Code of Conduct

Default Givenchy Gentleman...and frags that remind you of a place

My SOTD today was Givenchy Gentleman.

I bought this two years ago as a possible wedding fragrance. It ended up losing out to Dunhill For Men 1934, but I promised it I would take it on the honeymoon to make up for it. So while I wore something light in Thailand, I reserved GG for our time in France, and to this day, everytime I smell it I think of Paris.

(Brief diversion follows...)

Unfortunately, I am somewhat "scared" of GG - it just strikes me as so powerful and outlandish, certainly not like the crowd pleasers of today. Such a big dose of patchouli - is it old manish, smelly, or just plain weird? Today I thoroughly enjoyed it, didn't feel smelly at all, and vowed to wear it more often.

Back to the topic...

GG reminds me of Paris. Not just because I wore it there, but also because it "feels" like Paris - quirky, confident, classic but avant garde, etc.

Chanel PMC also feels very "French" to me.

On the other hand, Bvlgari PH reminds me of Ireland, not because of its feel, but because I wore it there.

So, what frag reminds you of what place, and it is because of its "feel", a personal memory, or both?

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Default Re: Givenchy Gentleman...and frags that remind you of a place

I'm wearing GG today as well!

I was the first proper scent I had. My big sister bought it for me for my 16th birthday (I'm 38 now). It reminds me of that exciting time, of exploring the pleasures of the adult world for the first time.

As for the powerful outlandish nature of GG? well it was 1984 when I first wore it. All the heavy metal heads at school took a bath in patchouli oil every morning. Me and my mates went out looking like Adam Sandler in the Wedding Singer. Believe me, GG was not loud for the time! Still love it.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Cool Water when I was 17, in that hotel room, and....virginity stolen....sad
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Terre D'Hermes reminds me vividly of Austria and the Bavarian Alps where I bought it and wore it for the first time. Interestingly, Opus 1870 does not have the same effect though I also bought and wore it then, so I think the association of fragrance with place needs to incorporate both the place and the nature of the scent itself.

There's a bottle of GG at my local Ross just taunting me to buy it, but I've never smelled it and I don't have the money right now... arg...