Code of Conduct

Default Question for the Ladies

Ladies,

I've got to buy my mother a fragrance.

I sampled a couple tonight (Hypnotic Poison, CoCo, Lovely)

My thoughts:

Hypnotic Poison = PI. I know they aren't exactly the same, but the similarity (PI is much stronger) was startling. My mother hates my PI.

Coco: WOW!!! Not what I expected. PLEASANTLY surprised. The Orange is divine. Not at all cloying like most citrusy fragrances.

Lovely: I liked, not quite as much as Coco. However the price is 1/3 of Coco.

Angel: I liked it, but I doubt she would. She prefers something softer. I think it would give her a headache.

Now my questions. How is the sillage in Coco compared to Lovely? I also didn't sample on skin, but on paper. How great is the difference? Finally, what are some other scents that I must sample before making a buy?

Thanks lady basenoters.
    Last edited by steveharrisonmc; 8th December 2006 at 11:51 PM.

Default Re: Question for the Ladies

Hi!

I don't think Hypnotic Poison smells anything like Pi, but it's different on each person.

Do you know which fragrances she currently wears or has worn in the past? Is she hip or traditional?

BTW, I am buying my mother and mother-in-law Insolence by Guerlin. If she's into florals (both are), it's very pretty and feminine. But not for everyone.

Someone on this forum has suggested buying a bottle of perfume and packaging it with a sample, so she can return it if she doesn't like it, unopened.

I think Lovely or Coco either one would both be nice choices. I don't own Coco, so I cannot attest to it's sillage, but Lovely's isn't all that great beyond the first, oh...half hour or so? It just doesn't last very long (on me anyway). But it's very pretty nonetheless.

Enclosing a sample with the gift so she can return it if she doesn't like it is a great idea, too.

You're very sweet to be going to so much trouble to get your mom a frag.
    ~*Christy*~

Yes, I agree with Cherub, it would be helpful if we knew the kinds of scents she does like.

Lovely is gorgeous, and on me at least it does have wonderful sillage and happens to last quite a long time too. On the other hand, Coco edt, at least - as I did not try edp was wonderful at first, only to turn into something really unattractive in the end. I found it very tricky and temperamental so I personally would not be taking a chance with choosing it as a gift for anyone - since she is your mom, that might not be as much of an issue.

I would also like to suggest you try Le Baiser du Dragon if you like the orange note in Coco; at least on me the Dragon was wonderful from the beginning to the end.

Best of luck...
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Talking Re: Question for the Ladies

Here's the thing

My mother doesn't really wear many fragrances. She has a bottle of no 5 and thats it.

What happened was that she saw that I bought a bottle of Douce Amere and wanted to test it. She said it was nice and asked why I never bought her any perfume. So I thought about it and figured I'd buy her something and surprise her [since we don't celebrate Christmas, I don't have any deadline]

Anyhoos, I know that my mother actually liked the Douce Amere, as well as she likes my Green Irish Tweed, Floris Santal, and Himalaya.

The ones she didn't like were the ones that were somewhat heady and powerful, PI, Xyerus Rouge, M7, Aquaman.

Something simple, with good sillage but not strong. She doesn't like anything thats strong or overapplied. Anything within that ballpark and I should be alright. Florals and herbs would probably be best because she is an amazing gardner and has worked with gardening for decades. Roses, rosemary, lavender, mint all are things that she likes. Thanks for the suggestions

I vote CoCo edp, warmer, longer lasting sillage than edt.
    Lovely has an artificial appletini note in it that gets old REAL quick. Le Baiser is beautiful but smells like a typical department store oriental after a few hours.

COCO is one big, heavy scent, very dramatic and, on me, prone to fits. LOVELY, as pointed out above, grows old quickly, although it was the soapy smokiness of it that did my nose in (I find this scent "gray"). Coco is far more aggressive than Lovely.

I think COCO is going in the wrong direction for you. I'd try something leaner and lighter, like Parfums de Rosine Zest de Rose or Rose d'Ete. Very easy to like, easy on the nose, sprightly, not power hitters.

Le Baiser Du Dragon is my favorite by far from beginning to end, but she may not appreciate this for it is very different than Chanel 5, very oriental Marzipan, patchouli, and wood mainly. If she has Chanel 5, maybe she might like Arpege or Joy.

Maybe try AG's Les Nuits d'Hadrien?

