Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Need help identifying a fragrance (1980s)

One more vote for Drakkar Noir

I'd be amazed if it were the Drakkar, but I'll know soon - a sample is on its way to me. The rest I'll be sniffing in stores if possible. It'll be great to confuse the staff there: "what are you smelling all these outdated colognes for? Why don't you try the Armani Remix?"

I wouldn't discount Paco Rabanne - although it smells super clean and ultra fresh out of the bottle, when it settles that aspect diminishes and on some people it's never really there. My father wears it very well for example. It sounds the most like what you're describing, gingerbread etc.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Santos??? JHL perhaps?

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

OK, one to definitely and definitively cross off the list: Drakkar Noir it is not.
    A mini arrived in the mail today, and two thoughts came to mind:

1. No, no, no, this is definitely *not* the fragrance I'm looking for with respect to the early '80s preppy git. Drakkar Noir is *much* too fresh and sharp. The stuff I'm looking for is much smoother, warmer and, in a sense, softer.

2. OMG, wow. This is Drakkar Noir? The legend, the classic, the only-good-for-bearded-bikers now? Of course I remember this stuff! Everything from GIT/Cool Water and their followers is indebted to it. What's more, every other shower gel and toliet freshener is. That lavender+citrus+pine opening is so amazingly familiar! Interesting drydown, though: the citrus lingering + kitchen spice + a major dose of patchouli gives off a much more refined aura than the opening moments suggest.

So I'm looking for warmer, smoother, and less sharp. Perhaps more 'old man' (or 'old money') too. Maybe it had amber, musk, tobacco?

[On a sidenote: along with the Drakkar there arrived a mini containing Laroche's Horizon. Nice! It's sort of mint+lemon+smoke at first, not dissimilar to M7 Fresh. Waiting for it to evolve - will post in the relevant current thread on the subject if I've anything more intresting to say]

nearfantastica

Wait a second..

the 80's..could that have been a Georgio Beverly Hills fragrance?

How about Red, by Georgio Beverly Hills? Heady, spicy..in your face...

If not, something more ambery.. maybe Lagerfeld Classic, which has a very ambery, powdery.. serious, smooth tone to it... could that be your doggy? It came out in the late 70's but still could have been in useage at that time.

a.

Aqua Velva was still around then...

Smile Re: Need help identifying a fragrance (1980s)

Love this thread--takes me back to early college days...

The first thing I thought of from the description (and my own wearing at that time) was Lagerfeld Classic. Other popular scents at the time that may fit the bill are: Chaz, Chaps, or Pierre Cardin.

Gotta love the 80's!

I (stubbornly) still say it's One-Man Show. Although I agree that it could be Paco Rabanne (I loved that one, btw).
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Basenotes Plus

Zizanie?

Maybe Lapidus pour Homme? That was kinda popular over here in The Netherlands in the 80's.

The only popular scents that I can remember from about then, were Drakkar, Obsession, Polo, Roger & Gallet Open (clique following in my high-school) and Carrington.

Ojay

I'm guessing Paco Rabanne. It was quite ubiquitous among my friends in high school circa early 80s.

-Sloan

Blog Entries

I'm going to mention a few that may fit the descriptions and time frame; Chaps, Krizia Uomo, Zizanie, Wall Street, Aramis, Aramis 900, Devin, Azzaro PH, Lagerfeld, and the original Perry Ellis for Men.

My guess is Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men.
    It came out around 1984.

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills is a Oriental Woody fragrance for men. Giorgio for Men was launched in 1984. Top notes are aldehydes, orange, , fruity notes and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, sandalwood, patchouli, cinnamon, orris root, cedar and rose; base notes are honey, tonka bean, amber, musk, benzoin, oakmoss and vanilla..

I was thinking Paco Rabanne, but Halston Z-14 certainly comes to mind. This can be had CHEAP and though I am sure it's a reformulation it still smells damned close to the original.

Aramis and Antaeus may be longshots, but if it isn't Z-14 you may wanna check those out.