Code of Conduct

Smile Deep Thoughts on L'Artisan

For the past few days, I've been trying the six samples of L'Artisan Perfumeur I obtained last week:
    • Dzing!
    • Dzongkha
    • Mure et Musc
    • Fou d'Absinthe
    • Méchant Loup
    • Timbuktu
    So far, the only two I've still to wear are Fou d'Absinthe and Mure et Musc.

I waited with bated breath for my samples to arrive and once they did, I smelled them immediately. My first impressions were that I was going to like all of them and I felt a streak of panic because I simply couldn't afford to "like" all of them. Not at $75 a pop for 50ml!

I wore Dzing! first and my favorable initial impression of it was confirmed by that lush smokiness and tea accord; the drydown is just great. If there was anything negative--and it's a small one at that--it was how close to the skin Dzing! stayed. Longevity was decent. So far so good.

Next, Timbuktu. I was intrigued by this fragrance, having been to Mali in my youth myself. This went on with that peculier "Tinny" or metalic smell that I have come to recognize in the top notes of L'Artisans. While I think this is a well-crafted scent, and I did like the whiffs I would smell from time to time, I realize even more that I am not a fan of Vetiver even more after Timbuktu although sillage and longevity was also decent.

Méchant Loup smelled absolutely great in the sample tube, smelled even better as I applied it but then it took on that "tinny" smell followed by an overwhelming accord of steam. Yes, steam from a boiling kettle! I don't think there's any other way of describing this one. With that on my mind, I rejoiced at my "ingenuity" for not buying this one blind as I'd planned. I'd have been most unhappy.

Dzongkha, which I'm wearing today, is a horse of a different color. I knew I would like it when I sniffed it in the sample bottle. I knew I would like it from the description of the notes and I am happy to say I have not changed my happy mind now that I've worn it for about six hours. I understand exactly when people describe Dzongkha as a quiet, contemplative scent. I totally agree. This is now, by far, my favorite of the L'Artisan line.

I wish like heck I'd ordered the Tea For Two sample because it comes highly recommended, but it completely skipped my mind when ordering from beautycafe.com! Argh.

I'll try Fou d'Absinthe tomorrow and report, as I will on Mure et Musc the day after. Wish me luck!
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Default Re: Deep Thoughts on L'Artisan

I have tried them all except Timbuktu and Dzongkha.

I found your "steam" comparison of Mechant Loup interesting; I smell slightly roasted peanuts. I definitely don't like this smell, although roasted peanuts can be delicious.

The boozy alcohol smell of Fou d'Absinthe was mildly interesting, before it disintegrated into a sweet herbal accord which was "bleh". It lasts longer than the other L'Artisans though.

Mure Et Musc - I prefer the better blended and longer lasting "Muskissime" series by MPG to this.

Dzing! is the clear winner to me, although I would like an "Extreme" version to counter its watery nature.
    -

I forgot to add that at certain points when wearing Méchant Loup, I could have sworn I was wearing Rive Gauche!

Hi,

I am happy you have tried and enjoyed the L'Artisans. Time and time again, I have heard complaints about the longevity of L'artisans and my own experience confirms this. They stay close to the skin and fade in a few hours. The only L'artisan that I have had some luck with as far as lasting power has been Fou d'Absinthe, and I think this is because it is an eau de parfum concentration, not an eau de toilette like the rest.

Funny enough, I have never smelled the vetiver in Timbuktu. On me, its mostly cedar from top notes to drydown, which is disappointing.

If you liked Dzing! (a personal favorite of mine) and Dzongkha, I absolutely recommend you try both Tea for Two and Passage d'Enfer. Passage d'Enfer is an austere incense; I found it is wonderful by itself but also works great for layering.

Quote Originally Posted by bren
    If you liked Dzing! (a personal favorite of mine) and Dzongkha, I absolutely recommend you try both Tea for Two and Passage d'Enfer. Passage d'Enfer is an austere incense; I found it is wonderful by itself but also works great for layering.
    for sure. Also don't miss VdR, melancoly in a bottle. If you've seen Wings of Desire by Wim Wenders, you will recognize VdR.

EDIT: O, and Navegar (smells like rain) and L'Eau d'Navigatuer (smells like Starbucks)

Thrax

I love all the ones that you have mentioned. L'Artisans seem to have real quality and clarity to them. By clarity I mean they knew what they wanted to do and they did it. I feel with most other scents they get a good idea of what they want to do and then gather the notes that make the scent. When they get so far they say, "well, thats pretty damn good. Put in in a bottle." I just feel that L'artisan really gets it, not just "almost gets what they were trying to set out for." They amaze for becuase of thier sheer ability to capture a mood, or a scent and put it into a bottle. They smell clear, sharp, and clean (even the ones that are dirty) and you can really tell what they tried to do with the scent. They are of the highest quality (to me anyway). L'Artisan is by far my favorite house. With Montale coming in second. Also Joel_Cairo is right about VdR being pretty much depression in a bottle. It's just amazing to me what this company can do.

