Code of Conduct
    DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Perfume Extract vs EDP, EDT, EDC Info

The following is from a Wikipedia article:

" Concentration levels:

Perfume oil is necessarily diluted with a solvent because undiluted oils (natural or synthetic) contain high concentrations of volatile components that will likely result in allergic reactions and possibly injury when applied directly to skin or clothing.

By far the most common solvent for perfume oil dilution is ethanol or a mixture of ethanol and water. Dilutions of the perfume oil can also be done using solvents such as jojoba, fractionated coconut oil or wax. The concentration by percent/volume of perfume oil is as follows:

Perfume extract: 20%-40% aromatic compounds
    Eau de parfum: 10-30% aromatic compounds
    Eau de toilette: 5-20% aromatic compounds
    Eau de cologne: 2-5% aromatic compounds

As the percentage of aromatic compounds decreases, so does the intensity and longevity of the scent created. Different perfumeries or perfume houses assign different amounts of oils to each of their perfumes and as such, although the oil concentration of a perfume in eau de parfum (EDP) dilution will necessarily be higher than the same perfume in eau de toilette (EDT) form within the same range, the actual amounts can vary between perfum houses such that an EDT from one house may be stronger than an EDP from another.

Furthermore, some fragrances with the same product name but having a different concentration name may not only differ in their dilutions, but actually use different perfume oil mixtures altogether. For instance, in order to make the EDT version of a fragrance brighter and fresher than its EDP, the EDT oil may be "tweaked" to contain slightly more top notes or less base notes. In some cases, words such as "extrême" or "concentrée" appended to frangrance names might indicate completely different frangrances that relates only because of a similar perfume accord. An instance to this would be Chanel‘s Pour Monsieur and Pour Monsieur Concentrée".

Anyone want to add to or challenge this for specific scents/houses?
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Default Re: Perfume Extract vs EDP, EDT, EDC Info

Thank you so much for the explanation! Once read, it does seem very logical, but being new to the world of perfumes (at least on this deep a level) I wasn't aware of this yet. Being new, I won't be able to challange or add to this subject. However, I do have a question, and the answer might add something to the subject. Why do some perfumes have both an EDP and an EDT version, whereas of some perfumes only one or the other seems to be sold. For example, Dior's Hypnotic Poison (only EDT) vs. Hypnotic Poison Elixir (only EDP) vs. Poison original (both EDT and EDP).

It's all about marketing Flinterdun

That concentration chart is not a rule though, perfumers do just what they want. Many juices (especially men fragrances) are concentrated like EDPs, yet they are sold as EDTs. Several ladies EDPs are concentrated like Extraits too.

Quote Originally Posted by Le critique de parfum View Post

That concentration chart is not a rule though, perfumers do just what they want. Many juices (especially men fragrances) are concentrated like EDPs, yet they are sold as EDTs. Several ladies EDPs are concentrated like Extraits too.
    I sure would appreciate it if you could enlighten us all with some specific examples of both men's and women's fragrances that confirm your claims.

scentemental

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flinterdun
    Why do some perfumes have both an EDP and an EDT version, whereas of some perfumes only one or the other seems to be sold. For example, Dior's Hypnotic Poison (only EDT) vs. Hypnotic Poison Elixir (only EDP) vs. Poison original (both EDT and EDP).
    It's not solely marketing - as the last paragraph in the wiki article refers to, houses will use the different concentrations to present different versions of a fragrance. I can't speak about the Poisons (though I'd love to try the EdPs!), but Hermes, for example, changes the formulas in their different concentrations to highlight different aspects of the fragrance. Eau de Merveilles (EdT) has different notes than the Elixir (EdP) and parfum versions. The three are similar thematically but with different notes highlighted in each version. With Hypnotic Poison I suspect the change in name could also imply change in formula (as opposed to not changing the name of Poison implies no change in formula). There are instances where the EdP or parfum is simply be a more concentrated version of an existing fragrance. I'll admit this is just conjecture...

