Code of Conduct

Default Need help with a note I can't identify....

I have twice this week been struck with a HORRIFYING odor, out of two old favorite scents. I cannot put my finger on it!! All I know is I want to make sure I don't purchase anything with this in it again.

Shalimar and Dior Addict. I thought I would try them during the cold days this past week. I thought I would die of suffocation. Never has this note been present on me before and it makes me sad they turned on me

It's a harsh, putrid, powdery, stale scent. I'm thinking sandalwood or vanilla maybe? Yikes it's bad though.

Default Re: Need help with a note I can't identify....

It's probably the vanilla. In both cases, it can seem musty. Depends on how you look at it. I find that sometimes Addict seems "stale" to me, in the sense of old-fashioned and "decaying." I'm not explaining this well. It's a personal recollection of how the cheap, damp apartments of relatives smelled, of an unpleasant musk and powdery vanilla. I definitely get this association from Addict (and I do wear it here and there) and can see how it might be applicable to Shalimar as well.

You think it could really be vanilla? Geez, that's in almost everything it seems. I am also wondering about the tonka bean....but that's not in Shalimar, is it?

And yes, you explained that smell better than I did....cheap, damp, musty certainly fits. I guess I need to look at my wardrobe and determine which ones have a vanilla in them. It may be just the way it presents itself in certain perfumes, I hope. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to go on a major tossing/shopping spree.

It might be vanilla that's your culprit there, but I would hardly rush to throw anything out. Vanilla can be overwhelming at times and in certain compositions, but I have had a situation with a few fragrances where they turned on me, only to go 360° and back to their gorgeous wonderful selves. You never know how it might turn out in the future.

Have you considered that your chemistry has changed for any reason? I know that when my gallbladder was badly inflamed, some of my favorite fragrances just would not cooperate. Now gallbladder–free for over a year and healthy once again, I don’t have the same problem with those favorites that I had to stay away from. So perhaps this could just be a temporary chemistry misalignment. Also, I’ve noticed that my fragrances tend to smell different now as a result of my diet change. Any of these factors could be playing trick on you too…
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Hmmm, could it be the bergamot?
    ~*Christy*~

Thanks for all the help here! I surely won't get rid of these fragrances, one day they may well be good on me again. I hope.

I'm feeling sure my chemistry has changed....I'm thinking premenopausal here (had a hysterectomy this past year)....so maybe my chemistry will even out soon.

Bergamot eh? Now that's a real possibility too. I'll have to search to see if my other frags have that note. hmmm

This is a most frustrating habit, is it not? Not to mention expensive!!

Cannot really do Addict either! Love it so much on other people, wanted to love it on myself, but every time I was trying to put some on it was a sheer torture! I do believe it is a combination of notes, not just vanilla overkill.

Well, Shalimar is a a different story: I tried various formulations including vintage, and find them liking my skin. Mr.Twolf does not. So, it is a keeper, a well-kept secret that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess_Dreams
    .... but I would hardly rush to throw anything out. Vanilla can be overwhelming at times and in certain compositions, but I have had a situation with a few fragrances where they turned on me, only to go 360° and back to their gorgeous wonderful selves. You never know how it might turn out in the future.

Have you considered that your chemistry has changed for any reason?... So perhaps this could just be a temporary chemistry misalignment. Also, I’ve noticed that my fragrances tend to smell different now as a result of my diet change. Any of these factors could be playing trick on you too…
    I would second The Goddess on this - having gone through similar situations over fifty some years of frag-addiction. Hang in there, girl!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

A hysterectomy with all the accompanying hormonal changes can actually change your sense of smell considerably, as well as your body chemistry. It may take a little while longer to shift into your "new state" which will be just fine, but different. At which point you may find your taste in perfumes, and maybe foods, has changed considerably. Just go with it and you may end up with a new wardrobe in a while, and many new discoveries. All the best to you!