Code of Conduct

Thread: Smooth Classics

Thrax

Default Smooth Classics

Thanks to a very generous basenoter I finally got to try the ever to hyped, Havana by Aramis. Upon application I was thinking "why in the hell is this a classic?" After about 15 minutes I just stopped smelling my wrist because this stuff was going nowhere. About an hour later I cought this amazing scent coming up from somewhere. Sure enough I smelled my wrist and I'd be damned if it wasnt the Havana. As sure as I had dismissed it, it came back and was something amazing. I am currently waiting to get a bottle. This got me thinking, if I missed out on this one for so long then what else am I missing!?! I love Havana cause it is just so damn smooth. So what would you guys think that are classics (or atleast classics in the making) that have the same smooth vibe to it. I am waiting breathless for your replies...

Default Re: Smooth Classics

Thrax,

I am not sure how many of these you've tried, but they all seem to fit what you're looking for.

Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre
    Aramis Tuscany
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Cartier Santos de Cartier (vintage 1981 formulation)
    Givenchy Gentleman (vintage formulation)
    Guerlain Derby (vintage 1985 formulation)
    Guerlain Héritage EDP
    Guerlain Vetiver EDC (vintage 1961 formulation)
    Hermès Bel Ami
    Hermès Equipage
    Jean Patou Patou Pour Homme
    Jean Patou Patou Pour Homme Prive
    Léonard Pour Homme
    Loewe Pour Homme
    Molyneux Captain Molyneux
    Nino Cerruti Pour Homme
    Ungaro Ungaro Pour L’Homme I
    Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP

I apologize if there are a large number of hard-to-find classics in the list, but, like Havana, they are some serious smooth stuff of the they-don't-make-them-like-they used-to ilk.

scentemental

I often have have that strange, where has my fragrance gone moment?, about half an hour after application; it dips and then I have longevity on those same frags for ages.

The frag that fits your bill (for me) is Chanel pour Monsieur Concentree. It was the one that got me interested in spending money on a decent scent when I had more no than my rent money in my pocket. It is the one that I reach for now on the occasions that I put a tie on, or when I iron a shirt. I have had this for years, but it is only now that I am appreciating how smooth, complex, and utterly magnetic this is.
    Last edited by michaeld39; 9th December 2006 at 08:45 PM.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    Thrax,

I am not sure how many of these you've tried, but they all seem to fit what you're looking for.

I apologize if there are a large number of hard-to-find classics in the list, but, like Havana, they are some serious smooth stuff of the they-don't-make-them-like-they used-to ilk.

scentemental
    You are so damn right about that Scentemental, they don't........money , fast money, make it fast, ship it out fast, hype it up and sell it fast, our whole society has become fast. That is what is driving the market........
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Blog Entries

The first thing that came to mind as a "smooth classic" was CK Obsession...but I'm sure you've smelled that one before .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    The first thing that came to mind as a "smooth classic" was CK Obsession...but I'm sure you've smelled that one before .
    Everyone including my unborn son has smelled that one. But it is nice. Actually have a bottle of it on the way right now.

I'll toss a bottle of Habit Rouge onto the pile!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    Thrax,

Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre
    Aramis Tuscany
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Cartier Santos de Cartier (vintage 1981 formulation)
    Givenchy Gentleman (vintage formulation)
    Guerlain Derby (vintage 1985 formulation)
    Guerlain Héritage EDP
    Guerlain Vetiver EDC (vintage 1961 formulation)
    Hermès Bel Ami
    Hermès Equipage
    Jean Patou Patou Pour Homme
    Jean Patou Patou Pour Homme Prive
    Léonard Pour Homme
    Loewe Pour Homme
    Molyneux Captain Molyneux
    Nino Cerruti Pour Homme
    Ungaro Ungaro Pour L’Homme I
    Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP

scentemental
    I am the lucky owner of a few on this list, and i'll throw in Gucci Envy for men, Caron Le 3me Homme, and Creed's Royal Delight!
    Last edited by knightowl; 9th December 2006 at 05:32 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Seconding the Caron Third Man along with Trussardi Uomo, which is somewhere along the lines as Van Cleef & Arpels and Léonard pour Homme.

J H L

nearfantastica

Lalique (the lion)... gets about as smooth as it gets... and is sure to be a classic, if it isn't already....

Give this one a try, Jesse...

a.

Thumbs up Re: Smooth Classics

V.O. Version Original Pour Homme ~Marc Sinan
    Versailles Pour Homme~Jean Desprez
    Morabito Or Black~Pascal Morabito

I'll add Cerruti Fair Play and Aramis Devin, to the offers so far.

