Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Rose 31 - Le Labo, What is going on here?

listed notes don't mean anything. there are similarities.

more people need to take the rose 31 / SMW challenge!
    Last edited by supermarky; 28th February 2007 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    listed notes don't mean anything. there are similarities.

more people need to take the rose 31 / SMW challenge!
    I have samples of both and they arent similar at all!

One is a cumin-ized rose, while the other is a tea-ified blackcurrant !
    -

they don't smell similar if you sniff the nozzles but on my skin at least blackcurrent comes up stronger than rose in rose 31!

I have no doubt you perceive what you smell in Rose 31, but it is your perception. Nobody else is getting your SMW comparison. I can't think of anything even remotely similar about them. Maybe it is the air out there in LA?
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 28th February 2007 at 11:37 AM.

Basenotes Plus

I see there's oud in Le Labo 31. How does it compare to Montales oud/rose combos?

fredericktoo,
    I am horrible with picking out notes. I perceive a fragrance as a sum of it's parts mostly. Hopefully someone else can chime in hear with respect to the oud in Rose 31. I will say that I own both fragrances and there is no medicinal quality at all to Rose 31. The oud in Rose 31 is pretty quiet IMHO.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 28th February 2007 at 01:45 PM.

Hmmmm. I just started getting the cumin note, so I'm gonna wait to see how much more I get before saying "What the hell is oud?"
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Basenotes Plus

Montale uses oud in some of it's offerings.

"Both agarwood and its resin distillate/extracts are known as Oud in Arabic (literally wood) and used to describe agarwood in nations and areas of Islamic faith. Western perfumers may also use agarwood essential oil under the name "oud" or "oude"

from wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agarwood

"that's what the hell oud is"

Have you tried Montales Black Oud? Roses on steroids.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 28th February 2007 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents
    I have no doubt you perceive what you smell in Rose 31, but it is your perception. Nobody else is getting your SMW comparison. I can't think of anything even remotely similar about them. Maybe it is the air out there in LA?
    Actually today it was a bit warmer here, and I tried both of them again - maybe the oudh-rose-amber combo mixed with the spices can come off as a bit blackcurrant smelling in hot weather. Still, they arent that similar.
    -

This evening, I applied Rose 31 on my right hand and Montale Black Aoud on the left. Rose 31 comes across as more spicy earthy and musky as compared to Black Aoud. The oud in the Montale seems to be more evident than in Rose 31.

I'll test it againt Aoud Queen Rose tomorrow.

after i get over my cold or flu or whatever I will try it some more.

cause I am sick as a dog now

Okay, okay, I give....uncle!

Ordered Rose 31.
    --------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by asleep
    Okay, okay, I give....uncle!

Ordered Rose 31.
    And it is one of the best blind buys I've stumbled onto!!!
    Last edited by asleep; 8th March 2007 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I just finished reading Chandler Burr's review of Le Labo Rose 31 in the NY Times Syle Magazine Spring Beauty 2007 Issue. Curiously, he states ".....men have forgotten what a good hint of armpit from a hot young woman can do for a guy. One brilliant perfume will remind you." This led me to believe this fragrance is more suited for women than men. But of course, the unisex factor is always argumentative. Burr also reviewed Agent Provocateur and Diptyque L'Autre in the same article. Le Labo's website states this fragrance was actually created specifically for men: "Roses for men! The perfume's aim is clear: to transform the famous Grasse Rose, a symbol of voluptuouness and unqualified femininity in perfume, into an assertively virile fragrance for men..."

I own Rose Poivree by The Different Company, which I absolutely love. I'm immediately attracted to anything with cistus and cumin in it. I love that animalic "sweaty" smell, like MKK. Is this fragrance as strong as these two: Rose Poivree and MKK? I also adore Rose, but the Burberry Brit reference previously mentioned kinda worries me. I'm on the verge of plopping down the $115 bucks for a 1.7 oz but I suppose I need a little reassurance.......

BTW...I really LOVE Burr's reviews in the NYT Style Magazine. If you haven't read them you should. So clever and funny, he should put out of book of all his reviews.

