Code of Conduct

Thumbs down cuticles in wintertime

Wintertime turns my nails and cuticles into a mess. A dry, peeling, mess. Naturally I make it worse because when I feel hangnails forming around my cuticles, I tend to pick at them or touch them so often I aggravate things.

So besides trying to stop picking at my cuticles in winter (as if I think this barbaric grooming will actually help?!), what are some things you do? I have tried cuticle creams and oils and not only is it a pain to remember to do this every evening, but I wasn't too convinced they helped. I put cream on my hands every time after I wash my hands, but I need to get some good gloves to be better protected in winter (I need a thin, but warm, glove).
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: cuticles in wintertime

This is not an exclusively female issue, I fear - the same thing happens to me. My hands in general get very dry and raw in the winter. Cracking and bleeding is not uncommon.

I think you should keep up with the oils and creams. Also, after you wash your hands, push down cuticles quickly and gently when you dry them. If you make it a habit, hangnails won't have a chance to form.

I use an oil as often as I can. Solar oil or anything that's around. Olive oil or cooking oil works just fine. Just massage a few drops in and use the residue on the rest of your hands. I feel it's really less greasy than most hand creams.

Post Thanks / Like

Gloves are a must. Cold dry air is bad enough, but also cold fingers don't get good blood flow, so the cuticle and entire nail will not grow as fast and renew. I do love Solar Oil, and the Solar cream is nice, but it smells like almonds and sometimes it interferes with my fragrance. I use a lot of unscented Sweet Almond Oil, like one can buy for massages, after a bath for all over. It's a pretty non-greasy oil and soaks right in. It's a primary ingrediant in Solar Oil, but without the bitters (the fragrance component.) The thing about lotions is they have water, which makes things damp, which invites yeast or bacteria when used constantly, and which evaporates and makes things cold. All bad.

My Mom, who works outdoors incessantly, actually just uses Vaseline, and swears by it. She has, I admit, the dryest skin I've ever seen, and she puts this in a thin film on her face as well. It's a total evaporative block, so no moisture escapes, and she feels no wind chill. She has pretty good skin for 72. I couldn't have it on my face, I don't think, but on problem cuticles in winter it would last like nothing else, I bet, and probably not wash off easily with the necessary anti-virus hand washing of winter.

I use a AHA face cream on my cuticles in winter at night. It's easy, since I have it on my face and hands anyway, I just rub in a bit on my cuticles. Sam has more dry skin problems than me, and I started out trying to help his painful and constantly torn cuticles. The AHA helps shed the dead cells completely so they can't "hang around" (ha, ha, get it? God, I'm so funny.)

For dry cracked and bleeding fingers, find and try Lotil cream. That condition has an element of fungal/yeast infection and Lotil has antifungal properties. This is not my advice, but that of a hand surgeon I used to work with.

Oh, and definately keep a nail clipper in your pocket, to clip hang nail right away. Even Sam does, a 12 yo boy! This mama also disinfects it with alcohol when I empty his pockets to wash his jeans. His nails were really a painful annoyance to him.

Uhmmm, also, don't use a triple antibiotic ointment as a constant thing, as this throws off the balance of natural, good skin flora (the happy term for bacteria we like) and you promise yourself a resistant infection.

Okay, I'm done.
    Last edited by Shycat; 29th December 2006 at 06:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I always take a tablespoon of cod liver oil (with lemon flavour) daily in winter. Believe it or not, it solves the problem!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I have the same problem as you Mochi, and the worse they get the more I pick at them, bad. Tigrushka, about the only thing I haven't tried is cod liver oil. I'm getting some. But does it make you smell fishy?

I just bought a huge bottle of cod liver oil capsules, now if I can just remember to take them everyday. It does leave a fishy taste in my mouth, but I don't smell fish on my skin. Might take a while to notice a big different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The capsules leave the taste, but the flavoured oil does not. It takes some time before you can see the difference but it works wonders.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

Usually takes 4 weeks for vits to kick in.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    I always take a tablespoon of cod liver oil (with lemon flavour) daily in winter. Believe it or not, it solves the problem!
    My mother does this,too. Geeaagghhh! And hers is not flavored or anything. I tried the capsules, but I burp too much. I take a multivitamen and Flax seed oil capsules, which has the Omega-3 fatty acids. Cod liver oil is good for Vit A and D, but I take a multivitamen. I don't have to worry about heavy metals or PCB's with Flax, although realistically any reputable producer will test for these now. What my Mom does I pay attention to--not just cuz she's my mom but because she is my 75 year old mom who still works (play for her!) outside like a farm hand and giggles quite a bit. Healthy and happy.
    Last edited by Shycat; 6th February 2007 at 06:09 PM.