As for each house deciding for itself what to name each concentration, it makes sense and I'm curious to hear what 'le Critiques' examples are as well... I'm personally aware of one house that does its own thing as far as naming and concentrations - Sonoma Scent Studio. A number of their 'EdPs' are over 20% concentration. I'm not aware of any other houses specifically but I suspect the strength of many Ava Luxe EdPs to be higher than most other houses' EdPs just based on their skin-feel and longevity. I may be totally wrong, though.

I'd get my ass sued off, which I don't want.

I don't have many exemples anyway, this comes from a perfumer, you'll have to trust me.

Some ingredients need to be more concentrated than others to to achieve desired result.

I'd get my ass sued off, which I don't want.

I don't have many exemples anyway, this comes from a perfumer, you'll have to trust me.

Some ingredients need to be more concentrated than others to to achieve desired result.
    I'll trust your claims when you can back up them up with facts. That's a real cop out.

So you're not an industry sleeper, as you claim in another thread, yet you are privy to such sensitive industry information about the concentration levels of fragrances that if you divulged them here on Basenotes, you would be sued, such mystery!

Can you elaborate on "Some ingredients need to be more concentrated than others to to achieve desired result"? You've lost me with that one. I'd really like you to explain your understanding of how concentration in fragrances works. At least that way, we'll be on topic.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 1st May 2009 at 06:05 PM.

Banned

I'm pretty sure you can't be sued for an anonymous post on a message board (unless you are the only person in the entire world who knows a piece of information, thus by revealing the information not a single other person could have released it). I'm a marketing consultant and deal with "gag-rule" contracts with most of my clients (keeping employees from revealing company secrets such as upcoming marketing campaigns). The fear is that they will put this stuff on the internet specifically because there is no legal recourse. So anyway.... now that threat of lawsuits is gone I'd love to hear the answer to Scentemental's question.....

Why so acrimonious Scentemental? Does it sound so outrageous? If we all agree that perfumery is an art, it's certainly not a science (regarding concentration levels).

I'm sharing tidbits and gossip, take it for what it is... and chill out

Why so acrimonious Scentemental? Does it sound so outrageous? If we all agree that perfumery is an art, it's certainly not a science (regarding concentration levels).

Another cop out. That's funny, I thought you were sharing knowledge. I guess not.

Since you "know" perfumers, then you should know that while perfumery is art on one level, on another level, it is also certainly a science, particularly regarding concentration levels and the technical and scientific knowledge necessary for creating an edp or extrait as opposed to an EDT.

What follows is a generalized attempt to explain why different formulations of a particular fragrance are more than just about strength. It's for the benefit of those interested in more than tidbits and gossip.

The confusion and perplexity about formulations arises out of the common misapprehension that stronger--in terms of concentration of perfume oils, which EDPs and parfums certainly are--means greater sillage and intensity. It doesn't always; in fact, more often than not it means less diffusivity and sillage. The reason is EDTs are specifically engineered with volatile, hence highly diffusive perfume oils and aromachemicals, usually top notes and certain middle notes, to give the most immediate, diffusive aromatic effect with significant sillage. EDPs, by their very nature, concentrate middle note and base note perfume oils at a higher percentage, so they tend to have less of those volatile powerful sillage producing top notes and middle notes. It's in the molecular nature of certain top notes and certain middle notes to have high diffusivity and a certain aromatic immediacy--lighter molecules fly off the skin immediately into the air and are perceived immediately and at great distances. Think of citrus oils. Of course, the downside to these elements is that they don't last long.

EDPs and parfums tend to focus more on the certain middle notes and basenotes which are less volatile and hence less immediately diffusive. Unlike the highly diffusive sillage producing essentials oils and aromachemicals found in EDTs, these concentrated middle and basenotes in EDPs and parfums have a slow, not immediately perceptible, but steady, long-term, low diffusive evolution and evaporation.

With parfum, it's almost entirely about the basenotes, with little to no emphasis on the volatile and diffusive top notes and less so on the middle notes. That's why with parfum, and to a lesser extent, EDPs, one moves immediately into the heart of the fragrance and gets a slow steady burn with little sillage and diffusivity but with incredible persistence thanks to the concentration of some of the more tenacious middle notes and the far more tenacious basenote ingredients.