"You are so damn right about that Scentemental, they don't........money , fast money, make it fast, ship it out fast, hype it up and sell it fast, our whole society has become fast. That is what is driving the market......"

So true. The worry for me, as a lover of classics, is that they are becoming harder to track down. I realised this through conversations with owners of independant shops, during a recent trip to Paris. Time was, not long ago, a trip across the channel would yield lots of booty, not any more. Tougher and tougher to find, reflected in the prices, too

Dependent

I have Caron Pour un Homme and every time I consider wearing it, I ask myself, wouldn't I have a better experience having the help dangle me 70 stories from the penthouse balcony.

Ten minutes after applying CPUH we're in love. It's the musk in that bottle that strangles me for a few moments and then all is well.

I'd still consider standing on the tracks and playing chicken with the subway trains zooming around under 42nd street instead.

Hence you'll find it on my swap list. Maybe someone who lives in siberia and plays that game on horseback with the goats head.

Overcome By Fumes

Diptyque Eau Lente

I dont consider Havana to be smooth.
    All the Guerlains Ive tried are very smooth and velvety.

One that I saw in your wardrobe that fits the bill in my mind is Burberry London(1995).

Heritage by Guerlain, Excellent fragrence.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Balenciaga's Ho Hang is a smoothy, too.

Royal English Leather is the smoothest, creamiest, beige Rolls-Royce interior leather ever.

Villoresi's Sandalo is as smoothed out a Sandalwood as there is, in the best possible way.

Bogart (1975), in the way that Vetiver hombre is. Herbally smooth

Maxim's. Chaotic top, very rich, settles into a classic masculine smoothness.

Cacharel pour homme. Soothing smoothness.

Musc Ravageur is incredibly smooth to me. It's like wrapping yourself in a warm sweet blanket of vanilla cinnamon & musk,as opposed to MKK's animalic atttack. Daim Blond and Douce Amère by Lutens are smooth in a full and creamy way.

Lest I forget Identité pour homme. Smooth gourmand, cognac, brown sugar, creamy caramel coffee. Very comfortable
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

You cant say smooth with out mentioning Chanel Egoiste. Im shure you have tried this, but if you havent...

I dont know what to say.

Its like wearing a really expensive and warm leather jacket in a windy autum day. When your strolling a long the streets of Praque. You fing a nice old bar in the back end of a dark street. You walk in, take a seat and light your cigar. You order good smokey Blairmhor whiskey. Take a zip and let your body feel warm inside. There you just sit and lissen to Tom Waits coming out of the juke box, you just sit there and get lost in the dance that is our world...

Dior Jules.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I couldn't agree more Thrax. I tried a sample sent with a decant order from Joel_Cairo and fell deeply in love with it almost at once, but was head over heels in love with it after the drydown about 1/2 hour later. I immediately did a web search and found a 1.7 oz bottle which I promptly ordered and am waiting anxiously for. Well, heck, I fall deeply in love with almost EVERY thing I try lately. Bois du Portugal, Tea For Two and LesNez Let Me Play The Lion in particular. This is getting interesting.

I only hope I don't slip into the same buying frenzy I had when I discovered Portugese Vintage Oporto wines 25 years ago! I think I will have to leave a few hundred undrunk bottles of that delightful beverage for posterity as my eyes were much larger than my capacity to drink it has become..
    Last edited by kbe; 9th December 2006 at 11:58 PM.

Red face Re: Smooth Classics

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    Everyone including my unborn son has smelled that one.
    I'm a little afraid to ask how that happened!

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    I am the lucky owner of a few on this list, and i'll throw in Gucci Envy for men, Caron Le 3me Homme, and Creed's Royal Delight!
    I'd kill to try Royal Delight because it sounds like it is right up my alley. I also say that I would like to give Royal English Leather another try. I recieved a sample of it one time and it just didnt seem to be "my thing." Though now, it might just be. Keep the suggestions rolling in.

Other ways of saying "Smooth Classics" are Fumerie Turque , JHL , Le Dandy , L'Homme Sage , Pi , Patou pour Homme Privé , Fou d'Absinthe , New York , Brownstone , and last but not least, Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum .

Take your pick Jesse but that's not an offer to swap any of them .

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    Other ways of saying "Smooth Classics" are Fumerie Turque , JHL , Le Dandy , L'Homme Sage , Pi , Patou pour Homme Privé , Fou d'Absinthe , New York , Brownstone , and last but not least, Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum .

Take your pick Jesse but that's not an offer to swap any of them .

Dan
    Ah, come on Dan. I know you are dying to give me that Fumerie Turque as a christmas present.

Cool Re: Smooth Classics

Thrax:

OK so we're talking about not having enough o's in smooth to describe it, right?