I also have all of those (except Fou d'absinthe).

The thing that I've always found most interesting about L'artisan is just how different the scents "feel" to each person wearing them. Though every fragrance changes depending on the body chemistry of the wearer, I've never heard such different experiences as I have with various fragrances from L'artisan. For example, when I read some reviews of Passage d'enfer and then tried it myself, I really wondered if everybody had been talking about the same fragrance. Likewise with ifconfig's descriptions of Timbuktu and Mechant Loup; I get an almost completely different dynamic from them.

For that reason, L'artisan is probably one of the hardest fragrance houses to recommend to others. I guess we can say which ones WE like the best, but because of its changing dynamic, it's hard to recommend to others. I guess this is the appeal of a "niche" house... It's not something upon which everybody is going to agree.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

L'AP is one of my favorite houses. FdA(5/5) is one of their absolute bests IMO. I also love MME Extreme(5/4) and Timbuktu(5/5). For some reason, PdE almost made me gag . T42(3/4) is just OK to me. VdR(4/2) is a dark, rose garden and worthy of owning. AF(5/4) is fruit candy in a bottle. PF(5/4) is fig-fine

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I love Fou d'Absinthe soooooo much. It is really something I can wear all year. On my second bottle now.

My second favorite is Navegar, but we need an extreme version of this one.

I also like Tea for Two but have never bought a bottle.

Great stuff...I remember the first samples I got from this line...I was blown away! My introduction to niche was Dzing! and Navegar on that day. Love this hobby.

I still think L'eau du Navigateur is one of my top three after trying what must be around 700+ fragrances now. I recently compared LdN again to a bottle of Eau des Iles, it's MPG cousin, and find it to be much more enjoyable with different levels of progression whereas EdI seems to be a bit more linear. If you like coffee, leather, and tobacco with a blast of smokiness, LdN is highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark
    I still think L'eau du Navigateur is one of my top three after trying what must be around 700+ fragrances now. I recently compared LdN again to a bottle of Eau des Iles, it's MPG cousin, and find it to be much more enjoyable with different levels of progression whereas EdI seems to be a bit more linear. If you like coffee, leather, and tobacco with a blast of smokiness, LdN is highly recommended.
    Ughh...Eau Des Iles is just suffocating, deep, and unwearable.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Thrax
    ...Also Joel_Cairo is right about VdR being pretty much depression in a bottle. It's just amazing to me what this company can do.
    How about melancholy replacing depression which is such a serious disease? I do like this post about L'Artisan as a whole. I am curious to hear what Fou d'Absinthe will mean to someone who smells it for the first time. I have just sampled it myself.
    Last edited by narcus; 13th December 2006 at 09:47 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Okay, finally tried Fou D'Absinthe. It's a monster (of longevity) all right. For some unknown, but annoying reason, FdA had that same metallic steam note I got from some of the other L'Artisans and intermittently, I got a Rive Gauche-like saltiness.

The good thing about it is that it's immaculate. Yes, there's really no other way to describe it. To me, it's a very clean, exceedingly well-crafted fragrance that spells quality. I can see why this one's a favorite of a lot of people. Unfortunately, while I can definitely agree on the high-quality of its construction, it will not be an everyday or favorite wear.

So then, in my exploration of the L'Artisan line, my favorite is Dzing! Coming in a distant second is Dzongkha. Bear in mind I still haven't tried Mure et Musc, which may end up blowing away Dzing! I doubt it.
    Last edited by ifconfig; 21st December 2006 at 03:10 PM.

I didn't fall in love with Fou d'Absinthe immediately. I had a sample and used it up. Didn't have an overwhelming love for it I thought, but everyday for a month I longed for the the smell of it and finally got a full bottle to calm my obsessive/compulsive little mind. Now I am happy again.

I am having the same relationship now with Montale - Black Aoud. It will eventually haunt me into submission.

You are right ifconfig about a similarity that Rive Gauche and Fou d'Absinthe share. Joel Cairo touched on this as well when he reviewed it some time ago.

I don't get the complaints about longevity. Dzing was a little short natured, but Merchant Loup (my fragrance today) has lasted 11 hours on my skin. This is just a sample vial too. Most sample vials last 6 or 7 hours max. Plus it has pretty good sillage for being such a small application.

I really like a couple of Creeds and Serge Lutens. However, Bottle to Bottle I'd have to say L'Artisan has the most impressive collection of fragrances IMHO.