Code of Conduct

Default kinda wish I was Catholic

I made a trip to the mall and there was a man selling wooden carvings from Holy Land olive wood. BUT, he also asked me if I liked rosewood, and showed me a rosary with the beads carved of rosewood. Man, it smelled good. He didn't have one other thing carved of rosewood. Does anyone have anything carved of this wood? I'm wondering how long the wood would retain that smell. Also, any actual Catholics please answer, is it offensive to buy a rosary and keep it in a sock/panty drawer as a sachet? Unless someone reassures me, I don't think I can do it!

Default Re: kinda wish I was Catholic

It's not offensive to have prayer beads, they are items, no more, no less. They are used in "Chaplets" (Small devotionals to patron saints) as something holy to hold on to while you are repeating your prayers. Buy a set, I'm sure the man that carves them will be appreciative.
    - Rich

As a graduate of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Grammar School, Holy Spirit School, Holy Ghost School, and Paramus Catholic Girls Regional High School, you have my blessing, my child.
    Go in peace.

but, seriously, I am no longer Catholic, but I do still carry my childhood rosary with me at times for nostalgia's sake, I believe we ourselves give things meaning.
    It sounds like you are attracted to these rosaries because of their beauty. Appreciating the beauty of something is in and of itself respectful, imo.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 13th December 2006 at 11:42 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I guess if you keep it in a sachet bag, then it won't really be offensive IMO b/c its being kept there for "good intentions" and its covered and not in direct contact with your socks or unmentionables. Not naked though, that would be offensive. Beside I keep stuff in my sock drawer for safe keeping and that includes my rosary, but in a box.

Another thing is if you want it for the sake of its scent then it won't last for than a few months top in a sachet bag, if its in a box or case of some sort then it should more than a few years. My mom has one thats four years old and I could still smell hints of the rosewood.
    Last edited by rock-e; 13th December 2006 at 11:52 PM.

You wouldn't technically run afoul of the church unless the rosary had been blessed, and unless you are talking a pre-owned item, it hasn't been blessed.

I have bought a pair of knitting needles carved of rosewood. They smell wonderful and are just as wonderful to knit with

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I have an antique rosewood dresser (gorgeous beastie), but its scent must have departed long ago.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

err... why not just purchase some high grade rosewood EO and add a few drops to the wood inside your drawers next time you spring clean or change the liners? The wood (unless polished) will quickly absorb the EO and you can 'refresh' as often as necessary. A completely guilt free solution...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

summer means fireflys

Shy, I can send you a copy of my Catechism ... seriously, I don't think that you would go to hell for owning rosary beads as a non-Catholic.

How about fragrances with a rosewood note? A quick search in the directory brought up 88 frags ... most of them ones that I am unfamilar with. Only two on the list that I own: Habit Rouge and Caron pour un Homme.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by Shycat
    is it offensive to buy a rosary and keep it in a sock/panty drawer as a sachet?
    I mean no offense to anyone, but who cares. Does it really matter. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by ajmc; 14th December 2006 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    I mean no offense to anyone, but who cares. Does it really matter. Just my opinion.
    Eh, Shycat cares and that is good enough for me!

Dear 'cat', just buy that rosary and enjoy its scent. And maybe also buy some Messe de Minuit as well for the right atmosphere
    I was raised as a Catholic in the most disobedient churchprovince The Netherlands and I really can see no fault in owning a rosary simply because you like beauty and scent.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Ah, thank you dear friends for the reassurance. Yup, I think I will go grab it. I'm mad for beads is the other part of this equation and I have quite a collection for my little earring and bracelet hobby.

Also, I will definately check out the rosewood EO, and keep the rosary in a pretty box(from my pretty box collecting phase...yes, there was one.) That way I will HAVE IT ALL! HA! HA!

The fresh brand-new rosewood rosaries have a great scent, but it didn't make me go "wow". It's nice enough though.

Ah, thank you dear friends for the reassurance. Yup, I think I will go grab it. I'm mad for beads is the other part of this equation and I have quite a collection for my little earring and bracelet hobby.

Also, I will definately check out the rosewood EO, and keep the rosary in a pretty box(from my pretty box collecting phase...yes, there was one.) That way I will HAVE IT ALL! HA! HA!
    Glad you went for it, pretty Puss. Rosaries are called rosaries because originally they were constructed of rosebuds - a reference to The Virgin Mary and also to ward off pestilence. (You can still find these on some Catholic supplies sites - a quick Google will reveal!)And strung beads are a facet of almost every major religion - used to focus and/or memorize) - and can carry the energy of whatever you care to imbue them with. In this case - a love of intimates and the beautiful??!!

Sniff in good health!! :bounce:
    Last edited by TaoLady; 14th December 2006 at 01:25 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    The fresh brand-new rosewood rosaries have a great scent, but it didn't make me go "wow". It's nice enough though.
    It's a combo thing for me. The scent, the bead factor, and the wood factor. My family has a geneitc tendancy to collect and be obsessive about it. My father was a contractor and then a teacher of shop. He was Obsessive with a capital 'O.' He did trees, Walnut trees to be precise. On 300 acres, I imagine he has 2000 walnut seedlings, well, young trees now. The diameter growth of many "babies" are recorded each year in notebook, to see if fertilizer helps in the long run.
    He liked to work with walnut burl, and his basement is OMG filled with planks and gun stock blanks aging away. He spent years hanging around a lumber mill as a hobby, watching the walnut timber being cut. When the burl in a tree showed up to his satisfaction, he signaled for a two inch cut and bought that plank, one at a time. All our furniture, he made, and beautifully, of walnut burl.

Heh, heh, he's had a stroke now, and is not quite as territorial (he's fine, just realizing mortality.) I bet I could talk him out of a piece and make my own burl beads, with the right machine.

He'd understand.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

It's a combo thing for me. The scent, the bead factor, and the wood factor.
    So these can be your Druid beads.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I have a small box carved out of rosewood ( and with other wood inlay) that I bought last month in northwestern Argentina. It is stunningly beautiful and very fragrant, especially in warm moist temperatures.