Code of Conduct

Default Stuck between Feuilles de Tabac, Vintage Tabarome, and Michael

I'm looking for a good tobacco fragrance. I live in the middle of nowhere so I'm going for a blind buy based on information and reviews. I've narrowed my choices down to Michael for men by Michael Kors, Vintage Tabarome by Creed, and Feuilles de Tabac by Miller harris. If anyone can describe the differences and strong/weak points of each of these frags, as well as what your personal decision would be, I would really appreciate it!

Also, when buying Tabarome off the internet, how do you tell the vintage from the new? I usually don't notice a difference in labeling, and often websites (or eBay sellers) don't even seem to recognize them as different fragrances...

No need to mention Havana, by the way -- it's coming in a week or two

Default Re: Stuck between Feuilles de Tabac, Vintage Tabarome, and Michael

I guess Vintage Tabarome is out because its only available in the large 8.4 Oz. flacons which are quite expensive - ofcourse it also depends on your budget...
    -

Yea I was just beginning to ask that... Thanks for pointing that out. Well, since old Tabarome is out, I guess I'm curious about what everyone thinks about new Tabarome?

Hi mrhorn300, and welcome to Basenotes!

I can't answer your question for I haven't sampled either Vintage Tabarome by Creed or Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris.

What I can do is tell you from my experience that the following fragrances, including Michael, are very good choices for male fragrances containing the tobacco note:

Versace Dreamer
    Romeo Gigli
    D&G Ph
    Cristobal

FdT is my all-time number 1 tobacco scent, for what its worth. You should definately buy it through basenoter Maisonstinky, who runs a shop down in florida. send him a PM, he'll take excellent care of you.

Smitsky, what are your opinions on Michael, and how would you describe it?

Joel, I sent him a PM.

Thanks for the help guys!

I haven't smelled Michael lately, so I cannot give you an first-hand, in-depth description. I know that John Varvatos is quite similar, and *that* stuff is real smooth (I have some now). My opinion is that it's fantastic (Michael). I'll be gettin' a bottle real soon. To me it's vastly under rated.

The one Joel is telling you about sounds awesome!

I think the thing that is distinctive about Michael Kors is that it is very definitely a pipe tobacco fragrance, rather than cigar or generic tobacco. Having smoked a pipe for many years I know that scent VERY well, and like it a lot. (You get it without the horrid nicotine and tar smell/taste that pipe smoking also gives you.)

HTH

Eluard

Quote Originally Posted by mrhorn300
    Joel, I sent him a PM.
    good move, you won't be sorry.

Michael's good too, but I find it overly busy. There's a kind of baroque feel to it, lotsa curlicues and flouishes, I think Miller Harris is more smooth and solidly elegant, less "overdone"

Personally, I think New Tabarome is absolutely excellent. It has some ginger at the front end which some people don't like but I love, it blends to make a warm accord with the excellent unsmoked tobacco note. It has crisp notes offsetting this; bergamot and green tea and a lovely woody/tobacco base with patchouli and vetiver in a great balance. I find all the notes in this are distinct and well blended.

I didn't like the miller harris feuille de tabac at all, I found it a kind of warm mess, I was very disappointed as I loved Citron Citron and was looking for something of similar quality. I found the notes indistinct and the accord loud and unrefined and lacking the masculine punch which I expect from a tobacco scent. Also quite a linear scent in my experience.
    Cheers, let us known what you get and whether you like it.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I second Phil's choice of Miller Harris. Montana Parfum D'Homme and i Profumi di Firenze Tabacco are also excellent choices.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    Personally, I think New Tabarome is absolutely excellent. It has some ginger at the front end which some people don't like but I love, it blends to make a warm accord with the excellent unsmoked tobacco note. It has crisp notes offsetting this; bergamot and green tea and a lovely woody/tobacco base with patchouli and vetiver in a great balance. I find all the notes in this are distinct and well blended.

I'm also a big fan of New Tabarome, but try before you buy and the longevity isn't great. Michael is must buy. Busy yes, but after wearing it for a while you really get to appreciate the accords in it.

I've had fragrances that seemed busy to me at first, and I also learned to appreciate them. So I'm willing to take a chance there. But if it smells busy to others who aren't around me enough to appreciate it, would it be offensive? I hear this a lot about Michael. So I guess, is an "offensive" type of busy? I do wear frags for my own enjoyment, but not at the expense of putting others off!

Haha, sorry for the strange questions Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    FdT is my all-time number 1 tobacco scent, for what its worth. You should definately buy it through basenoter Maisonstinky, who runs a shop down in florida. send him a PM, he'll take excellent care of you.

I second the recommendation of Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac, and also highly recommend dealing with maisonstinky... You won't regret either choice, believe me!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

i'd like to add that michael kors is MUCH cheaper than the other two...