Code of Conduct

Question How do you pronounce Rochas?

phonetically speaking, ie, Hermes = air-mezz'

Is it Ro'-haas, Ro'-shaaz, etc.

Here's a thought... Maybe one of the more experienced members could start a thread with phonetic pronunciations of the often-butchered names of the various fragrance houses for us Newbies...

Many Thanks!
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

Default Re: How do you pronounce Rochas?

I think it would be Ro-shazz - with the French R you say in the back of your throat.

Air-mezz/mayz

Just pick up one of the learn to speak French books and read the first chapter on pronunciation and that will allow you to decipher a good chunk of the company names.

Some time ago there were similar threads. One member advised this site: http://demo.acapela-group.com/
    You can hear exactly how it is pronounced.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

The computer lady sez, and I agree, that there is no "s" pronounced at the end:

Row (as in row row row your boat) Shah (like the former ruler of Iran)

She put the accent on the 1st syllable but I think it would be on the 2nd as in "Degas"

Not quite as emphatic an 'o' as in row, but definitely emphasis on the first syllable.

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    The computer lady sez, and I agree, that there is no "s" pronounced at the end:

Row (as in row row row your boat) Shah (like the former ruler of Iran)

She put the accent on the 1st syllable but I think it would be on the 2nd as in "Degas"
    That's right but please, miss the "w" in "row" because otherwise it will sound as if an american is trying to speak french and they would laugh at you. (well, some of them )

Agree with castorpollux on the "w" dillema. Try it more like "Roh" and "shah" but with the stress on the first syllable, like in "Russia."

The finals "s" sound in French is often confusing. Some names pronounce it (Hermes, or the philosopher Emmanuel Levinas), but mostly it is not pronounced, like in Rochas, Degas, etc.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    Some time ago there were similar threads. One member advised this site: http://demo.acapela-group.com/
    Riannon, thank you so much, you saved myself from embarrassment
    Now, I know how to pronounce those Loewe, Louis Vuitton properly. Thank you for sharing.

That is a neat site; I just went to it for the first time and had fun typing in tons of names I was always afraid to say out loud (although, I still can't say "Lanvin" without sounding like I'm heavily intoxicated).

BUT, just be careful that you get the accents correct with French names. If you put the wrong one on Hermès or no accent at all (which I accidentally did at first), it will drop the final "s" and give you "air-may."
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 14th December 2006 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    So, just keep that in mind before saying "Hermes" as "air-may." For all your effort of searching for the right pronunciation, French people (or fashionistas) will still look at you strangely.
    John,
    That's a good point. Part of this is that if you've never spoken or studied a language, no matter how carefully you try to do it, you'll sound awful to a native speaker. If you're lucky, you're talking to someone who will be patient with that.

One thing that people don't realize is that you position your vocal structure in certain ways to make sounds. So for example, a French person will have their vocal structure in a particular position for a sound, and if your own language doesn't use that position, of course you'll blow it (until you practice in that position).

Also, no rule applies everywhere. Languages follow rules, yet there are exceptions to every rule, despite the efforts of the L'Academie Francaise and the like. One thing that can easily trip you up is that although you usually don't pronounce a single "s" at the end of a word in French, they may make an exception for foreign names, for instance. And fragrance is nothing if not international, so hey, good luck.

So far the only language I've come across where you can read words and deduce fairly well what they will sound like is Spanish. Italian is somewhat like that too, although their use of accents is pretty random, so it's a little trickier.

English is a trainwreck in that regard, so a learner of English is probably better off hearing a word before they read it! And the same thing for French!

That's one thing I like about Japanese; once you learn the rules of pronunciation, they don't change. "ka" is always "kah" and never "kay" or "Ka (like the "a" in apple) or anything else. As you said, english is a disaster; it was SO hard for me to teach pronunciation of English in Japan, because there are no rules. For example, why in the hell don't "snow" and "plow" rhyme???

Totally OT -- but I'm playing with the website where you type in stuff and it pronounces it for you. My dog is in my lap and I just typed in "hungry." He almost broke his neck cocking his head to one side when he heard this come out of my laptop. Greedy little pug!
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

Wouldn't you know it, the sound on my pc is out. So is it "air - mezz" or "air -mays". I am fairly good a french pronunciation (keeping the "r" in my throat and keeping the edge off of most syllables) but I am never sure about names. They seem to be the most unpredictable.

French television commercials for Rochas pronounce the S at the end. I've seen and heard them. There's a site somewhere where they're available but I can't remember what the site is. Maybe someone else has the link.

Rochas itself prounounces the S, so I do.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Riannon
    Amazing site. Having a blast on there. They'll say anything you request.
    Last edited by pluran; 26th December 2006 at 05:59 PM.

Wink Re: How do you pronounce Rochas?

Though by no means an expert on Western tongues, may I suggest the following:

ROC-H-A-S.

Thank you