Code of Conduct

Default Rose 31 - Le Labo, What is going on here?

I wore Rose 31 on a second date on Saturday and was told that I smelled
    intoxicating (in a good way).

Today, I wore it to work and immediately was told by a female co-worker that my scent was amazing. She has only complimented me twice before on scents. (Pomegranate Noir, and Piper Nigrum)

And the kicker...I had two straight male co-workers approach me at different times today...voices almost at a whisper and looking around to make sure no one could hear them talk to me. Obviously uncomfortable, each asked what scent I was wearing and said that it was incredible. One said that I smelled 'very sexy'! Holy Shit..these guys have never said anything to me before about any scent I was wearing and they work near me everyday.
    What is going on with Rose 31?
    They wanted to know what it was but I just told them some new fragrance you could only get in New York. I am not ready to share this with guys in my office.

Never has a fragrance done this for me. I am almost freaked to wear it to work again.

Default Re: Rose 31 - Le Labo, What is going on here?

it's not called "Rosebud" is it?

anyway . . . hmm all this and you have no idea ? ?? ! ! !

is anyone doing a group grope buy of this one?

'Rosebud' LOL! I guess I have found another scent that just seems to work well with my chemistry. There are 5 or 6 in my collection that just become apart of me when I wear them if that makes sense.

There is something in Rose 31 though that even forces two straight southern males at work, that have never commented on my scents, to tell me 'I smell incredible' on the same day. This is kinda fun...

Out of curiosity, how did you apply it? I notice that, per its website, this fragrance does not come in an atomizer; so do you splash it on, or decant it into an atomizer and then apply?

*edit* Nevermind, I missed that the splash version is only the 500 or 1000ml bottles.

My first Le Labo scent, but I've fallen in love with Strange invisible's Black Rossette, much denser, opulent, dark, and spiritual. love the oud note in 31, but the cumin note makes this scent seem a lil Mature (not in a good way), I've had mixed reactions. Still love Patchouli 24, and my new LL fave Bergamote 22 , love the nutmeg drydown.

musclegod007, I sampled Bergamote 22 several weeks back and thought I detected a hint of Cumin in it as well, no? It was beautiful though. I don't know whether to get Bergamote 22 or FM - Bigarade Concentree in the spring.

I surprised you like Rose 31 so much-- to me it's an extremely boring scent. Rather than smelling like something new and original, it simply reminds me of a less powdery version Brit, which I don't like very much. It isn't horrible or anything, but I'd rather something rub me the wrong way with it's weirdness than with its lack of originality.

I am totally in love with Rose 31, and find it like nothing I have ever smelled before. But, I can totally understand if someone else doesn't like it or thinks it is boring. It doesn't scream at me, but lingers around me softly. It is also my biggest compliment getter.

Why are you 'SURPRISED' that I like it? Do you know me or my tastes? Are we personal friends? The beauty of this board is that we learn from each other's likes and dislikes as well as acknowledging and respecting the fact that each member's nose perceives a fragrance in a different way.

Merry Christmas
    Barry

this is funny to me...ROSE 31 was my 1st Le Labo and it is one of my faves...BUT, it is my Dad's Favorite scent as well....who would've thought that my Dad and I would both LOVE the same scent ???

OK, I have to convince myself that I don't need a $115 bottle. The $45 will be plenty, but what if I run out and I don't have the cash at the time to get another? What then? Haha, I don't have any idea of what to do. I'm probably going to get the $115 bottle, if I got the 50ml at the going rate of the 15ml, I'd be paying $150. Jock_With_Scents, thanks for giving good reviews of this scent, I'm glad I finally got a chance to try it.
    - Rich
    --------------------------------------
    By the way, what kind of longevity do you guys get out of this?
    - Rich
    Also, did anyone get the lotion? I'm thinking about getting that too, to get a little layering action.
    - Rich
    Last edited by _R$_; 6th February 2007 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

how did you get a chance to try it?

Bought a 2.5ml sample from Buffalo_Gal. Too late for me though, I just ordered the 50ml bottle from Le Labo. Didn't get the lotion though, and I wish I had. Only problem was it's $55. Maybe I will end up getting it. Maybe not. I'm too young to be spending $55 on one bottle of lotion.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Here is the deal with Rose 31....I spray about 5 -7 sprays on my neck and chest. I wait 5 minutes and then repeat. Lasts 8 hours easy for me this way.
    For the light spraying basenoters, this may raise some eyes, but it works for me. Rose 31 is a scent that lingers around me, but doesn't scream. It has good manners.

