Code of Conduct

Default Need a non-niche spicy fragrance

Good evening all, I have a bit of a question for you all with just one limitation on possible answers.
    My dilema is simple: I broke my bottle of Havana. So while my bathroom smells lovely right now, I am out one of my favorite scents and I don't want to pay 70 dollars for another bottle online. I've loved the smell over the past decade, but it's time to move on I guess. I need a readily available spicy fragrance. I know I won't be able to find something that's the same as Havana (except for Montana Pour Homme lol) but I want something with a similar *feel* to it. A heavy,heady, spicy, masculine brew. The only reason I'm saying no niche fragrances is that for this month I can't just drop 100 on a bottle of something, I need it to be slightly more affordable due to the holiday crunch

Default Re: Need a non-niche spicy fragrance

Sorry to hear about your loss...
    Just go for Montana or Nemo (Cacharel). I find Nemo very similar, actually delicioius, but more reserved.
    RM

Oh, *ouch* re. the Havanah loss (yes, I'm female, yes, I wear Havanah and so does my husband. One of our mutual favorites). I've heard Czech and Speake's "Cuba" is another good tobacco/spicy scent, but haven't tested it myself, and that probably doesn't count as "non-niche." May be worth a shot, though. The other Aramis I like is Tuscany, though that's a sweeter spicy. I can tell you Caron's "Tabac Blond" underwhelmed me personally (not enough spice and intensity), but it's another option, depending on what kind of depth you're looking for. What was Aramis thinking when they discontinued Havanah? ARGH! Good luck, Barnstormer. And let us all know if you find a good subsitute?

ComDiva

I've been considering getting a bottle of Royall Spyce. I wonder if that might work for you. Anybody tried that one and Havana and could compare? It's an EDC as compared to an EDT like Havana so it definately wouldn't be as strong.

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva
    What was Aramis thinking when they discontinued Havanah?

ComDiva
    According to Habanos, S.A. "We also obtained favorable decisions in France, with courts ordering Aramis to withdraw its Havana brand of perfume as well as another company that was using in perfume the denomination Cuba."

I can only guess that they were trying to avoid future legal hassles with this premium cigar company.

Quote Originally Posted by Caoleus

I can only guess that they were trying to avoid future legal hassles with this premium cigar company.
    Why dont they just re-issue it with a different name then? I dont think name is the reason people buy it

Quote Originally Posted by Peace
    Why dont they just re-issue it with a different name then? I dont think name is the reason people buy it
    Great idea! We can only hope that the marketing gurus at Estee Lauder will come to the same conclusion

Not exactly the same feel (i.e., no tobacco), but Jacomo de Jacomo is a great spicy scent that can be had for a song.

Azzaro Visit

Favorite spicy scent for this time of year: Halston Catalyst.

The best part, it's *cheap* and can be had for under $15 at TJ Maxx and the like. It smells much more expensive than that, though.

Halston Z-14 also.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

My vote goes for Loewe's Solo.

I second Stuffman in his suggestion of Catalyst for Men. Great stuff; great price -- and a perennial compliment grabber, too!
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 12th December 2006 at 07:26 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Halston Z-14
    Polo original
    Sung Pour Homme
    Safari

How about Hermes Rocabar?

Spices and woods, with a little more emphasis on spice. No tobacco though.

Lagerfeld Photo can also be picked up real cheap.

Nothing smells like Havana though! One of my all time favorites!

I second Catalyst as a choice. I still have a "test tube" of edt. I got it as a set in the late 90s. The edt and the aftershave came in a set of test tube shaped flacons, with their own little stands. The aftershave was a hoot! It was a greenish, cloudy liquid with an oily, orange colored clear liquid "settled" on top (...about half and half.) I had to shake it to mix the liquids so I could use it. It added to the chemistry theme that this frag is going for.

Fun stuff! I don't have to aftershave anymore, but I still have the edt. I wore it to a friends wedding in Oct.

S

I recommend that you give Rive Gauche Pour Homme a try.

Try Hermes - Rocabar, it's like a deeper, smoother Azzaro Visit.

Thrax

Opium PH

Hi, and welcome to Basenotes!

This one's a bit expensive, but it is quite good. You may not try it now, but one day if you get a chance. I think you'll like it...

Basala by Shiseido

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme. Woods, spices, tobacco. It fits the bill.

Lightbulb Re: Need a non-niche spicy fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme. Woods, spices, tobacco. It fits the bill.
    Absolutely. Very good choice!

Here's another one of my favorites. You don't hear a lot about it, but you would be surprised by it:

Romeo Gigli Uomo

It's in the Oriental - Spicy family, as is Havana.

Thanks for all the responses guys, only one problem! I've smelled most of the scents in this thread and none of them remind me of Havana

1: Nemo. Too synthetic for my tastes, I do like the 'heavy' feel of the scent but in the end it is more woody/green to me than Havana
    2: Halston. Spicy but smells cheap to me.
    3: Nice enough scent but too much cloying and fake nutmeg for me
    4: Safari. I lke it, it's more of a 'bright' daytime spice to me. I think Havana is more 'dark' and nightime for a spice
    5: Rive Gauche is the opposite of spice to me. Also it smells a bit like BO underneath
    6: Opium Pour Homme. I love this scent (owned the EDP) but it's a gourmand without much spice IMHO
    7&G Pour Homme: The tobacco is too light in this for me and the drydown has too much cedar for me.

So unless I go nice it seems like I'm screwed

I will try Basala, but Czech and Speake seems to have a better line over all. Can anyone tell me where to order Cuba from? Their main site is English, I was wondering if I could get anything stateside.

Gucci Envy, D&G PH, Gucci Rush.

Best place to buy it stateside is at cambridge chemists (can't post a link, but google it for website)
    I visited the actual shop about a month and a half ago in NYC and they offer a 10% cash discount, so if you knew someone that lived there you could save some money.