mind, I would say that the perfume to wear depends on the day, on the "colours" of a particular winter, and of course on the personality of the woman wearing the scent.
    Personally I, too, prefer contrasting my scent to the colours and smells of winter rather than "complementing" them. Which is why I choose scents that I wouldn't normally use in warmer days or climates: unabashedly flowery florals, but with a certain "zing" (God save us from sticky, soapy dry-downs in winter! ).

One of my favourite memories is the winter of 1985/86: white, pleasantly cold & crisp, with a wonderful whiff of YSL' "Paris" dancing all the way through it.

And, of course, there's always Balmain's "Ivoire", one of the great - and grossly underrated - scents of the late 20th century. A discreet but effective chamaeleon, if there ever was one. Wonderful in summer - positively MAGICAL in winter.