I think the allure of Rose 31 that many have complimented me on, is the cumin and animal note interacting with my body chemistry in the drydown. It has a wonderful drydown with just a hint of creamy green. Will 4 sprays get you there...well may work for you but I need 12 - 15 sprays to get my MY desired effect. At that rate, I may go through 1.7 ounces at a fast pace, but I have decided that the Return on Investment is worth it! But please remember, only my opinion. Sample it yourself, to see if you find the beauty in it.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 6th February 2007 at 01:31 PM.

I think it's safe to say that my previous post was pretty off. When I first got my decant, after even testing it a few times I could not get past the similarities to Brit. They just stuck out and attacked my nose. This was really annoying to me because I just can't for the life of me get along with Brit. Well, I took a break and tried it more recently and now I can see past the similarities. While there are some obvious similarities still between Rose 31 and Brit, there are some very distinct differences that make the scents totally different. While I may never love Rose 31 as much as some of the posters in this thread, it is a quality scent and I should not have tried to make it seem like it's not. Definately worth trying.

Rich,
    Can you report on the longevity issues you have found on Rose 31?
    This seems to be a pretty standard complaint on it. I really think this fragrance may be better suited for slightly warmer temps. I am wearing it today, and even though it is quite pleasant, the sillage is less than when I wore it in wamer weather. I think it's true character will shine in the spring more than in this cold, dry weather I am wearing it in today.

Will do, my bottle gets here in a week or so.
    - Rich

Tried Rose 31 at Barneys a week or so ago, and flipped for it. They only had the 100ml which was $180, so I looked it up on the Web, and found the store. Had to have it in the 10ml as a started size so to speak. On me its a masculine pepper and rose, sharp and floral together. A perfect marriage. In the dry down, for me, the pepper goes away and the rose moves close to the skin and stays fresh. Today I put it on at 6 PM and the scent of light rose is still there at 10:30 as I write this. I do not like Hammam Bouquet by Penhalligon, but I do like this very much.

Joe

PS Sniffed the Patchouli and the Vetiver, and thought they smelled like some kind of high school science experiments. Interesting, but not meant to be worn on human skin. Better to make something in chem lab that could neutralize the sulphurous odor. Tough.

I almost ordered this last week along with a couple others from Le Labo. Sounds too good to resist now.

Sold.

It lasts a good 8 or 9 hours on me.

Le Labo Rose 31 wins Best Fragrance from Wallpaper magazine

Here is the link:
    http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents
    Le Labo Rose 31 wins Best Fragrance from Wallpaper magazine

Here is the link:
    http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/
    That's right bitches! (In my best Dave Chappell (In his best Rick James voice) voice)
    - Rich

...we definitely need another Le Labo group buy.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Just looked on their website. $45.00 for 15ml. You must be kidding

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    I'm not going to try and say it's not expensive, but do keep in mind:
    1) it's EdP
    2) it is created in small batches after orders are placed

Quote Originally Posted by radix023
    I'm not going to try and say it's not expensive, but do keep in mind:
    1) it's EdP
    2) it is created in small batches after orders are placed
    Oh, ofcourse. It must be real good.

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Nope.

The essential oils are mixed anywhere from 6 weeks ago to a year ago, then when you order a bottle, they mix the alcohol and the oil together and then ship you the bottle with your name on it. That doesn't justify the cost for me, but how good it smells does.
    - Rich

I received the bottle I ordered yesterday. My first reaction was, "Wow, this smells like sex with a touch of rose." Blends very well my natural scent and has an overtly masculine accord. I'm going to wear the color out of this one. Most definitely a five-star fragrance.

For testing longevity and sillage, I'm going to try 5-7 sprays and see how it wears today.

have you ever worn silver mountain water to work?

rose 31 seems like a reworking of SMW to me, warmer, sweeter, more floral (slightly), less green, which is interesting. There is certainly a prominent blackcurrent in there.

I was hoping for something a little more of a revelation after this rather tittilating thread first popped up!
    Last edited by supermarky; 28th February 2007 at 01:43 AM.