You might ask, why then don't perfumers concentrate those powerfully diffusive top and middle notes when they concentrate the less diffusive and but highly persistent middle notes and base notes in EDPs and parfums? They could do that if it were that easy, but it's not. When you concentrate the percentage of perfume oils, many of those highly diffusive top and middle notes if concentrated in the same manner would simply overwhelm the character of the fragrance. Because of the nature of certain powerfully diffusive essential oils and aromachemicals, increasing their concentration can have an asymmetrical effect on the fragrance composition putting it completely out of balance. In others words, for some odorants--both natural and synthetic--the relationship between concentration and odor insensity is not a matter of a one-to-one correspondence, and a slight increase in concentration can have a disproportionate effect in term of odor insensity. It’s never a matter of doubling formula and adding it to less alcohol. This also explains why in many cases EDPs--given the nature of the chemistry involved in producing certain fragrances at a higher concentration of perfume oils--will smell somewhat to significantly different from the EDTs as will the parfum version; character altering adjustments and changes have to be made to ensure a balanced composition at higher concentrations. Also, sometimes, perfumers decided to make virtue out of necessity and give the EDP or the parfum a completely different inflection. Of course, there will always be some overlap and some similarities, but EDPs and parfums can and usual do differ in many ways and diffusivity, sillage, and perceived strength are some of those ways.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 1st May 2009 at 06:09 PM.

Some of us think there's a fair bit of science involved as well.

Gossip? So I take it that you don't know much. Or if you do, many here including me would be interested in learning more from you. We do occasionally go into a fair amount of detail.
    -

Thanks. scentemental. for a nice concise snapshot there. I didn't know this - was beginning to get to it from a few bits of reading - the EDT being a bit more 'immediate' but this is helpful. Gracias.

Zztopp: it's certainly not a science (regarding concentration levels).

Scentemental, thanks for sharing what you think are the differences between EDTs and EDPs.

It certainly doesn't rule out the possibility of EDPs sold as EDTs though.

Banned

I'm still not sure I understand why 'The perfume critic' won't share his knowledge - unless he is the only person with that knowledge (like the formula to Coca Cola) then it's just gossip and there are no consequences to sharing it.

From what I can tell the frustration is with dropping a piece of information (houses represent EdT as EdPs or vice versa) without clarification. It's the refusal to clarify that makes the initial information questionable. As I revealed before, I know unquestionably for a fact that many SSS fragrances are over 20% concentration. I'm sure SSS isn't going to spend tens of thousands of dollars suing me.

Le Critique - Why is it hard to shed a little light on what you claim to know (and please don't say lawsuits because that's just silly)? From what I've read so far in this forum, people are intelligent and aren't going to just take a comment at face value.

AromiErotici

How is it you know that many masculine frags are concentrated like EDP's, yet are marketed as EDT's? Are you or are you not in the business?

I'm just a perfume blogger who stopped believing everything I hear at my local perfume shop.

Concentrations, ingredients, exclusivity, packaging or prices don't mean much. People using their noses should know this by now.

Hmm. Now I wonder if my preference for EDP and Parfum Extrait has something to do with my preference for heavier, oriental types of fragrance with strong base notes. Generally I'm not a big fan of citrus.

We need to take a look at the chart again

A EDT can be 15% compound and a EDP can be 11%. All depends on the perfumer.

Gentlemen, call me old fashioned, but I have a lot of confidence in what a European professional has to say, particularly if he is French talking about French perfumery and willing to release little extras from inside the French industry. Wait for what you get, don't even try to corner anybody in. Nobody needs to prove anything here! About twelve months ago, Basenoters have driven another professional away, and some rejoiced. But this was not to the benefit of the rest of us! I could continue. There were similar occurrences further back in BN history, but this should suffice.

I know that some find it harder than others to give up ideas they had believed in, but the Beckmessers of this world have only taught us notes and chords. Too often they forget that the lark couldn't care less, will rise above our heads, and sing its melody. Listening in silence can be quite beneficial...

pace vobiscum

ps
    : If you don't trust our new member, some of you could go and look up what PTG says. Also Turin can err, of course, but it would be on a different level.

Last edited by narcus; 2nd May 2009 at 02:25 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Scentemental, as always your detailed exposition is a pleasure to read.