Egoiste, of course, fits that category to a t, as already noted. I see you have Antaeus in your wardrobe--which you give 5 stars. I'm with you there, though it's not as smooth as Egoiste. Ergo Egoiste. (but get a small decant first)

BtW I seem to rememeber somewhere in the reviews of Havana that it starts out as a train wreck but then it all comes together after a few minutes. Quite so.

Besides everything Scentimental and everyone else rightly posted, if you need to check out more--

(Of course you do, anyone can hold down a job or have a relationship--let's get our BN priorities right.)

I highly recommend three you may have missed:

1. Signature by St Dupont--discontinued of course, no one said it'd be easy.

It's an incredibly well blended mix of of incense, amber, pepper and benzoin-- rather like " CdG meets Egoiste. " One of those 'elegant' frags that you can also wear with blue jeans. Cool Oriental, not the least bit gimmicky despite the weird notes.

2. Dunhill '34--Damn I'm tired of praising this frag! What's the hell's the matter with--sorry, never mind. In any case, It also starts as a bit of a train wreck. I mean come on! Lemon and lavender as top notes with leather and cedarwood at the base? No matter. The floral heart is superb. (rose, jasmin, orris and carnation) No, it's not too sweet-- Jaipur, for exampe, is much sweeter it's-- Say, did I mention these are really well blended ?

3. Le Roy Soleil by Dali--Wow! Some call it a summer version of Geir, only better. Another gem. Perhaps the closest to Havana of all the ones I've mentioned, not only in 'feel' but in scent. It's a citrus--sort of--with wood rose from Brazil, Egyptian geranium, ozone, etc.

Cheers.

Mario.
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 10th December 2006 at 06:36 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    I'd kill to try Royal Delight because it sounds like it is right up my alley. I also say that I would like to give Royal English Leather another try. I recieved a sample of it one time and it just didnt seem to be "my thing." Though now, it might just be. Keep the suggestions rolling in.
    I just sampled Royal Delight, and it has a fleeting resemblance to Royal English Leather - if its a sugary, nectareous monster concoction ala A*Men or Serge Lutens Arabie that you are looking for, Royal Delight might not fit the bill.

I need to sample and wear it more before I can pass final judgment on it.
    Last edited by zztopp; 10th December 2006 at 07:12 AM.
    -

Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani
    Thrax:

OK so we're talking about not having enough o's in smooth to describe it, right?

Egoiste, of course, fits that category to a t, as already noted. I see you have Antaeus in your wardrobe--which you give 5 stars. I'm with you there, though it's not as smooth as Egoiste. Ergo Egoiste. (but get a small decant first)

BtW I seem to rememeber somewhere in the reviews of Havana that it starts out as a train wreck but then it all comes together after a few minutes. Quite so.

Besides everything Scentimental and everyone else rightly posted, if you need to check out more--

(Of course you do, anyone can hold down a job or have a relationship--let's get our BN priorities right.)

I highly recommend three you may have missed:

1. Signature by St Dupont--discontinued of course, no one said it'd be easy.

It's an incredibly well blended mix of of incense, amber, pepper and benzoin-- rather like " CdG meets Egoiste. " One of those 'elegant' frags that you can also wear with blue jeans. Cool Oriental, not the least bit gimmicky despite the weird notes.

2. Dunhill '34--Damn I'm tired of praising this frag! What's the hell's the matter with--sorry, never mind. In any case, It also starts as a bit of a train wreck. I mean come on! Lemon and lavender as top notes with leather and cedarwood at the base? No matter. The floral heart is superb. (rose, jasmin, orris and carnation) No, it's not too sweet-- Jaipur, for exampe, is much sweeter it's-- Say, did I mention these are really well blended ?

3. Le Roy Soleil by Dali--Wow! Some call it a summer version of Geir, only better. Another gem. Perhaps the closest to Havana of all the ones I've mentioned, not only in 'feel' but in scent. It's a citrus--sort of--with wood rose from Brazil, Egyptian geranium, ozone, etc.

Cheers.

Mario.
    Very nice Mario! I find Soliel by Dali to be very citrusy. Perhaps I didnt give it enough time to dry down when I had a bottle of it. I gave it up as a christmas present to a basenoter friend. I find Antaeus to be the version of Habit Rouge that I like, though it could be a bit smoother. I can not sing enough praise in this catagory to Obsession PH. What a amber and cinnamon monster! I believe that Balenciaga PH may fall into this catagory as well, though I am not quite sure. Might I chime in and add Opium PH EDP. Thats nearly as smooth as it gets, with longevity that rivals nuclear winter.

I clean forgot to mention Antaeus!

That is really smooth and a true classic.