Code of Conduct

Default Male scent that smells like Opium

My BF loves Opium. I hate it, for me. But he, who is a non-frag person, has suggested that if there was a male frag that smelled like Opium, he would wear it. I suggested that he just wear Opium, but he feels that is too girly. So, my question to you gents is: can you name some male (or masculine) scents that smell like Opium? Thanks!

Default Re: Male scent that smells like Opium

How about Opium pour homme?
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

1. I don't think Opium pour Homme smells anything like Opium.
    2. If he likes Opium, why doesn't he just wear it? Honestly, why try to find something that smells the same but is intended for men? Write "for men" on the bottle if that's so important.
    3. I think JHL by Aramis smells a little like Opium, but it's discontinued.
    4. There's a perfume oil by Auric Blends called Black Opium that I think bears some resemblance to Opium, except I find it richer and spicier and I like it better actually. Like YSL's Opium, it's not labeled "for men" or "for women," if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by d4; 9th December 2006 at 06:15 PM.

Wink Re: Male scent that smells like Opium

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    How about Opium pour homme?
    I think - it was a joke. To me Opium pour homme and Opium are totally different scents.
    Of course, they are both orientals
    Last edited by DreamerII; 9th December 2006 at 06:19 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by d4
    1. If he likes Opium, why doesn't he just wear it? Honestly, why try to find something that smells the same but is intended for men? Write "for men" on the bottle if that's so important.
    That is kind of how I look at it, actually, but he seems to feel that the scent of Opium is something he likes, but he does find it feminine. So I think he wants similar notes, but with something more archetypically masculine thrown in; whatever that might be. I'm okay with finding something a little different, too, because like I said, I hate Opium.

Quote Originally Posted by pellen
    That is kind of how I look at it, actually, but he seems to feel that the scent of Opium is something he likes, but he does find it feminine. So I think he wants similar notes, but with something more archetypically masculine thrown in; whatever that might be. I'm okay with finding something a little different, too, because like I said, I hate Opium.
    I'd skip JHL. It's hard to find and might smell just as feminine, although it is intended for men. (Others will surely think it's not feminine at all or not like Opium at all or both.)

I do suggest trying the Auric Blends Black Opium. I think it's bolder (perhaps more masculine?) than YSL Opium, and it comes in a 1/3-fl.oz roll-on for only $7.

JHL is not discontinued. It is in limited production. It is quite difficult to find in stores but easy to find online (perfumebay.com has it). You may have slightly better luck finding it in stores during the holidays (Nov., Dec., Jan). I find it to be very masculine and I also love its female counterpart Cinnabar on women. There may be BN-ers that have these available as samples or decants on the sale/swap boards.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 9th December 2006 at 11:14 PM.

nearfantastica

If he's a fan of Opium, I highly suggest that Boucheron's Jaipur EDP.. be the next step... another spicy vanillic oriental.. different enough to merit a try, but maintains enough of the Opium character to warrant a comparison...

try it out, and let me know.

a.

Blog Entries

Lagerfeld KL - this is the love child of YSL Opium & Dana Tabu. There is a male & female version. My hubby want's a bottle of the female stuff for himself!
    Jaipur for Men
    Tiffany for Men
    Dana Tabu
    Raphael Replique

Part of the beauty of Opium is the distinct oriental florals that smooth and enhance the spice - I don't think you will find a suitable alternative without those 'feminine' florals.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I love KL Homme, and it has some of the depth I get from Opium, but it's missing the sharp, warming cinnamon-pepper-carnation accord that Opium is all about for me. Jaïpur is a lot subtler, sort of on the dry side of vanilla and spice. Both are worth a try depending on what in Opium appeals to him.

... depending on what in Opium appeals to him.
    What he says he likes about Opium is that it is soft, or more literally, he says that Opium "...doesn't hurt his nose." Scents that do hurt his nose are... everything else. He is really difficult, but he doesn't dislike perfume. He's always been delighted that I smell good, he's just very picky and sensitive. I think I will try to tell him that Opium is actually a unisex fragrance (which it is, no?), and see if I can get him to try it, at least. If he doesn't like it on him, maybe he'll be clearer on what it is that he doesn't like.
    I know it seems like I'm going to a lot of trouble to make my man wear frags, but the impetus is from him, in fact. He knows I love them and wants to share in my interest, a little.
    I really appreciate the input you've all been giving me. Keep up it, please! I'm on a quest...

Try some of the different Opium Pour Homme versions. There are a few out there, including a new one whose name escapes me right now, but it has the word Orient in it somewhere.

Opium is actually a unisex fragrance (which it is, no?)
    No. Although it (Opium EdT) is touted by some here on BN as being wearable by a man. There is and EdT and EdP for women and one of each for men. I have yet to try the EdP for men but there is so much talk about Opium lately I am going nuts wanting to know what the hell it smells like. I find the women's EdT to be very beautiful and "girly" as your BF says - nothing masculine about it IMHO. I can't remember if i've sniffed the EdP before.

I agree that JHL is very similar to (but a simpler version of) women's Opium. I now own both and am happy to wear both.

The men's Opium isn't really similar to the women's version.

I found a bottle of JHL at the local Bloomingdales. It greatly resembles Opium.
    How about Antaeus? This is a marvelous full bodied fragrance that to my nose has a feminine aspect but is decidedly male. I have tried to wear it, so I know. Too manly. But I have a bottle that I like to sniff.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I tricked him into wearing Opium last night. He liked it. I asked him if he found it 'manly' because it was a unisex scent, and he said 'yeah, but not too macho'. When he asked me what it was, I just said Yves Saint Laurent. It smelled very nice on him. His chemistry handles the spices beautifully, and the "thick" smell that turns me off of Opium in not so present on him.

Antaeus isn't really an Oriental, but it is an uber-masculine scent that's soft and bold. You might consider Obsession as an agreeable oriental versus Opium.

I tricked him into wearing Opium last night. He liked it. I asked him if he found it 'manly' because it was a unisex scent, and he said 'yeah, but not too macho'. When he asked me what it was, I just said Yves Saint Laurent.
    If you want a durable "white lie," you could decant it into a container labeled however you like and say you're getting it from a Basenotes member.

Sooner or later he'll probably discover the truth, though. You might as well tell him yourself. It could be a good object lesson on the artificiality of gender-oriented marketing or social gender norms generally---if you think he might be open to these ideas.

Question Re: Male scent that smells like Opium

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    JHL is not discontinued. It is in limited production.
    How do you know it's still in production? The Basenotes directory and at least one other site show it as discontinued.

Must de Cartier pour Homme is a richly scented oriental for men, and quite nice.

How do you know it's still in production? The Basenotes directory and at least one other site show it as discontinued.
    I emailed Estee Lauder (parent co. of Aramis) when I noticed the BN directory said it was discontinued. See the response here: http://community.basenotes.net/showt...php?t=173472#4

Yes, Nordstroms carries it as does Dillard's. I see it there all the time.