Code of Conduct

Default Scents that say trip hop

Good evening/morning! Has anyone heard of a style of music referred to as trip-hop? Read the definition on wikipedia, I can't link to it

Basically it's a mix of live instruments, samples and vocals, normally very moody, brooding and bass heavy. The 'big' names in the field would be Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Morcheeba and DJ Shadow. One of the songs by Massive Attack called Unfinished Sympathy is referred to as one of the greatest songs of all time.

With that in mind, what fragrance would you say makes you third of the genre/what scent would a male vocalist for a trip hop group wears?

I thought of L'Anarchiste first but quickly relegated that to Pete Dougherty from Babyshambles
    So far I'd think of Ungaro 3, Le Dandy, Messe Minuit, Richard James, Trussardi Uomo, Anvers, Opium EDP, Salvador Dali, CdG2 and Costume National Scent Intense. Thoughts?

Default Re: Scents that say trip hop

Cannabis Santal? It is supposed to have rich layering of scents, a dirty / earthy base, and the cannabis note.
    Last edited by wundabread; 14th December 2006 at 11:06 AM.

wundabread otm
    or something with a heavy heavy patchouli note (maybe just patchouli oil, perhaps) to blend with the smell of heavy dank smoke that characterised so much of trip hop

and whoah this thread is a flashback for me, i was so very into the trip hop thing back about '95-'96. anyone remember earthling or ecstatic orange? the whole bristol scene... !!

Arabie - sultry, exotic, and a bit spacey. On the downside it is a bit warm and trip-hop is decidedly chilly.
    (and the greatest trip-hop album is still Dummy by Portishead)
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for", Allan Chalmers.

Quote Originally Posted by barnstormer

I thought of L'Anarchiste first but quickly relegated that to Pete Dougherty from Babyshambles
    So far I'd think of Ungaro 3, Le Dandy, Messe Minuit, Richard James, Trussardi Uomo, Anvers, Opium EDP, CdG2. Thoughts?

The above are too refined to be associated with the trip hop musical genre. I suggest you consider fragrances that aren't well made...

I was (and still am!) heavily into Sneaker Pimps (and regard their second album Splinter as one of the great albums of all time). I think Chris Corner would wear something like Zino by Davidoff, or maybe Mechant Loup. Or perhaps even Opium PH EDP.

There is a deep sexuality to Sneaker Pimps that calls out for an erotic scent.

Versace Black Jeans. Dark, kinda sexy, and loaded with tar.

As for the earlier mention of Cannabis Santal... I find it quite sweet and sugary, so I don't know that I'd second that recommendation. (plus, the Cannabis note, if present at all, is so faint as to be more a marketing ploy than an actual note).
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Second Zino by Davidoff.

How about a light application of Czech & Speake No. 88? Adds a goth/victorian sensibility to your trip hop.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Post Re: Scents that say trip hop

I consider Risingson to be one of the best songs I've ever heard. I'm also a huge fan of Portishead. I don't think the question makes much since the two bands are very different in feel. Atleast for me, that is.

I'd associate eerie beauty of Portishead with something like Eau d'Hiver, although Portishead is way more melancholic. So that one isn't good one after all. Something soft, beautiful yet melancholic. What about an iris scent with certain coolness to it? Hiris might be alright.

Massive Attack brings very different things to my mind. Something very laid back and nonchalant, maybe somewhat smoky, nothing too sweet. Complex. What about Fumerie Turque?

I love all that stuff.

My suggestion would be Antaeus.

i still love trip hop. i discovered the beauty of it all in college in the 90's. yes, portishead is undoubtably ranked #1, dummy and portishead are very good.

i don't know if it my current pahse or what, but the cdg incense collection would be appropriate for trip hop, at least for portishead... dark, smokey, a collection of things, that combine just right to create something memorable.

dj krush, coming from japan, i could see cdg kyoto for him.
    for mono, i would see something a bit dark and floral, maybe with a bit of jasmine in it.
    i think of notes of patchouli, cedar ( i don't really know why) and those metalic notes that you san sometimes get in frags.

I'm thinking patchouli, smoke, tar, and hashish. Is there such a frag???
    Black Jeans seems a good fit for the tar note, as does Lonestar Memories for smoke and tar.

(Actually Lonestar is more like Wilco or Son Volt meets Portishead - What a show!)

Sh*tkickers, shoegazers, and everyone in between...

Paul
    Last edited by Scentsibility; 31st December 2006 at 10:41 PM.
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

Donna Karan Black Cashmere seems a good one for the Tricky/Massive Attack school of trip hop - smoky and intriguing, with lots of patchouli.

When I think Bvlgari Black..
    I think of Tricky's Christian Sands or Portishead's Humming

Something so sinister in the smell... must be all that Tar... definately next on the buy list
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe