Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford's Black Orchid

I was in Neimans today and i noticed that they were selling this in the mens section. I guess its not selling well on the womens counter. It is very masculine smelling i think. Also, they had the new paul smith story. I have read comments here that it is a very light, almost imperceptible fragrance. I didnt get that at all. Very fruity and floral. Kind of reminded me of Promesse by Cacharel. And it didnt have that "cologney vibe" a lot of mens colognes do. I didnt buy a bottle but i will.....very soon.
    Awesomeguy

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Tom Ford's Black Orchid

I think it is rather unisex. I guess that outside of the "fragrance knowledgeable" few are familiar with his name and accomplishments. This would account for slow sales if that is accurate.

Neiman's SR are pretty clueless. They have Creed's AA only in the women's section.

The men's SR tried pushing Houbigant's Quelques Fleurs Royale on me (probably one the highest commission-rated frags that they sell).
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

For all my raving about this scent I don't think it's highly, often wearable by either sex.

As a perfume emanating from stigmatic discharges, and for frag freaks (i.e. basenoters), certainly. let the pilgrims approach and drink deeply with nostrils flaring. in my (limited) experience the only other 2 fragrances that are in the same class in terms of delivering a "hit" on the order the punch BO packs are Silver Mountain Water and Marescialla. To wear it on your own hand to enjoy private moments, definitely it's top of the line for that.

As far as going out with a "full application" in public and mingling... I'm not so sure about Black Orchid. I haven't yet worn it in public. I will, but haven't yet.

Not that I'm trying to advertise but... a sample/decant of this is essential I think just for the experience, a bottle might be a lot more than you would ever use.

To repeat a disclaimer I 've disclaimed before: I personally have never smelled anything like it, so forceful on account of its richness, rather than by means of any sharp 'bracing' notes, as is the case with SMN and Marecialla.
    Last edited by supermarky; 15th December 2006 at 10:55 AM.

Interesting perspective supermarky.

On me, Black Orchid is not the loud, bracing thing you describe here. It's opening moments are definitely dramatic, but it settles down rather quickly on me. Reviews around the net are rather in agreement that Black Orchid makes a loud entrance, then becomes, if not quite a wall flower, at least a more civilized party guest.

It settles in pretty close to my skin, sillage is moderate at best, and that's only in the first hour or two. I find the scent quite interesting and I'm waiting to test it again when the mood hits. I agree that it's totally unisex. Maybe department stores will get it one day and instead of organizing frags in men/women, they will start organizing them alphabetically, or creating a section for "shared."
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3
    I was in Neimans today and i noticed that they were selling this in the mens section.
    I think they should just have one big fragrance section and let people decide for themselves whether it suits them or not...I've missed out on sampling so many wonderful scents because they were marketed towards women exclusively. I have no shame anymore...I go to both sections, even if the ladies think I'm buying a "gift".:bounce:

oh not to be a stickler but I said black orchid was not "bracing"

I have sort of criticized the drydown as being a bit leaving a feeling of having spilled "heavy syrup" from some exotic fruit cocktail on my skin... but for quite a long while it's good for the "rush" of sniffing it for its intensity of effect

well. . . I really need to try really wearing it to see how it goes/is received/feels!

since i've been wearing Black Orchid all day, I have found some other things.

It has struck an olfactory memory for me: pink lady slippers, a wild orchid that grows in the forest near pines and oaks. AND, those pink lady slippers are slightly decomposed in Black Orchid. It smells feral, but just barely.

Like the orchid that sends out shoots, Black Orchid makes a splashy entrance, then quiets down. Several hours later, a shoot! Then quiet...another hour passes by. Hey! Another shoot...it keeps sending out tendrils of scent, which is a welcome pleasure as I was unsure about its longevity.

A crowded elevator and worried people may wonder if there's something slightly rotten, yet sweet, stuck to someone's shoe.

This has been my day in Black Orchid.

ps: supermarky, woops! RIF.
    Last edited by mochi227; 15th December 2006 at 08:18 PM.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

the 'decomposition' notes are a big part of black orchid's strange charm

Basenotes Institution

Let me chime in - in my 2 times wearing this (I'm wearing it right now, as I type this) I find many similarities to both the 'gourmand' and the 'decomposition' notes mentioned by supermarky and mochi...

The very 1st time I wore Black Orchid about 14 hours after application (in bed asleep, actually) the scent overpowered me with the smell of mustiness, perhaps unwashed animal skin, with a slight tang

In addition, the opening notes remind me of a raisin/coffee cake broken apart about 30 minutes after baking and the pastry notes inhaled...all warm, spicy and quite strong.

Incidentally, I detected almost NO ylang ylang on me, making this an alltogether un-floral scent for me (what orchids...orchids?)

Interested to see how Black Orchid's complexities are repeated (if they are) in the new 12 Tom Fordies that came out last week.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 16th April 2007 at 02:55 AM.

When I was at Neiman Marcus the other day getting Virgin Island Water, there was a rep there for Black Orchid. I sniffed it and it was interesting alright. The rep was really pushing me to buy it (but in a nice and flirty way). She sprayed some on a card that I took home with me. I let the card sit on my desk.

OK, I didn't get any "crotch" notes--too bad because I was looking for them. It was a nice fragrance, but in my mind a heavy retooling of YSL's Nu (also done under Tom Ford). Black Orchid is not something I would wear, though I would like to date a woman that wore it.

And that card that sat on my desk, wafting up the Black Orchid and conjuring all sorts of visuals of sexy smoldering "cougars" (like the cougar-ish SA)... well, you get the idea...

Last edited by Indie_Guy; 16th April 2007 at 03:28 AM. Reason: typo

Basenotes Institution

Indieguy - you gotta try Black Orchid on your SKIN to really get the full effect.

The same thing happened to me, when I first sniffed it. I had them spray it on a card and I put the card in my car console. It scented my car for about 2 weeks (no lie). However, that smell is NOT the smell of Black Orchid on me. That mysterious 'dank' smell I mentioned earlier I only got from skin application.

Try it - you might 'get' it as a mans scent (much like Jicky).

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Indieguy - you gotta try Black Orchid on your SKIN to really get the full effect.

The same thing happened to me, when I first sniffed it. I had them spray it on a card and I put the card in my car console. It scented my car for about 2 weeks (no lie). However, that smell is NOT the smell of Black Orchid on me. That mysterious 'dank' smell I mentioned earlier I only got from skin application.

Try it - you might 'get' it as a mans scent (much like Jicky).
    It WAS a pretty intriguing scent, and my interest in it was sparked (but I was also diverting some of my attention to sampling Eau des Merveilles for the first time--which was great).

What kind of annoyed me was the fact that I was there dropping $230 on a fragrance--and while they threw in a few samples of some different random Hermes and Armani frags-- they didn't offer to give me any wearable samples of Black Orchid or Eau des Merveilles. No. They wanted me to be so impulsive as to just buy them all on the spot as well. I don't think they understand how samples work. (And when I got ripped off on my Mechant Loup, I didn't even get any freebees or samples, let alone a damn receipt).

I will keep on the lookout for samples. It looks like a lot went into making Black Orchid--whether it's something I could wear or not, it's interesting.

I bought Black Orchid a couple of weeks ago, and I've found it very difficult to stop wearing it - it's hypnotic and languorous. I love the feeling of fruit and flesh balanced on the edge of turning. It's exceptionally unusual for me to wear something day after day after day...but I've found I'm doing it with Black Orchid, and I can't stop sniffing myself. After its disco-slut opening, it quiets down and stays close to the skin. It's very wearable in public.

I would be intrigued and fascinated by a guy who had the chutzpah to wear this.