I also take the flax and EFA's, but they haven't worked after years and thus the cod liver oil capsules. This seems so odd. My mother is seventy three and can run circles around me. When I went up to see her, thinking to find a frail little waste of a person, she was out lifting heavy logs to put on the fireplace. It wore me out just watching her.

I've started using The Body Shop almond cuticle cream (it's in a small little tub and looks like lipbalm.) It's actually my miracle product and I keep it in my bag. It works.

Flax seed oil sounds like a good idea too.
    "Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hemp-seed oil, petrolatum/Lotil, and a nail nipper

My skin is quite dry, so I have this problem, too. I also spent a good chunk of time researching this, for a manuscript I have in progress.

Results:

Hemp-seed oil has about the best ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids (3 teaspoons daily, and not particularly nasty, quite a light oil), without the PCB/heavy metal problem, or the possibility of skewing intake too far in favour of omega-6 fatty acids, as can happen with flax-seed oil alone;

Vaseline is what I use whenever something (lips, feet, cuticles) is kind of raw, and gives the best results, although Lotil, a favourite of mine, is excellent too;

The suggestion of carrying a nail nipper wherever you go is excellent, since it stops a given hang-nail or rough edge in its tracks, instead of aggravating it the way chewing, andf picking do.

Post Thanks / Like

As a manicurist, my best advice is to purchase these items. 1) Aveda's Beautifying Composition 2) Aveda's Hand Relief cream 3) an empty polish bottle

Pour some of the BC into the polish bottle and keep on your person at all times. That way, whenever those cuticles feel out of control, you can just brush some on and hydrate them in a jiffy. The Hand Relief is great because it lasts through three hand washings.

Also, another great tip is to push back your cuticles on a regular basis. If you are always cutting them it just makes them grow back harder and thicker.

And one last thing I almost forgot is that I would also recommend using a nice scrub maybe a few times a week to exfoliate. After you finish rubbing it all over the hands just rinse it off (not wash off with soap) so that way the oils stay on the hands. I personally like any of the ones from Body Shop or Bath and Body Works.

I douse my hands (and face, and hair if it's really dry!) with Weleda's Wild Rose Oil before bedtime.

Post Thanks / Like

Barielle Nail Strengthener Cream is the best thing I ever found, thanks for reminding me, I'm going to get some more. Drugstore.com carries it and there are reviews on there. Shea butter also is good and another thing you can try is salt in some oil, massage it into your cuticles like a one minute manicure to condition and remove dead skin.

Post Thanks / Like

Once-weekly manicures and a heavy hand lotion once a day (or twice+ if they're super dry) should do the trick.
    Last edited by bernat; 1st December 2007 at 01:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Jojoba oil before bed after washing face and same w/morning seems to have made a big difference for me and I was a picker even in the summer
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

Vietnamese-American manicurist 5 blocks from my house -- $7.00 plus tip every two weeks.
    Keeps my cuticles (and nails!) perfect -- truly a miracle cure.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 3rd January 2008 at 01:55 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

That's the way to do it!!! (But our nail shop charges $12.00) They truly snip away every bit of dry/dead skin, and the hand massage is sooooooooo relaxing!

I also swear by Eucerin cream - the one in the jar - it was recommended to me about 5 years ago by a surgeon, and I've used it ever since!

And, yes, gloves are a must! In the winter I even use those playtex living gloves for dishes and housecleaning!

Mine are usually okay, but then I chomp the skin around my nails to shreds during exams or whenever I'm stressed out. I've done this so many times that I can draw blood and hardly feel it.

Post Thanks / Like

me too. Its embarassing.
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've discovered Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream. I love it!!! It works wonders for my actual nails. I still pick @ my cuticles, though .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

My cuticles improved with use of Sally Hansen's little paint brush thing. I can't find it at this moment to be more specific, but it is the size of a mascara and you twist the end to coat the little brush with gel. It was very effective in quite a short time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    My cuticles improved with use of Sally Hansen's little paint brush thing. I can't find it at this moment to be more specific, but it is the size of a mascara and you twist the end to coat the little brush with gel. It was very effective in quite a short time.
    Oh yeah, I used to have one of those! Those are really great to conveniently add moisture to your nails & cuticles when you're on the go. I even got my mom hooked on those .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Get some vitamin E in gel cap form. Break open the gel cap with a pin and squeeze out on the cuticle. I do this once a day in the evening before bed. Works for me.
    Your Kung Fu is No Good Here