Code of Conduct

Default Counter-balanced orientals

I like many oriental fragrances, but can find them hard to wear because they are either too heavy or too one-dimensionally vanilla-sweet. Joop! for instance is an offender in both categories, and I even have 'issues' with Body Kouros or Lolita Lempicka AM.

I guess I want my orientals to have a counter-balance - I particularly enjoy Burberry Touch, with its pepper, florals and vetiver to balance out the tonka; Burberry Brit, where this job is done by the rose and nutmeg, and Gucci Envy, where it's in the woodiness.

What other oriental(-like) fragrances would you recommend that have either herbal, floral, woody or grassy-fresh notes to balance the tonka/vanillic sweetness?

Default Re: Counter-balanced orientals

Armani Code

Cool Re: Counter-balanced orientals

Quote Originally Posted by naranjito
    I like many oriental fragrances, but can find them hard to wear because they are either too heavy or too one-dimensionally vanilla-sweet. Joop! for instance is an offender in both categories, and I even have 'issues' with Body Kouros or Lolita Lempicka AM.

I guess I want my orientals to have a counter-balance - I particularly enjoy Burberry Touch, with its pepper, florals and vetiver to balance out the tonka; Burberry Brit, where this job is done by the rose and nutmeg, and Gucci Envy, where it's in the woodiness.

What other oriental(-like) fragrances would you recommend that have either herbal, floral, woody or grassy-fresh notes to balance the tonka/vanillic sweetness?

Wow! Tall order, but my favorite category:

1.Signature by St. Dupont (discontinued but available) incense, pepper
    2.Antaeus--- Strong Spiced Woods balance the beeswax absolute, a masterpiece.
    3. Salvador by Dali---(dicontinued but available) Woods, 'Aromatic rustic' flower heart notes.
    4. Egoiste--balanced by florals and cinammon as well as by ubderstated bottled elegance.
    5. Bulgari Black--balanced by rubber tires screeching on the road. Mod , dark, great.

Aw hell, just check out half of my wardrobe! Including the ones I've previously owned. The only two that may give you trouble are Jaipur, very well blended with heliotrope- but it might remind you of vanilla, or to be too linear for you (?) and Mont Blanc Individuel, a GQ scent that's a kind of refined , improved Joop redux.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

If you don't mind spending the money (and, now on ebay I think there is a seller selling this for a pretty good price) L'artisan's L'eau D'ambre is quite nice. It's very oriental, but has a dryness and smoothness about it that helps to balance the amber and the vanilla.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Thanks, I'll be looking into your suggestions!
    And Mario: I actually own Jaipur, and yes it's very vanilla and a bit linear. But I don't mind vanilla per se, and I find it rather modest compared to the loud presence of other orientals.
    Antaeus is top of my list for sampling now.

Davidoff Relax

very interesting topic. I think you could try L'Instant, which starts with that mintily citric topnote before gaining heft (Without ever losing its freshness).

Let me add my two cents:

I consider these unisex and have absolutely no trouble wearing them:

Must de Cartier by Cartier for Women
    Krazy Krizia by Krizia

KK is now discontinued, but if you get in close proximity to any give it a run for it's money.

Here's another one I'm down with:

Asja by Fendi