I just got my 15ml bottle a couple of days ago. I thought it would be better to get the sample pack instead but I already tried Patchouli 24 and the rest of their line didn't sound like anything to my taste. So I bought the 15ml bottle of Rose 31 to get a good long testing.

I decided to try it blind considering I love rose scents...my favs being Aoud Rose Petals, Black Aoud and VDR.

As soon as I received my bottle, I just put on one spray to the wrist to get a feel for it. I thought it was okay...more feminine then masculine IMO. The opening was really interesting....it reminded me of a more tamed Alexander Mcqueen Kingdom...and maybe even leaning a little towards CDG white with the middle notes. A sweet dirty rose...but the drydown was the boring...there was only 2 or 3 notes that really stood out...very linear...I found the opening to be more exciting. I even think I got a little vetiver...if it even exists in Rose 31.

I just remembered about Rose 31 right now so I went to retest it thought I just threw the bottle somewhere in my bedroom, and now I don't even know where it is....I'll have to find it to retest. I thought it was okay at most for now..I'll actually have to wear this one soon. As for longevity, that one spray to my wrist at least lasted a good 6+ hours.

Wink Re: Rose 31 - Le Labo, What is going on here?

Quote Originally Posted by zestyfresh View Post
    I just finished reading Chandler Burr's review of Le Labo Rose 31 in the NY Times Syle Magazine Spring Beauty 2007 Issue. Curiously, he states ".....men have forgotten what a good hint of armpit from a hot young woman can do for a guy. One brilliant perfume will remind you." .
    Just curious to know how Chandler Burr would know anything about, " a good hint of armpit from a hot young woman" ? I find his writing to be both hypocritical and pandering. Le Labo was designed with a male user in mind.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 25th April 2007 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Just curious to know how Chandler Burr would know anything about, " a good hint of armpit from a hot young woman" ? I find his writing to be both hypocritical and pandering. Le Labo was designed with a male user in mind.
    Your not the only one.

I'm of the opinion that he is a total moron!

Basenotes Plus

Le Labo only comes in 15 ml bottles? hell I can get that myself. :::message to decanter:::::

is this only available in NYC? is it any more specific than that? Shrove Tuesday, time of day?

I find that anyone who appreciates a womans armpit is quite mature. How hot she is is subjective but appreciation of the sculpting of muscle, ligaments, tendons and skin in a female armpit..... frisson.

Le Labo Rose 31 is quite a pleasant experience. The rose is tempered sufficiently with Vetiver heart notes which evolve into a refreshing combination of oak moss, vetiver, rose and a touch of spice. I don't get even a hint of mass market sweet, black, fresh, blue, aqua, sport etc. etc.

The deepest base notes are reminiscent of BdP while holding firmly to the note for which it is named. A confident man can comfortably wear Rose 31 as I proudly often do.

Thank you Jock_with_sence () for informing us of this treasure.
    Last edited by CuyahogaJoe; 25th April 2007 at 07:26 AM.

Question Re: Rose 31 - Le Labo, What is going on here?

Le Labo Rose 31 has that special thing. Its like a mojo or something. It is followed around by this special presence. I have the fragrance Rose 31 and I have noticed its power too! It is not a rose scent, but rose is probably the most dominant note of a whole group of convergent parts that together create a harmonic resonance - tol create its own persona that is quite different from its notes. It works on you. Its sort of like good jazz - when it works it's very special. Rose 31 has a mojo of sorts.

There are other fragrances that have this transcendant quality too. What are they? I sure have not tried them all but that would be a good Discussion question. A few others that have this special presence that goes beyond the sum of its parts are: CdG Avignon, Creed Erolfa, and Mark Birley and Joseph Statkus.

What else?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    There are other fragrances that have this transcendant quality too. What are they? I sure have not tried them all but that would be a good Discussion question. A few others that have this special presence that goes beyond the sum of its parts are: CdG Avignon, Creed Erolfa, and Mark Birley and Joseph Statkus.

What else?
    This should be in another thread, but I think 3rd Man and l'Homme Sage share this quality.