Code of Conduct

Red face looking for opinions on wet/dry shavers

I started a thread in the Men's Grooming subforum and was hoping to get some feedback from you well-informed gents here.

Here is the link to my thread http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190386

I am looking for info on wet/dry shavers, linear vs. non-linear motors, etc.

Please check out my thread if you have some info on electric razors you would like to share.

Thank you in advance...
    -mochi
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Default Re: looking for opinions on wet/dry shavers

Given that we are an uncouth cadre of unshorn brutes, I suggets you try soliciting advice from the spit & polish gents over at Badger & Blade, a forum not like our own, but with well-groomed members (bet they don't smell nearly as good as us though )

Joel,

You know good and well they'll tell him to ditch the wet/dry shaver and get a Merkur double-edge razor and Derby blades (not that those are bad suggestions, they work well for me). Then you start looking for shave cream or soaps, nice badger brushes, and then ... well, there goes some of that money you were saving to complete your Creed collection. It's a slippery slope.

Grooming and shaving causes far too much irritation when applying fragrances. Who likes that icky burning sensation? So, I agree with you Joel... we are a good smelling, grizzly bunch.

j/k... I don't know much about good shavers and the like. My family aren't a hairy bunch, so about thirty seconds with the ole electric once every two days or so does me fine. Then, some Shiseido Men's 3-step facial treatment and a hearty round of frag spritzing and I'm good to go.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Talking Re: looking for opinions on wet/dry shavers

Quote Originally Posted by BBRex
    Joel,

You know good and well they'll tell him to ditch the wet/dry shaver and get a Merkur double-edge razor and Derby blades (not that those are bad suggestions, they work well for me). Then you start looking for shave cream or soaps, nice badger brushes, and then ... well, there goes some of that money you were saving to complete your Creed collection. It's a slippery slope.
    Haha! This already happened! Actually, I'm a woman looking for info on men's shaving products and rituals for my BF. So I took Joel's advice and checked out B&B and I think within 5 posts or so they were suggesting I might like a DE for my leg shaving

I had to ask what a DE is (double-edge)....good (and funny) call BBRex. But how can you not love a passionate bunch, whether its frags or shaving? Good discourse all around but I am looking for info on something hopelessly more mundane than what they're talking about over there.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.

=

current favorites:
    =

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    Given that we are an uncouth cadre of unshorn brutes, I suggets you try soliciting advice from the spit & polish gents over at Badger & Blade, a forum not like our own, but with well-groomed members (bet they don't smell nearly as good as us though )
    I visited that forum a few weeks ago, and since then have invested in Trumpers and Nancy boy creams, a badger brush and a Merkur HD blade. There definitely has been a marked improvement in the quality of my shaves and I am hooked!

Trumpers Violet and Almond smell fantastic !
    -

Talking Re: looking for opinions on wet/dry shavers

Haha! This already happened! Actually, I'm a woman looking for info on men's shaving products and rituals for my BF. So I took Joel's advice and checked out B&B and I think within 5 posts or so they were suggesting I might like a DE for my leg shaving

I had to ask what a DE is (double-edge)....good (and funny) call BBRex. But how can you not love a passionate bunch, whether its frags or shaving? Good discourse all around but I am looking for info on something hopelessly more mundane than what they're talking about over there.
    You go there often enough, they'll get you hooked. I actually found out about about this site from someone over there. Great folks both places, for sure.

The only electric that ever worked at all for me were the type with the three rotating heads. I seemed to get too much irritation from the other type. I have to admit to being compulsive about shaving close, so even a little bit of roughness after I shave makes me unhappy. Using the old mug and brush method, I can get really close, but I take 30+ minutes to shave. I only shave every other day to give my skin a rest. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo

I beg to differ!

What better way to finish off a fine BBS (Baby-Butt Smooth) shave than with an application of a fine aromatic concoction?

In fact, most of the BadgerAndBlade.com members find out about Basenotes.com once their desire for olfactory experiences exceeds the bounds of traditional men's wet shaving suppliers like Trumper's, Truefit & Hill and Taylor of Old Bond Street.

Smooth shaves, fine colognes and fashionable dressing are all a part of the recent resurgence of men's grooming interests.

-joedy

ps. Come on over and find out what a Slant Bar double-edge safety razor is!

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    I visited that forum a few weeks ago, and since then have invested in Trumpers and Nancy boy creams, a badger brush and a Merkur HD blade. There definitely has been a marked improvement in the quality of my shaves and I am hooked!

Trumpers Violet and Almond smell fantastic !
    Trumper's Coconut Oil shaving cream (which ironically smells more like coconut wood and not the sweetened coconut pulp) is one of the most unique shaving experiences that you will encounter.

And ironically as well, the Trumper's Rose shaving cream is a very masculine, traditional English scent that not only offers a great shave, but also offers the positive effects and healing qualities of rose essential oil.

Give the Slant Bar DE a try. If you're impressed with the Merkur HD, the Slant will impress you even more.

-joedy

I converted my shaving routine to a Merkur DE, Merkur blades, and usually Proraso shave soap (the hard kind). The first 24 hours after a shave, my face is as smooth as vinyl. After the second 24 hours, I have about as much stubble as someone with a bad 5-o'clock shadow. When I would shave with an electric, i would have noticeable stubble the morning after I shaved.

DE shaving does take a little longer than the usual Gilette/electric shave, but I've pared my routine down to about 10 minutes, max. After the first month of getting used to the DE procedure, I no longer experience any redness, cuts, or irritation. I shave, rinse, apply Nivea unscented gel, and I look the same as I did before I shaved (minus the hair, of course). In contrast, a Mach 3 or an electric razor would leave my face red and raw. It was very unattractive.

This is coming from someone who lives the spit-and-polish military life: DE shaving is the way to go for a clean shave. The only drawback is that I cannot shave more than once every 48 hours. It seems that if the hairs are not long enough, the razor tends to drag them or tear them (and the surrounding skin), which is very unpleasant. The resultant rash is more noticeable than the stubble that would have been there had I simply not shaved.

Good luck in your endeavor
    -ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Joedy
    Trumper's Coconut Oil shaving cream (which ironically smells more like coconut wood and not the sweetened coconut pulp) is one of the most unique shaving experiences that you will encounter.

And ironically as well, the Trumper's Rose shaving cream is a very masculine, traditional English scent that not only offers a great shave, but also offers the positive effects and healing qualities of rose essential oil.

Give the Slant Bar DE a try. If you're impressed with the Merkur HD, the Slant will impress you even more.

-joedy
    I tried a sample of Trumpers Coconut - wow, really smells exquisite, even more so than Violet ! I gave Sandalwood a try today, and it smells sweet - sort of like the cologne really (I am not a big fan of it), but it lathers good.

I am also loving the minty classic Proraso - lathers well, but I feel its not as moisturising as the Trumper creams.

Next on my list to try are:

Musgo Real
    Taylor's Avocado
    Taylor's Rose
    Truefitt & Hill West Indian Lime
    Salter's Citrus
    -

Love my Merkur DE. I'll try a slant blade one of these days.

Sorry mochi227, your thread has been hijacked.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    Love my Merkur DE. I'll try a slant blade one of these days.

Sorry mochi227, your thread has been hijacked.
    No problem! Thanks for the replies. Actually, I'm rethinking the Panasonic wet/dry shaver for the BF. Now I'm thinking I might just get him a gift certificate for a shave at The Art of Shaving (which conveniently enough is located here in NYC, he could go after work or on the weekend). I think that might be a more impressive gift/experience. He will be treated very well, be ministered to, and it might get him interested in DE shaving. It would be too big a leap to just get him a DE or anything wet shaving related as now he uses hair clippers on lowest setting to trim his whiskers. This leaves him with a pretty smooth shave, but not BBS.

I have already bought him several frags (and some minis for stocking stuffers), some clothes, socks and underwear (stocking stufers) so may do the Art of Shaving as just another stocking stuffer. What do you guys think? Would you like to receive a gift certificate for a luxurious, albeit new/untried/potentially scary, wetshave experience?

=

current favorites:
    =

is it one of those old fashioned shaves where the barber uses a huge blade to do it?

cuz if thats so, that'd be SO COOL.

I guess it would sound funny coming from a guy who spent around $3000 on cologne this year to hear that I can't afford the super high-end shaving products, so I guess I'll compromise at "not yet having decided that the added price is justified".

I'd like to bring up a point or two. I found some shaving sites like that, and consequently researched some of the products mentioned. Some of them are incredibly well-made, classy, and beautiful, but seem to have designs that don't use the things we've learned through the insane amount of research done by the major companies (gillette, schick, etc.) such as the angle and pressure at which you use the shaving device. I recently saw a documentry that detailed this on the learning (?) channel called "A Close Shave". (really interesting!)

I plan on getting a set/stand that includes a badger bristle brush and a nice mug, but besides that, I prefer to trust the vast amount of engineering that goes into the high-end consumer-level razors. Cream I am willing to experiment with, but I love and use:

Zirh Shave Gel or Nivea Sensitive gel (when I'm out of Zirh)
    Zirh Pre-Shave Oil (I HIGHLY reccommend trying this!)
    Shick Quattro TITANIUM - the blades are incredibly expensive, but provide the closest shave I've ever attained.
    Nivea Sensitive Balm (aftershave lotion) and I'll probably never switch
    and as a lotion, any one/combination of: Nivea Protective, Zirh Correct, and Zirh Rejuvenate

Just yesterday, I treated myself to a Norelco SmartTouch XL (the blue, silver, and orange one with the tilting, flexing 3-head face. It was $150, and I don't really have any basis for comparison, but I can tell that the quality is very good and the engineering is incredibly considerate. I used it today for the first time, as I plan to alternate wet shaving and dry shaving to save face, or just touch-up in between wet shaves. My face felt what I can only describe as not-quite irritated, but it knew something was going on that hadn't before! The "not-quite irritation" lasted maybe a half-hour, but is fine now. At 9:00 pm, I have a slight "five o'clock" shadow - that's not too bad.

I've seen three-hundred dollar shaving brushes online, and unless I make it (REAL) big, I'll probably leave those for people who have more money than they know what to do with. Then again, who needs $3000 worth of cologne?
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Another couple of good shaving sites are ShaveMyFace.com...to me a little bit more mature than the guys over at Badger and Blade, and StraightRazorPlace.com if you are ever interested in trying your hand with a cut throat razor.

Good guys (and a few gals) one and all on these sites.!

Electric razors never really worked for me, although a rechargeable Braun was my go to for years. More than 2 days worth of stubble though and it was nearly useless.
    Last year I was ready to change my shave routine and tried the brush, soap and razor (Merkur HD) approach, what a difference.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt View Post
    ...The only drawback is that I cannot shave more than once every 48 hours. It seems that if the hairs are not long enough, the razor tends to drag them or tear them (and the surrounding skin), which is very unpleasant. The resultant rash is more noticeable than the stubble that would have been there had I simply not shaved.

Good luck in your endeavor
    -ben
    Sounds like you should try a different blade in your DE. I use Feather Blades and they are amazing. They last about a week and are the sharpest blade available. Any drag you are experiencing may be due to technique. On me, Feathers cut through anything with ease. You may also want to consider trying a different cream or even a soap.

I use a Panasonic Pro Curve wet/dry in the shower every morning, also using King of Shaves Kinexium shaving oil. I cannot imagine getting a closer shave.

I never liked a blade.......