SMW?? Rose 31 smells like SMW? If Rose 31 smelled like SMW water to me I would have sold it the next day.

Top note : Rose Essence, Cumin

Middle note : Rose Absolute, Cedarwood, Olibanum, Vetiver

Base note : Cistus, Cetalox, Gaiac, Oud, Musk
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 28th February 2007 at 01:52 AM.

If Rose 31 smelled like Silver Mountain Water, I would not have given a nearly full bottle of SMW away. All I got from SMW was Twinnings black currant tea. Rose 31 is a beast in a rose garden. SMW and Rose 31 are quite different to me.

listed notes don't mean anything. there are similarities.

more people need to take the rose 31 / SMW challenge!
    Last edited by supermarky; 28th February 2007 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    listed notes don't mean anything. there are similarities.

more people need to take the rose 31 / SMW challenge!
    I have samples of both and they arent similar at all!

One is a cumin-ized rose, while the other is a tea-ified blackcurrant !
    -

they don't smell similar if you sniff the nozzles but on my skin at least blackcurrent comes up stronger than rose in rose 31!

I have no doubt you perceive what you smell in Rose 31, but it is your perception. Nobody else is getting your SMW comparison. I can't think of anything even remotely similar about them. Maybe it is the air out there in LA?
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 28th February 2007 at 12:37 PM.

Dependent

I see there's oud in Le Labo 31. How does it compare to Montales oud/rose combos?

fredericktoo,
    I am horrible with picking out notes. I perceive a fragrance as a sum of it's parts mostly. Hopefully someone else can chime in hear with respect to the oud in Rose 31. I will say that I own both fragrances and there is no medicinal quality at all to Rose 31. The oud in Rose 31 is pretty quiet IMHO.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 28th February 2007 at 02:45 PM.

Hmmmm. I just started getting the cumin note, so I'm gonna wait to see how much more I get before saying "What the hell is oud?"
    - Rich

Dependent

Montale uses oud in some of it's offerings.

"Both agarwood and its resin distillate/extracts are known as Oud in Arabic (literally wood) and used to describe agarwood in nations and areas of Islamic faith. Western perfumers may also use agarwood essential oil under the name "oud" or "oude"

from wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agarwood

"that's what the hell oud is"

Have you tried Montales Black Oud? Roses on steroids.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 28th February 2007 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents
    I have no doubt you perceive what you smell in Rose 31, but it is your perception. Nobody else is getting your SMW comparison. I can't think of anything even remotely similar about them. Maybe it is the air out there in LA?
    Actually today it was a bit warmer here, and I tried both of them again - maybe the oudh-rose-amber combo mixed with the spices can come off as a bit blackcurrant smelling in hot weather. Still, they arent that similar.
    -

This evening, I applied Rose 31 on my right hand and Montale Black Aoud on the left. Rose 31 comes across as more spicy earthy and musky as compared to Black Aoud. The oud in the Montale seems to be more evident than in Rose 31.

I'll test it againt Aoud Queen Rose tomorrow.

after i get over my cold or flu or whatever I will try it some more.

cause I am sick as a dog now

Okay, okay, I give....uncle!

Ordered Rose 31.
    Quote Originally Posted by asleep
    Okay, okay, I give....uncle!

Ordered Rose 31.
    And it is one of the best blind buys I've stumbled onto!!!
    Last edited by asleep; 8th March 2007 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I just finished reading Chandler Burr's review of Le Labo Rose 31 in the NY Times Syle Magazine Spring Beauty 2007 Issue. Curiously, he states ".....men have forgotten what a good hint of armpit from a hot young woman can do for a guy. One brilliant perfume will remind you." This led me to believe this fragrance is more suited for women than men. But of course, the unisex factor is always argumentative. Burr also reviewed Agent Provocateur and Diptyque L'Autre in the same article. Le Labo's website states this fragrance was actually created specifically for men: "Roses for men! The perfume's aim is clear: to transform the famous Grasse Rose, a symbol of voluptuouness and unqualified femininity in perfume, into an assertively virile fragrance for men..."

I own Rose Poivree by The Different Company, which I absolutely love. I'm immediately attracted to anything with cistus and cumin in it. I love that animalic "sweaty" smell, like MKK. Is this fragrance as strong as these two: Rose Poivree and MKK? I also adore Rose, but the Burberry Brit reference previously mentioned kinda worries me. I'm on the verge of plopping down the $115 bucks for a 1.7 oz but I suppose I need a little reassurance.......

BTW...I really LOVE Burr's reviews in the NYT Style Magazine. If you haven't read them you should. So clever and funny, he should put out of book of all his reviews.

I just got my 15ml bottle a couple of days ago. I thought it would be better to get the sample pack instead but I already tried Patchouli 24 and the rest of their line didn't sound like anything to my taste. So I bought the 15ml bottle of Rose 31 to get a good long testing.

I decided to try it blind considering I love rose scents...my favs being Aoud Rose Petals, Black Aoud and VDR.

As soon as I received my bottle, I just put on one spray to the wrist to get a feel for it. I thought it was okay...more feminine then masculine IMO. The opening was really interesting....it reminded me of a more tamed Alexander Mcqueen Kingdom...and maybe even leaning a little towards CDG white with the middle notes. A sweet dirty rose...but the drydown was the boring...there was only 2 or 3 notes that really stood out...very linear...I found the opening to be more exciting. I even think I got a little vetiver...if it even exists in Rose 31.

I just remembered about Rose 31 right now so I went to retest it thought I just threw the bottle somewhere in my bedroom, and now I don't even know where it is....I'll have to find it to retest. I thought it was okay at most for now..I'll actually have to wear this one soon. As for longevity, that one spray to my wrist at least lasted a good 6+ hours.

Wink Re: Rose 31 - Le Labo, What is going on here?

Quote Originally Posted by zestyfresh View Post
    I just finished reading Chandler Burr's review of Le Labo Rose 31 in the NY Times Syle Magazine Spring Beauty 2007 Issue. Curiously, he states ".....men have forgotten what a good hint of armpit from a hot young woman can do for a guy. One brilliant perfume will remind you." .
    Just curious to know how Chandler Burr would know anything about, " a good hint of armpit from a hot young woman" ? I find his writing to be both hypocritical and pandering. Le Labo was designed with a male user in mind.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 25th April 2007 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Just curious to know how Chandler Burr would know anything about, " a good hint of armpit from a hot young woman" ? I find his writing to be both hypocritical and pandering. Le Labo was designed with a male user in mind.
    Your not the only one.

I'm of the opinion that he is a total moron!

Dependent

Le Labo only comes in 15 ml bottles? hell I can get that myself. :::message to decanter:::::

is this only available in NYC? is it any more specific than that? Shrove Tuesday, time of day?

I find that anyone who appreciates a womans armpit is quite mature. How hot she is is subjective but appreciation of the sculpting of muscle, ligaments, tendons and skin in a female armpit..... frisson.

Le Labo Rose 31 is quite a pleasant experience. The rose is tempered sufficiently with Vetiver heart notes which evolve into a refreshing combination of oak moss, vetiver, rose and a touch of spice. I don't get even a hint of mass market sweet, black, fresh, blue, aqua, sport etc. etc.

The deepest base notes are reminiscent of BdP while holding firmly to the note for which it is named. A confident man can comfortably wear Rose 31 as I proudly often do.

Thank you Jock_with_sence () for informing us of this treasure.
    Last edited by CuyahogaJoe; 25th April 2007 at 08:26 AM.

Question Re: Rose 31 - Le Labo, What is going on here?

Le Labo Rose 31 has that special thing. Its like a mojo or something. It is followed around by this special presence. I have the fragrance Rose 31 and I have noticed its power too! It is not a rose scent, but rose is probably the most dominant note of a whole group of convergent parts that together create a harmonic resonance - tol create its own persona that is quite different from its notes. It works on you. Its sort of like good jazz - when it works it's very special. Rose 31 has a mojo of sorts.

There are other fragrances that have this transcendant quality too. What are they? I sure have not tried them all but that would be a good Discussion question. A few others that have this special presence that goes beyond the sum of its parts are: CdG Avignon, Creed Erolfa, and Mark Birley and Joseph Statkus.

What else?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    There are other fragrances that have this transcendant quality too. What are they? I sure have not tried them all but that would be a good Discussion question. A few others that have this special presence that goes beyond the sum of its parts are: CdG Avignon, Creed Erolfa, and Mark Birley and Joseph Statkus.

What else?
    This should be in another thread, but I think 3rd Man and l'Homme Sage share this quality.