I am with you on that, monsieur narcus
    Last edited by Amit; 2nd May 2009 at 06:46 AM.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Thanks for the support guys!

I'm not a professional though, I got this prestigious award for my blog. (Very surprising since I'm the only blogger in France who literally destroys some fragrances).

I didn't register to Basenotes to argue with anyone, to brag, or for a battle of egos. I hope we can all get along.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Wait for what you get, don't even try to corner anybody in. Nobody needs to prove anything here!
    Wait for what? For the french blog to be translated into English? Le Critique has already stated that he can't discuss anything remotely scientific, proprietary, interesting or in sufficient detail because le french lawyers will sue his derriere off. I believe JC Ellenas' lawyers are keeping a close eye on every word we type here ..
    -

I didn't register to Basenotes to argue with anyone, to brag, or for a battle of egos. I hope we can all get along.
    I hear you my friend, unfortunately some people and their pets are on basenotes to do just that.

I'm not a professional though, I got this prestigious award for my blog. (Very surprising since I'm the only blogger in France who literally destroys some fragrances).
    Since I don't speak one word of French ( I can type a few, but I have no doubt I murder the pronunciation of many of my favorite frags ), I'd be interested in hearing from Le Critique and other French speakers if the French fragrance world is more "positive" and less critical about fragrances in general. French blogs probably have a wider influence in France than the Anglophone ones, and would thus be more influential on perfume industry there...

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Thanks. scentemental. for a nice concise snapshot there. I didn't know this - was beginning to get to it from a few bits of reading - the EDT being a bit more 'immediate' but this is helpful. Gracias.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Scentemental, as always your detailed exposition is a pleasure to read.
    Thanks mr. reasonable and thanks Dimitri.

Quote Originally Posted by rinosaur View Post
    We need to take a look at the chart again

A EDT can be 15% compound and a EDP can be 11%. All depends on the perfumer.
    It's a Wikipedia article. I don't think anyone took this as gospel, and I beg to differ, it doesn't depend on the perfumer. First, the percentage of perfume oils in a fragrance and the relationship between concentration, odor intensity, persistence, sillage, all depend on the nature of the particular odorants used in formulation and the balance between them. Second, and separately, the designation as to whether it is an EDP or an EDT depends on the marketing department of the company releasing the fragrance. These are relative, conventional descriptions. I would have thought that was understood. This is very clear if one considers the designation of "Cologne" for men's fragrances. Calling a fragrance a "Cologne" is a marketing decision, a way of positioning one's product. The concentration of fragrance oils in the case of a "Cologne" designation can vary widely, anywhere from EDC strength to EDP strength. A good example is Dior's Eau Noire, which could easily pass for and EDP. Of course, Cologne is not to be confused with Eau de Cologne, which is a specific description of the relative concentration of perfume oils in relation to EDTs, EDPs, and extrait. Cologne implies no such relative concentration, and, therefore, its concentration can vary widely. Incidentally, all this I managed to figure out without the help of French industry insiders. Thanks for your post Narcus, but all this knowledge is not as abstruse as you make it out to be.
    It's readily available with a little careful and diligent reading. A case in point: When YSL first released Opium EDT in 1977, the people at YSL knew that if it was to succeed, it had to succeed in the American market first and foremost, a place in which many EDTs were being released at much higher strengths than the traditional 8 to 10% found in European formulations.(This has been a well known fact for decades.) This trend, towards higher concentrations, was begun and consolidated by Estée Lauder and her fragrances, all of which are considerably higher in concentration relative to other fragrances on the market. As a result of the need to compete with the higher formulations of American brands, Opium EDT was developed and released at about 19% perfume oil (Michael Edwards, Perfume Legends: French Feminine Fragrances (1996). That's almost twice the regular strength of traditional EDTs and clearly at the top, top end of even most of today's EDP formulations. Most of the creative energy went into developing the EDT version; an EDP version was developed later (under the direction of Tom Ford, I believe), but before that (sometime in the early 1990s) YSL developed Opium Secret de Parfum EDP, which is at least parfum strength.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 4th May 2009 at 03:55 AM.

how come we suddenly reply to a thread without any posts from 3 years ago? haha
    unico grande amore.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Wüst View Post

.my incentive checks finally cleared?

Opinions as to relative percentage of perfume oil(s) in fragrances certainly do vary. The below is from a NY blogger site--I am not sure where or how the author came up with the numbers but she does allude to having consulted another blog site (www.uncommontouch.com.au) and there you can find, under 'Perfume Facts', is another relative strength list very similar to this list

"Fragrances come in different concentration levels. In order of strength are:

Perfume oil or pure perfume (15-30% perfume oil in an oil base),

Parfum (perfume or extrait - 15-25% perfume oil in alcohol base),

Eau de Parfum or EDP (8-15% perfume oil),

Eau de Toilette or EDT (4-10% perfume oil),

Eau de Cologne or EDC (2-5% perfume oil)

and finally After Shave and Eau Fraiche (perfume mist / splash - 3% or less perfume oil)."
    Last edited by kbe; 2nd May 2009 at 01:40 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Wait for what? ...
    Never try to push Fortuna!
    A German proverb says it in another way: "Patience will reward you with roses". There have been fourteen inspiring, informative threads since Le critique de parfum joined Basenotes. It is quite possible that we must not wait too long before another one will be posted. And as the earlier topics it might also step beyond the usual pattern.
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd May 2009 at 01:35 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

There have been fourteen inspiring, informative threads since Le critique de parfum joined Basenotes.
    Since you've taken the time to count them Narcus, would you care to link them?

This reminds of how academic conferences in France are always remembered for the good wine and food, and those in England for the scholarly controversies. I'm generalizing, of course, but from empirical experience

I can see a logic in firms marketing high concentration EdPs as EdTs or Colognes to men, because masculinity constructions, esp. in the US, make "perfume" a tabu for jocks, and scentemental has pointed out the details. But why would anybody market an Extrait as an Eau de Parfum, when the cachet and potential markt value of the former are so very much higher? See e.g. nasomatto, who are earning themselves a "golden nose," as we say in German, by excessively concentrating rather conventional ingredients and then charging out-of-this-world prices.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Since you've taken the time to count them Narcus, would you care to link them?
    Not even silly attacks do I count! I read them, that's why I knew...
    As several of you have already posted there I don't see a need to link them, but...

For dummies
    : click search | click advanced search | enter user name | click find threads started by user in the drop-down field| click search now (at bottom)

Result: ---- (a link only works for a limited period of time, sorry. Temporary search results are volatile.
    You have to rebuild search results as per instructions above )
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd May 2009 at 05:28 PM.

Such glowing praise Narcus! I'm sure LCdP is flattered at having his very own glee-club.

Thanks also for the sound tutorial on using the search function. While you're there next time, try searching for a sense of humour. It appears you've might have lost it somewhere.

Silly attacks? Perhaps some of our previous correspondence has predisposed you to reading my messages with a specific tone. Jeez, lighten up big fella!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 2nd May 2009 at 02:28 PM.

Narcus, your link didn't work for me.

Try this one: Threads started by Le critique de parfum
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 2nd May 2009 at 03:59 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Just for anyone interested:

http://community.basenotes.net/searc...earchid=983458

Come on, let's put the egos to one side and get the most out of this discussion...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    But why would anybody market an Extrait as an Eau de Parfum, when the cachet and potential markt value of the former are so very much higher?
    I know that the perfumer for SSS does exactly this.... The reason is that the perfumer wants her perfumes to last a long time and have a certain sillage, but doesn't call them 'extraits' because of the general notion that extraits are to be dabbed in moderation, not sprayed. Her fragrances are unisex, and calling them extraits would probably turn some guys off...plus I think there is a tad of snobbery to calling something an 'extrait' that she wants to avoid. If you've never tried them, check out Sonoma's Ambre Noir, Tabac Aurea, or Sienna Musk and you'll see what I mean in terms of sillage and longevity.

Sorry, TwoRoads! Link repaired and tested. But now, half an hour later, again it doesn't work. This probably has to do with memory, and search results being of a temporary nature. Trebor's still works, but yours does not (here).
    Below is a copy - just to be sure.
    And forgive me, everybody, being so far off topic at this point !
    (Thanks, Dimitri, I would have felt so bored today without your little game!)

LE CRITIQUE DE PARFUM :

☞ Miel de Bois in a bell jar ☜
    Overanalyze much?
    ☆ Vintage Guerlain ☆
    Best fragrance to give as a present?
    Biggest disappointment of 2009 so far? ☹☹☹
    ( Brands that get better and better ↑
    Brands that go downhill ↓
    Lacoste Challenge
    Lorenzo Villoresi Musk Oil
    Nice ad from 1896
    Pictures from the Fragonard factory
    The Goodbye thread
    What was your last present?
    Wish I could smell all these... ♡
    Last edited by narcus; 8th May 2009 at 06:30 AM.

Sorry, TwoRoads! Link repaired and tetsted. But now, half an hour later, again it doesn't work. This probably has to do with memory, and search results being of a temporary nature. Trebor's still works, but yours does not (here).
    Below is a copy - just to be sure.
    And forgive me, everybody, being so far off topic at this point !
    (Thanks, Dimitri, I would have felt so bored today without your little game!)

LE CRITIQUE DE PARFUM :

☞ Miel de Bois in a bell jar ☜
    Overanalyze much?
    ☆ Vintage Guerlain ☆
    Best fragrance to give as a present?
    Biggest disappointment of 2009 so far? ☹☹☹
    ( Brands that get better and better ↑
    Brands that go downhill ↓
    Lacoste Challenge
    Lorenzo Villoresi Musk Oil
    Nice ad from 1896
    Pictures from the Fragonard factory
    The Goodbye thread
    What was your last present?
    Wish I could smell all these... ♡
    I am not trying to pass judgment or anything, and Le Critique has been an interactive member so far (plus this is way off topic) but if I didn't know he was a seasoned blogger most of those threads would have led me to believe that he was an enthusiastic newbie..
    -

Sorry, TwoRoads! Link repaired and tetsted. But now, half an hour later, again it doesn't work. This probably has to do with memory, and search results being of a temporary nature. Trebor's still works, but yours does not (here).
    Trebor's doesn't work anymore either.

Haven't encountered this type of problem on Basenotes before.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

ON TOPIC: I think Scentimental concisely made distinctions between the concentrations and provided information that has added value to this discussion.

LESS ON TOPIC:
    No games, Narcus... I won't swallow your suggestion that one has to be deemed a French/European professional in order to be taken seriously, particularly in light of the fact LCdP's contribution to this thread did nothing but dodge the topic at hand, and make allusions that he has a direct batphone, linking him with industry bigwigs. And all this secret-handshake malarkey on a board that encourages the free exchange of information.

I cant fault LCdP for his enthusiastic contribution. Though, one's measure of what is informative and inspiring about all 14 of these threads is open to individual interpretation. Credit where its due, of course, but spare me the fanfare.

The site has a variety of members and a variety of personalities. That's part of the joy for me, and another joy comes when it's clear members can moderate themselves on a thread and don't need fussy moderators.

One more thought that is a pleasure about the forums: we each get to "consider the source" when we read a post. Some of us like certain information in a certain presentation and it makes sense to ask for it. Makes sense too when it's just not there.

In truth I had fun reading this thread. My thoughts about it were better in my brain than they are in my above two paragraphs.

I hope you're all well,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Dimitri, I linked you as you had asked me to do.
    It would have been good manners to thank me for that.
    But I m not surprised that you didn't.
    Next time you have a personal problem, send me a private message.
    I'll try my best to answer it politely.
    Last edited by narcus; 3rd May 2009 at 05:30 AM. Reason: add emphasis

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Wüst View Post
    Because we found that text file we usually use for copy/paste operations

I've been nothing but polite Narcus. Simply because I've taken exception to some of your insights, does not mean we have to immediately 'take it to PM'.

I did not thank you because the link you posted was broken, and TwoRoads posted the link that I saw instead.

Besides, if you had not managed to interpret my tongue-in-cheek request for links as being light-hearted and in wonderment at you actually having taken the time to count another user's threads, then that's on you.

But I agree, no point in continuing this discussion here. Apologies to the room for the topic derailment.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 2nd May 2009 at 06:06 PM.