(copied from adorebeauty.com):
    Top Notes - explosive bergamot and icy Sicilian lemon, heightened by green mandarin, spiced by tangerine and enlivened by Artemisia, an aromatic herb, fiery and tantalising.
    Middles Notes –Mediterranean cypress, both fresh and spicy. Warmed by a hint of basil, Egyptian cumin and fruity accents of juniper bay. Sensual ylang-ylang from the Comoros – an exotic variation that is gentle and dreamy
    Base Notes - rich vanilla, sandalwood and mysterious Indonesian patchouli. Comfortable like warm amber and white musk.

...This makes it sound wilder than it really is; I find it to be quite refined, but also fresh... mostly I thought of it since you said she would like herbal notes, and because it's not very strong. Have to say though, that on me the sillage leaves something to be desired... but that doesn't stop me from wearing it, I just use a bit more than usual ;-)

Good luck!

I would have voted for Coco from among your list, but have only ever tested it, not for a long period of time so I can't attest to its drydown.

However, I would suggest for you to sample Narciso Rodriquez for Her, the edt version. It has become my failsafe fragrance, in the sense that it smells simply beautiful and feminine , it is warm, soft, floral, like a rosey musk, and I have received ONLY compliments from both men and women. This is a fragrance that is unobtrusive enough to wear to work, but truly lovely as an evening fragrance imo.
    The edp has a sharper note in it compared to the softer, warmer edt, but is also lovely. I prefer and own the edt.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

A few possibles that come to mind (wonderful, feminine, elegant with subtle but lasting sillage) are:

Lolita Lempicka L - similar vibe to SL Douce Amere
    Jean Patou Climat
    Lanvin Arpege
    Basile Classic - softer, smoother scent twin to Coco
    Van Cleef & Arpels First - similar vibe to No.5 but unique
    Guy Larouche Fidji - wonderful smooth green floral chypre, very wearable
    Jean Patou Mille et Une Rose
    Guerlain Jardins de Bagatelle
    SL Sa Majeste la Rose
    Ivoire de Balmain - smooth woody floral , similar to No.19 minus the leather
    Caron Parfum Sacre - ambery soft rose and myrrh
    Caron Bellodgia - carnations

As I mentioned on a previous thread it would be very thoughtful if you were to collect a bundle of labelled 1-2ml samples of all you have sniffed and liked (samples vials can be purchased from www.pilotvials.com very affordably) and sent them wrapped along with a small pretty note book for her to keep notes about her likes / dislikes, impressions, etc and a handmade coupon for her to receive a full bottle of her favourite / choice, from you. A gift like that will remain in the memory and heart forever...

That way you are sharing your interest with her (which it sounds like she would enjoy) and you are less likely to make a dud buy.

I wish you the best in your search and do hope you find the perfect scent to give.

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by Paisley
    COCO is one big, heavy scent, very dramatic and, on me, prone to fits. LOVELY, as pointed out above, grows old quickly, although it was the soapy smokiness of it that did my nose in (I find this scent "gray"). Coco is far more aggressive than Lovely.

I think COCO is going in the wrong direction for you. I'd try something leaner and lighter, like Parfums de Rosine Zest de Rose or Rose d'Ete. Very easy to like, easy on the nose, sprightly, not power hitters.
    I agree with Paisley, it sounds like Coco may be the wrong direction if you're mother likes to garden and appreciates the natural smells of blossoms, greenery and herbs, etc.

Moondeva has some good suggestions. I like many of Annick Goutal's fragrances for their floral and green notes, particularly Eau de Camille. Grand Amour is a very rich heady floral. L'eau d'Hadrien was a good suggestion. Maybe also Diorella in that vein. She may like Fracas - it's supposed to be a powerful heady fragrance, but on me it dries down soft, clean and spicy-green-floral. She might like Chanel No. 19 or Cristalle, or Une Fleur de Chanel. But you never know how someone is going to react to fragrance because it's so individual. Giving her a bundle of samples to try would be the most fun for her. When she finds one she loves, then you know for sure which to buy for her.

Good luck! You are a thoughful son!

I asked my son to go to the perfume counter and buy a mini collection of whatever and let it be a surprise for me. This is a sort of variation on MoonDeva's excellent suggestion and a lot less trouble.

'Course I'm a frag-aholic - doesn't sound like your Mom is. More like I used to be before I got bitten - one or two "safe" scents per year - a Chanel, Guerlaine, Caron or Lancome - whatever was in the headlines.

No matter what you do it will be the right thing! :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze