Code of Conduct

Talking You crazy layering fiends!

You wild and crazy layering ladies have had your way with me...
    I am now, at this moment, layering Lolita Lempicka with splashes, mind you, splashes of Bulgari Black! I feel so FREEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!
    Dark and smudgy, but sweet and snuggly at the same time

After a day of layering Arabie with mere dabs of Narcisse Noir, interestingly, the Arabie drydown won out as the day progressed, but that beginning with the NN...that was WILD! WHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!
    High pitched spice with flowers strewn beneath one's feet on cobblestones, releasing their notes as one steps over them, offering their perfume for your pleasure.... ahhh....

I see new worlds opening!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: You crazy layering fiends!

"Hey, Moondeva, we've got company--another free soul!"

Ah, rtamara41, isn't scentschizophrenia amazing? I can imagine Bulgari Black would dovetail into others scents, yes. Some of my "hybrids" have a couple notes in common, but sometimes two frags simply extend an arc of scent with hardly any note(s) overlap. You just never know until you put different frags on different wrists and orbit your fists around each other like a cheerleader or boxer.

Many welcoming hugs to you, sweet stuff.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry

Ah, rtamara41, isn't scentschizophrenia amazing? I can imagine Bulgari Black would dovetail into others scents, yes. Some of my "hybrids" have a couple notes in common, but sometimes two frags simply extend an arc of scent with hardly any note(s) overlap. You just never know until you put different frags on different wrists and orbit your fists around each other like a cheerleader or boxer.

Many welcoming hugs to you, sweet stuff.
    Thank you for clueing me in on this specialized technique for checking layering potential... I feel that I have been initiated somehow .
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I have Flowerbomb and CB I HATE MUSK sort of overlapping here this evening. Surprisingly (big surprise), Flowerscud has whomped that CB Musk right in the horse's tail, and the two are not incongruent in the drydowns.

Cool Re: You crazy layering fiends!

I have now named my new layering experiment, Lolita Noir... Lolita Lempicka and Bulgari Black... She is a total swoon at work, and everyone is loving her...
    Long Live Lolita Noir!!! I am wearing this combo again tonight. The real test was when two of my coworkers who humour me by sniffing my sotd religiously agreed on this one. They usually have tastes at different ends of the spectrum. Lolita Noir is a real pleaser.

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41
    I have now named my new layering experiment, Lolita Noir... Lolita Lempicka and Bulgari Black... She is a total swoon at work, and everyone is loving her...
    Cool! I'm a big layering fan -- helps extend my dinky (so far) collection Keep 'em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by coumarin
    Cool! I'm a big layering fan -- helps extend my dinky (so far) collection Keep 'em coming!
    coumarin, I looked at your wardrobe to see if I had any inspirations , I haven't tested many of the ones you have, but I did have a good run with Chanel no.19's green crispy elegance when I layered it with Hanae Mori Butterfly, which is a sweet vanilla gourmandy smell, like buttered raisin toast.
    They seemed to anchor one another, whereas my Lolita and Black mix seem to sing along the same accord together, one a bit lighter and softer, the other deeper with more longevity.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I have now named my new layering experiment, Lolita Noir
    You mean the name Lempgari wasn't lyrical enough?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

You mean the name Lempgari wasn't lyrical enough?
    hee hee hee, Lolita Lempgari Noir, mais oui!!!

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by Quarry
    Yay! Welcome to the dark side rtamara41 - your view of perfumes will never be the same again!

I am luxuriating in another winning combination right now as I type: Guerlain Vetiver + Dior Homme.
    This is wonderful - bright, complex iris and vetiver, fresh with a subtle darkness (tobacco, leather) that stops the blend from being too clean, soapy, or powdery. This combo will be great in warmer spring and summer weather - especially if I use Guerlain Vetiver Eau Glacee on warmer days.

By the way your combo of Lolita Noir (Bulgari Black + Lolita Lempicka) is positively 'inspired'! I will have to try it soon. How about Bulgari Black + Caron Aimez-Moi as an alternative combo? I think you will be pleasantly surprised...
    Last edited by moondeva; 13th December 2006 at 11:31 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

moondeva, I am honored that you like my little "experiment..." mwhhhaaa haaa haaaaa haaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!(that is supposed to be evil laughter)

I am going to try your l'heure blue and nuit de noel combo. neither one alone has yet to grab me. perhaps together...we shall see.

Blog Entries

I really enjoyed my Dior Homme + Guerlain Vetiver combo yesterday a keeper for sure!

I have just realised that two of my oldest favourites (Carven Ma Griffe and Lanvin Arpege) have significant vetiver accords. This has me excited to try them in combos with other vetiver and iris rich blends. What do you think of the following:

Carven Ma Griffe + Guerlain Vetiver
    Carven Ma Griffe + Chanel No.19
    Carven Ma Griffe + Hermes Hiris
    Carven Ma Griffe + Dior Homme

Carven Ma Griffe + Lanvin Arpege

Guerlain Vetiver + Lanvin Arpege
    Dior Homme + Lanvin Arpege
    Hermes Hiris + Lanvin Arpege
    Chanel No.19 + Lanvin Arpege

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

hee hee hee, Lolita Lempgari Noir, mais oui!!!
    so, rtamara41, this thread was a few days ago, and i've been thinking and thinking and thinking about trying your smudgy experiment...and finally i did! faeries in the tire yard! mechanics in fairyland! but really, it's grease....the pink ladies meet the t-birds. tough and pretty and cool. nice job!
    Seeking: woods patchouli fresh tuberose

Talking Re: You crazy layering fiends!

Quote Originally Posted by quinpus
    so, rtamara41, this thread was a few days ago, and i've been thinking and thinking and thinking about trying your smudgy experiment...and finally i did! faeries in the tire yard! mechanics in fairyland! but really, it's grease....the pink ladies meet the t-birds. tough and pretty and cool. nice job!
    fairies in the tire yard and mechanics in fairyland! what great descriptions! lol!
    I never would have tried this if djuna hadn't sent me the decant of Bulgari Black with my Lolita swap. Inspired choice on her part.

Thumbs up Re: You crazy layering fiends!

Here are my latest experiments in layering:

Tabac Blond with Narciso Rodriguez for Her...these I did not layer on top of one another, rather used both in different locations , the Tabac on my wrists and forearms, with the softer NR for her on my belly and sternum... crushed rose petals with leather...mmmmm....

Today I am trying Patchouli Patch with Feminite du Bois spritzed directly on top...this is NICE, VERY NICE, I think I am smelling saffron, or something spicy, must be in the FduB

What a fabulous thread!

When I was at Barney's in Beverly Hills, the sweet and charming sales associate (I think her name was CJ?) mixed me a sample of her "creation"...Sa Majesté la Rose and Un Bois Vanille.

FABULOUS, rich, and sumptuous. God, I love it, and I usually hate rose and vanilla! Smelling Lutens' Rose is like burying your face in a huge, fresh bouquet of crisp white roses that someone you love has just handed to you. The vanille adds a sexy depth and warmth to it that is just delightful.

CJ, you're an angel to mix me such a delicious sample! One of my new favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by linnea
    What a fabulous thread!

When I was at Barney's in Beverly Hills, the sweet and charming sales associate (I think her name was CJ?) mixed me a sample of her "creation"...Sa Majesté la Rose and Un Bois Vanille.

FABULOUS, rich, and sumptuous. God, I love it, and I usually hate rose and vanilla! Smelling Lutens' Rose is like burying your face in a huge, fresh bouquet of crisp white roses that someone you love has just handed to you. The vanille adds a sexy depth and warmth to it that is just delightful.

CJ, you're an angel to mix me such a delicious sample! One of my new favorites.
    oh god, I think I should just get it over with and go through every one of Serge's creations methodically...why waste my time in other houses when he thrills me so... this description is very seductive, linnea.
    my day has become triple layered...patchouli patch + feminite du bois + serge lutens fleurs d'oranger...as each one faded I refreshed it with the next, like a winding path, with each scent following the next... there was a real or imagined saffron in that fem du bois and it led me right to the fleurs d'oranger.
    A scented life is a good life.

oh god, I think I should just get it over with and go through every one of Serge's creations methodically...why waste my time in other houses when he thrills me so... this description is very seductive, linnea.
    my day has become triple layered...patchouli patch + feminite du bois + serge lutens fleurs d'oranger...as each one faded I refreshed it with the next, like a winding path, with each scent following the next... there was a real or imagined saffron in that fem du bois and it led me right to the fleurs d'oranger.
    A scented life is a good life.
    Oh GOD... patchouli patch and feminite du bois and fleurs d'oranger? That sounds GORGEOUS... I must try it!

Like I said, I initially steered clear of the Rose and Vanille, thinking that I would hate them. And then that darn lovely woman mixed me a sample that I cannot stop thinking about! AUGH!

I just know that I'm going to end up with at least one bottle of every Serge Lutens creation. That's going to cost a lot of money. Well...I guess I could "rationalize" this new hobby/obsession and and theorise that at least it's not bad for me like other vices could be.

Quote Originally Posted by linnea
    Oh GOD... patchouli patch and feminite du bois and fleurs d'oranger? That sounds GORGEOUS... I must try it!

Like I said, I initially steered clear of the Rose and Vanille, thinking that I would hate them. And then that darn lovely woman mixed me a sample that I cannot stop thinking about! AUGH!

I just know that I'm going to end up with at least one bottle of every Serge Lutens creation. That's going to cost a lot of money. Well...I guess I could "rationalize" this new hobby/obsession and and theorise that at least it's not bad for me like other vices could be.
    yes, for me too, it is just a matter of time, I am afraid....
    the Vanille you mention, is that also a Serge Lutens? I didn't see it on the basenotes directory...

yes, for me too, it is just a matter of time, I am afraid....
    the Vanille you mention, is that also a Serge Lutens? I didn't see it on the basenotes directory...
    It's called "Un Bois Vanille" and it's here: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123012.html

Recipe for a good day-

Equal parts of:

Bulgari Black
    CdG Tar

Yum!

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Blog Entries

My favorite combo is Bvlgari Black + Samhain from the Goth Rosary. It's AWESOME. Smoky, creamy, & spicy.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Discovered a new layering combo that transports one to a woody church of flowers and incense and earth.

Feminite du Bois applied to the outer forearm and inner crook of elbow.
    Parfum Sacre applied to the inner wrist.
    ahhh........... good for meditation and reflection.

What could be a good name for this combo? The Sacred Feminine, perhaps?
    Adding it to my list of combos.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Discovered a new layering combo that transports one to a woody church of flowers and incense and earth.

Feminite du Bois applied to the outer forearm and inner crook of elbow.
    Parfum Sacre applied to the inner wrist.
    ahhh........... good for meditation and reflection.

What could be a good name for this combo? The Sacred Feminine, perhaps?
    Adding it to my list of combos.
    I like this notion, and the naming possibilities, too.

Blog Entries

Quarry, mochi227 and rtamara41 - I am beginning to think that we ladies (and lurking men) who love to layer complex scents are a very rare breed.

I do note always layer to 'improve' a scent but rather use my scents like paints with which to create new, wonderfully delightful scent pictures.

I get quite excited when I discover a scent / note which inspires many new combos but it is rather frustrating that I have no one to share or try them with. Sadly, the majority of perfume users (even here on Basenotes and my other home from home, MUA) consider layering complex perfumes together close to sacrilege! The equivalent of giving the Mona Lisa a 'What Not to Wear' & 'Colour Me Beautiful' makeover.

Well, to h*ll with them. Today I have 'truly' discovered fig as a note & it is beautiful! I have many, many new combo's I am planning to try (see my blog) but for New Year's, tonight with my sweetheart, I shall be wearing:

Ava Luxe Wild Black Fig + Jo Malone Wild Fig & Cassis

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Some of these discoveries come quite by accident:

A flannel cuff retains yesterday's Wet Garden (Demeter scents last better on clothing than on skin), a wrist carries remnants of last night's Nuits de Noho ... and voila! A new scent combo is born. I've just reapplied both scents--best kept lightly applied and not too close together. They smell better with their scents slightly separated. I picture the vapors rising and twisting together like multi-strand ropes of yarn.

Like Orange Blossom, Wet Garden has got to be one of the most useful layering scents. It adds a natural, life-like quality that puts more dimension into the smelling experience.

Smile Re: You crazy layering fiends!

I like layering. I layer according to my mood. Also my makeup goes with my mood. I have different looks, and different scents. One thing I like about layering is that when someone smells me and they like it, the actual scent remains a secret because they can't detect what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    Quarry, mochi227 and rtamara41 - I am beginning to think that we ladies (and lurking men) who love to layer complex scents are a very rare breed.

I do note always layer to 'improve' a scent but rather use my scents like paints with which to create new, wonderfully delightful scent pictures.

I get quite excited when I discover a scent / note which inspires many new combos but it is rather frustrating that I have no one to share or try them with. Sadly, the majority of perfume users (even here on Basenotes and my other home from home, MUA) consider layering complex perfumes together close to sacrilege! The equivalent of giving the Mona Lisa a 'What Not to Wear' & 'Colour Me Beautiful' makeover.
    I watch you layering ladies with awe. "How can they tell what will work?" I haven't really begun layering, aside from using my exquisite new vanilla body lotion under other sugary delights, partly because I'm afraid of ending up with something horrible. Mostly, however, I'm so new at this that I want to get to know these fragrances for themselves first.
    To me, fragrance is an art. And art is creativity. I wouldn't give the Mona Lisa herself a makeover but what's wrong with taking that image and playing with it? Musicians do this all the time. You just keep reworking a theme.
    So I say: "Layer on, Layerers!"

[QUOTE=Quarry]Some of these discoveries come quite by accident:

A flannel cuff retains yesterday's Wet Garden (Demeter scents last better on clothing than on skin), a wrist carries remnants of last night's Nuits de Noho ... and voila! A new scent combo is born. I've just reapplied both scents--best kept lightly applied and not too close together. They smell better with their scents slightly separated. I picture the vapors rising and twisting together like multi-strand ropes of yarn.
    QUOTE]

moondeva, I feel your pain, I myself admit that I have had self doubts since crossing the line with you, my fellow layerers....and yet, layer I must and do.
    quarry, I relate to this above vignette, especially the analogy to weaving, and twisting ropes of yarn. So true. Layering is perhaps a mechanism to expand on the non linear experience even more. As with a single fragrance that is non linear when one experiences the evolution of notes, layering does the same, scents in stereo, if you will. I think it is true that layers are best applied on different patches of skin, though my lolita lempicka and black combo - well , they go directly one over the other.
    one post script. the weaving analogy reminds me of a fantasy quartet that my daughter loves, by Tamora Pierce, called the Circle of Magic. One of the main character weaves strands of silk and light and thereby creates magic. neat story.

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva

Yay! Welcome to the dark side rtamara41 - your view of perfumes will never be the same again!
    [/SIZE]
    moondeva, one couldn't know how prophetic these words would be...alas, have I lost my mind entirely? I ask myself as I sit enshrouded in a fragrant aura of bliss...
    from my belly steam is rising scented of montale's velvet flowers. not sure why it is named thus, since it is a searing scent on me, bewitching...i have not even bothered to check its composition... I assume there are flowers in here, duh - which kind? maybe tuberose? I wonder, but know not for certain.
    If tuberose is criminelle as i have heard it described here, then it could very well be in this creation of montale...bewitching, I repeat.
    on my wrists and forearms rest the warm sultry haze of ambre sultan....yeow!!!!! I can hardly stand myself!! I am in LOVE!!!WOOOO!!!!!!

I doubt I could venture out of the house this way, but I ain't got no plans anyhow...all the menfolk are watching the sugarbowl...me and my sniffies are delightfully alone.

I feel a name coming.... here it comess.....
    Bewitched: Ambre Sultan, applied to wrists + Montale Velvet Flowers , above the belly button, the latter applied quite sparingly.

Layering has always been hit-or-miss for me, but I keep trying it anyway - and checking this thread for ideas. My favorite layering tactic these days is to put on something I like, and then to wait until it settles down into its base notes before I put something else on top of it.

My favorite combination is L'Heure Bleue over the base of Narcisse Noir. It's bitter and smoky and delicate, with a faint, haunting sweetness to it. Last week, I sat down to read, with my wrist to my nose, and found myself just inhaling the scent, obsessively, forgetting even to turn the page.

I also like Fracas over Bulgari Black. Both fragrances can be a little one-dimensional on me - which is a shame, because I love the way they smell on other people - but, when layered, the white florals and black leather resonate and strengthen each other.
    Last edited by djuna; 4th January 2007 at 01:52 AM.

Favorite Notes:
    Rose, Apricot, Violet, Leather, Iris, Blackberry, Saffron, Musk, Incense

I adore layering my favorite fragrances to see what happens.

This week, I layered Tom Ford Black Orchid over Poison EDT over Poison shower gel, and the result was heavenly. Today, I layered Sonia Kashuk No. 1 Gardenia over No. 2 Tuberose and the result was Marc Jacobs. LOL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mharvey816
    I adore layering my favorite fragrances to see what happens.

This week, I layered Tom Ford Black Orchid over Poison EDT over Poison shower gel, and the result was heavenly. Today, I layered Sonia Kashuk No. 1 Gardenia over No. 2 Tuberose and the result was Marc Jacobs. LOL
    Welcome to Basenotes, mharvey816!

Hope to see you on the Great Layering Challenge thread...

Hope to see you too, djuna!

Thanks for the nice welcome -- I'm looking forward to hanging out with and learning from all the great people here.

Thumbs up Re: You crazy layering fiends!

I need to share my latest Layering Experiment:

The Naughty Empress

Creed's Eugenie sprayed on the wrists and above belly button
    Malles' Carnal Flower sparingly applied in crook of inner elbow and hipbones.

Dominant top notes are jasmine tuberose and violet
    Dominant drydown impression is coconut and sandalwood with a hint of vanilla.

This is not for the faint of heart.
    But if you are Naughty and if you are an Empress, who cares?

The Carnal Flower lends a rough patchy velvet impression to the smooth silky elegance of the Eugenie.

My Layered Concoctions: Posting these here as I am changing my signature.

The Sacred Feminine: Feminite du Bois + Parfum Sacre (woody church of incense, flowers and earth)

Lolita Noir: Lolita Lempicka + Bulgari Black (smudgy deep charcoal snugglies)

Some Like it Hot: Feminite du Bois + Patchouli Patch + SL Fleur d'Oranger (spice and flowers, good for cooking curry)

Leather & Lace: Tabac Blond + NR for Her (a pretty whip cracker)

Spice Girls: Arabie + Narcisse Noir (opulent spice market run by mysterious woman)

Bewitched: Ambre Sultan + Montale's Velvet Flowers

Naughty Empress: Creed's Eugenie + Malles' Carnal Flower

Blog Entries

I don't have a name for it yet, but Bvlgari Black + Gaultier2 is pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    I don't have a name for it yet, but Bvlgari Black + Gaultier2 is pretty nice.
    sounds yummy, warm and smooth!

Blog Entries

sounds yummy, warm and smooth!
    It is!!!! Yummy, warm, smooth, with a hint of smoke & rubber .

A little drop or 2 of MKK let it dry then add either a little chergui or even better some fumerie turque very nice indeed.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

New deep layering combo:
    AMBRE NARGUILE &
    BLACK VETYVER CAFE

I felt a personality shift as these two met on my skin. "Grrrrowl." My name for this new scent: BARRY WHITE .

Blog Entries

This Great Layering Challenge seems to have broken down the barriers - and now no scent is safe!

Tuesday night, I re-sampled quite a few perfumes - but my focus was upon two in particular - Jean Patou Patou For Ever and Jean Patou Sublime.

I truly love, the now discontinued Jean Patou classic, Colony. This is a beautiful elegant fruity chypre reminiscent of vintage Guerlain Mitsouko. What Mitsouko does for peach, Jean Patou's Colony does for pineapple. It is a true perfume masterpiece, which is now sadly lost to us.

Jean Patou have attempted to achieve success with two later variations upon the same theme - Sublime is Colony reworked replacing pineapple and fruit with soft citrus and florals, and Patou For Ever is an almost candied fruity pineapple delight very reminiscent of Rochas Femme. Both are wonderful in their own ways but are not a scratch on the unique classic that inspired them both. Each has something rather fundamental missing.

Well, I happened to need to make a small decant of Mitsouko EDT and afterwards, found my self left with a few dregs. Well, my layering Muse struck - *ouch!*

And I was inspired to use the last of spritzs over the 4 perfumes I was sampling.

Results:

Mitsouko Crazy Combo #1:

What did you try?
    Guerlain Mitsouko EDT + Jean Patou ENJoy EDT
    (Mitsouko notes = Bergamot, Rose, Jasmine, Cinnamon, Peach (C-14), Oakmoss, Sandalwood)
    (ENJoy notes = Cassis, Green Banana, Orange, Bergamot, Pear, Mandarin, Bulgarian Rose, Turkish Rose, Hedione, Indian Jasmine, Patchouli, Musk, Vanilla, Amber)

Did you like it?
    Surprisingly yes! The sharp, green banana notes, (which register as green tea to my nose) assert themselves and I am left with a delightful sharp, refreshing fruity floral scent with a bit more mystery, gravitas, sophistication and depth then when ENJoy is worn alone. I am beginning to believe that all Patou’s benefit from a healthy dose of oakmoss chypre in their bases… (See below)

Do you think it ‘works’?
    Yes, in a subtle way.

Did it illicit compliments / comments?
    No. Most of my experimentation is done alone – so as to not cause offence to unsuspecting noses.

Which notes dominated in the blend?
    The fruit, especially the sharp, green banana notes, which register as green tea to my nose.

Did it work out the way you imagined it would?
    No. I had no idea how it would work out. I was being quite Laissez-faire.

Would you wear it again?
    Yes, probably in warmer summer weather. I love my fruity classic chypres but they can be too heavy in summer – this is a great alternative.

Mitsouko Crazy Combo #2:

What did you try?
    Guerlain Mitsouko EDT + Yves Rocher Ode a l'Amour EDT
    (Mitsouko notes = Bergamot, Rose, Jasmine, Cinnamon, Peach (C-14), Oakmoss, Sandalwood)
    (Ode a l'Amour notes = Mirabelle Plum, Currant Blossom, Damson Plum, Ylang-Ylang, Amber, Cistus, Sandalwood)

Did you like it?
    No ma'am.

Do you think it ‘works’?
    No, ma'am!

Yes - If you count the cussing and swearing I was doing at the rank wrongness of this combo...

Stale ashes from cheap cigarettes was the dominate accordwith a supporting note of urine.

I could never have imagined just how wrong that combo would be...

Would you wear it again?
    H*ll No! .... ma'am

Mitsouko Crazy Combo #3:

What did you try?
    Guerlain Mitsouko EDT + Jean Patou Sublime EDT
    (Sublime notes = Orange, Mandarin, Ylang-Ylang, Lily of the Valley, Rose, Jasmine, Orange Blossom, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Vanilla, Amber)

Did you like it?
    Loved it! This is so similar to my beloved Jean Patou Colony – I have the feeling that this combo (using Sublime EDP instead) is going to prove the perfect dupe of my discontinued favourite. I bet this combo will be perfect if I were to add a little Patou For Ever (EDT or EDP) to bring out the delicious tropical pineapple elements of the original! I am so happy to have discovered this combo and the possibilities, that I have already ordered a replacement bottle for my Mitsouko EDT! I am so happy!

Do you think it ‘works’?
    Abso-freakin-lutely! Two classic chypres – how could it go wrong?!

No. Most of my experimentation is done alone – so as not to cause offence to unsuspecting noses. I know that this will be a success as it wears the same as Colony and I have received many compliments on that scent already.

At first the scent is quite sharp as the hesperides zing from the skin; then the scent warms and becomes almost tropical as the ylang-ylang, rose, jasmine, cinnamon and peach notes dominate the heart notes. The best is the yummy velvety oakmoss, amber, vanilla and sandalwood Basenotes which last and last with the most delicious hauntingly luxurious sillage. Classic, irresistible elegance, beauty and femininity combine in this beauty.

Even better! I went to sleep last night / this morning with the biggest smile on my face.

Would you wear it again?
    Yes, Yes, YES!

Mitsouko Crazy Combo #4:

What did you try?
    Guerlain Mitsouko EDT + Jean Patou Patou For Ever EDT
    (Patou For Ever notes = ???)

Did you like it?
    Very much!

Do you think it ‘works’?
    Yes it does – another personal classic for me…

No. Most of my experimentation is done alone – so as not to cause offence to unsuspecting noses. But I do know it will do, and they will be positive…

The almost candied pineapple dominated fruit accords led the cent but the dry, mossy woods of Mitsouko – tempered the sweetness so that the elegance of this chypre could begin to emerge. This crazy combo combines to create a fruity chypre blend that is very reminiscent of Rochas Femme, especially the vintage formulation. Not as dryly elegant as, Colony which it is based upon, Patou For Ever is tamed and groomed losing much of the juvenile, saccharin sweetness and gaining a warm and gamine sophistication.

Yes it did, but it actually exceeded my expectations. I now have another ‘original’ formulation of my favourite type of scent to add to my fragrance repertoire. That is a big plus!

Would you wear it again?
    Absolutely!

I am so excited by my success with these combo’s that I am even considering seeking out other Jean Patou Classics (Joy, 1000, Cocktail) and see how the melancholy oakmoss chypre boost works for them too…

Blog Entries

New deep layering combo:

AMBRE NARGUILE &

BLACK VETYVER CAFE

I felt a personality shift as these two met on my skin. "Grrrrowl." My name for this new scent: BARRY WHITE .
    This sounds completely delicious Quarry! I loved Barry White and anything that evokes the sexy sensuality of that voice has gotta be worth trying...!

Do you know where I can get a sample of, or a good dupe for the Ambre Narguile? Thanks!

Smile Re: You crazy layering fiends!

Mitsouko Edt and O de Lancome. Citrusy and chypre-ish! Might be nice for summer nights.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vezerne
    Mitsouko Edt and O de Lancome. Citrusy and chypre-ish! Might be nice for summer nights.
    I can definitely see this working in the summer! Similar to a less green Balmain Vent Vert, or a more tart / astringent Guerlain Sublime (with lime instead of orange / mandarin! Yum, yum, yum!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Black Vetyver Cafe & Messe de Minuit
    Coffee in a used-book store.

Ambre Narguile & Guerlain's With Love
    There's an amber crossover that draws these two together.
    WL's florals bring new dimensions to the AN--like fireworks reflected in a deep, black pool.
    Last edited by Quarry; 13th January 2007 at 02:39 PM.

Black Vetyver Cafe & Messe de Minuit
    Coffee in a used-book store.

Ambre Narguile & Guerlain's With Love
    There's an amber crossover that draws these two together.
    WL's florals bring new dimensions to the AN--like fireworks reflected in a deep, black pool.
    HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, WOMAN!
    You make these sound SOOOOO good...not to mention that Barry White concoction...
    BUt you should not be distracting me from my week with SERGE>
    My only safety net is that I don't own any of these. phew.
    safe for a while at least.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

My only safety net is that I don't own any of these.
    Yet

An inadvertent layering occurrence has caused me to seek out this old thread of interesting combos.

Today I have been sampling Nuits de Scherrer on one wrist and Timbuktu on the other, and while I initially found them diametrically opposed, I am beginning to think they are made for one another!

The Nuits, for which I have no official notes, can only be described by me as a softer and gentler Eugenie. Whereas Eugenie has bare shoulders and long tousled scented hair, Nuits is more elegant, if not as beguiling, with hair smoothed into a classic chignon. I detect jasmine and sandalwood and may be imagining the presence of mint, simply because it gives me a clean , uplifting impression. Some might call it soapy. I like it, but might grow tired of it without the alternate salt and pepper spice that the
    Timbuktu is affording me. It's as if the Nuits has broken into a light sweat after the exertion of dancing. The Timbuktu was initially reminiscent of Le Baiser du Dragon, but after wearing it several hours, I changed my mind. Dragon is sweeter. Timbuktu has a saltier sweatier drydown. Very earthy and grounding. The pepper is mostly in the topnote.
    Here are the notes of Timbuktu according to BN:

* Top Notes
    * Mango, Berries, Pink Pepper, Cardamom,

Middle Notes
    * Karo Karounde Flower, Papyrus Wood, Frankincense,

Base Notes
    * Myrrh, Vetiver, Patchouli, Benzoin,

Nuits and Timbuktu make me think of a lesbian couple that I have been friends with for years. One of them is known to tote her own bottle of tequila with a lime and salt shaker to parties (for her I would gift the Timbuktu) the other is a more traditional Mama, more reserved, at least in public .
    They make a wonderful loving couple and these fragrances make a satisfying match.

hmmm... maybe I could call this concoction "Aimee and Jaguar" after that nineties German movie about the Jewish "Mata Hari" journalist who falls in love with the wife of a Nazi soldier.

Timbuktu + Nuits de Scherrer = my layering adventure of the day
    Last edited by rtamara41; 6th March 2007 at 04:25 PM.

This just made me play around with some samples!

Blue Sunset: Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Aracnia di Capri + Escada Sunset Heat.

Ananas Safran: L'artisan's Safran Troublant + Ananas Fizz

Flongkha or Dzongkhence: Tocca Florence + L'Artisan Dzongkha

Wink Re: You crazy layering fiends!

I always thought that layering would be a unique & interesting idea. Take two or more different scents & mix them together to create a new scent. One of the only times that layering worked was with Enigma & Alexandria by DeMarkoff. That was like thirty years ago. One combo that was a hit was Fendi & Casmir. I used to mix those & men would go insane. I had this guy follow me out of Publix & sniff my in the parking lot, and ask if he could just take in the "incredible aroma." The other one's I've tried have failed miserably. One scent usually cancels out the other.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly Dagger
    I always thought that layering would be a unique & interesting idea. Take two or more different scents & mix them together to create a new scent. One of the only times that layering worked was with Enigma & Alexandria by DeMarkoff. That was like thirty years ago. One combo that was a hit was Fendi & Casmir. I used to mix those & men would go insane. I had this guy follow me out of Publix & sniff my in the parking lot, and ask if he could just take in the "incredible aroma." The other one's I've tried have failed miserably. One scent usually cancels out the other.
    Oh, sorry that you are disheartened from your layering experiences to date, Dolly Dagger. The Fendi + Casmir does sound a winner! I have a similar response with Paloma Picasso + Ava Luxe Dark Amber.

I think you need to make sure the two scents you are layering are of equal strength or at least intensity, with compatible pitches. So whilst one may dominate with intense higher pitched top notes the other will smooth and soften with it's heavier basenotes. Or something like that.

Really the whole thing of layering is about the fun of experimentation and adventure. You may get plenty of misses and mistakes but when you find a blend that works its like discovering / creating a brand new scent!
    Last edited by moondeva; 10th March 2007 at 11:10 AM.

I may have gone too far tonight.

I layered Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

and

Serge Lutens Miel de Bois

has this idea been entertained? what if a guy and a gal who were into layering brought their best and brightest scent out, what would happen? Where would the ideal bi-sexual layering take place? Like what room? what else would be required?
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 9th March 2007 at 11:45 PM.

I haven't been crazy so much yet, but I am getting bolder in my experiments.

So far I've been very pleased with:

Black Cashmere + Ambre Sultan
    Coco Mademoiselle + Passage d'Enfer
    Espresso ground scrub lingering from the shower
    + Jicky parfum (or Lush Silky Underwear)
    Guerlain AA Rosa Magnifica + AA Lavande Velours

I know there are more, but these have all been repeated. On my to try list is Rose Ikebana + Ambre Narguile (Ayala suggested this one, I think suggested to her at the Hermes boutique.)

I may be a purist...I 'm really afraid to have a stroke if I continued reading the whole thread ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin de Grasse
    I may be a purist...I 'm really afraid to have a stroke if I continued reading the whole thread ha ha
    Don't be frightened, my dear, just come a little bit closer, now, there we go...
    (spritzing a bit of Fleurs d'Oranger beside your Chanel no 5)
    have a whiff of that...I think it might be quite lovely!

Don't be frightened, my dear, just come a little bit closer, now, there we go...
    (spritzing a bit of Fleurs d'Oranger beside your Chanel no 5)
    have a whiff of that...I think it might be quite lovely!

I 'd love to have fun like that too but most of my wardrobe are perfumes like Rose Barbare at $190 a bottle or rare vintage, still the only fragrance I like to play with is Clair de Musc, I sometimes use it to soften up a classic perfumey scent or a masculine scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin de Grasse
    I 'd love to have fun like that too but most of my wardrobe are perfumes like Rose Barbare at $190 a bottle or rare vintage, still the only fragrance I like to play with is Clair de Musc, I sometimes use it to soften up a classic perfumey scent or a masculine scent.
    But I thought I was choosing from your wardrobe...don't you have Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger? I truly think a spritz of the Lutens next to a dab of your Chanel no 5 could have remarkable potential.
    But that's just me...crazy layering fiend that I am!

Today, in light of the beginning to our Guerlain Week I wanted to wear Shalimar to honor and celebrate the day . But when I woke up, all my thoughts were wrapped around wearing Tabac Blond. What was I to do but layer the two and create the most heavenly, most sexy scent I've ever come across.
    Many compliments on this awesome combo from hubby and from my sister. I will be wearing this again and again .
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    But I thought I was choosing from your wardrobe...don't you have Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger? I truly think a spritz of the Lutens next to a dab of your Chanel no 5 could have remarkable potential.
    But that's just me...crazy layering fiend that I am!

I once wore Fleurs d 'Oranger along with Santal de Mysore and it felt like a bad Shalimar (no idea why), that unfortunate experience stopped my layering adventures.
    but I used to have a decant of Un Bois Sepia wich I loved a lot but too masculine when used straight-up so I would soften it up with Clair de Musc, that I believe was the best.
    As far as I m concerned Clair de Musc is my safest best layering down scent.