Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Perfume Ads

I ran across these old perfume ads on ebay while trying to get information on Crown Perfumery. I thought someone else might enjoy the nostalgia of visiting this old era of perfumery:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/8-Vintage-PERFUM...QQcmdZViewItem

After trying quite a few vintage perfume nips, I always wonder what these old lost fragrances smelled like. Of the ones I've tried, many smelled old-fashioned but pleasant, well-mannered and sweet, though somewhat short-lived. Some were forgettable, but none were awful. And there was none of the synthetic or department store blasts you get so many times now, of course. I suspect there was also less of the wildly divergent reactions to the same fragrance we get nowadays.
    I sometimes wonder if we haven't lost a little bit with all our present gains in staying power, effusion and diversity.

Default Re: Vintage Perfume Ads

How serendipitous! I was just thinking I'd like to decorate my new spare room (roomie is moving out. YAY!) with some perfume ads.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

While we're on the subject, it's time to tell our newcomers about this site of NEW perfume ads:

http://perso.orange.fr/imagesdeparfums/indexfr.htm

If not decorating your walls like pellon, then pull some of these images for desktop wallpaper.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I've bought several over the past month from ebay and an ephemera website I found online. I plan to frame them and hang in my bedroom.

My favorite is an old ad for Caron -- a group photo of bottles that includes Tabac Blond.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

I can spend hours on eBay, looking at old perfume and cosmetic ads. It's amazing how much time I fritter away in this pursuit.

Once, I was hounded by the memory of a model with light green eyes. I was sure the ad had been a 1970s advert for a makeup item, and I scoured eBay trying to find it.

Turns out the model was Luci de la Falaise, and the product was not makeup but perfume: Paris. I found it by mistake while doing a generic search for fragrance ads from any decade. These ads make me very happy, even if I dislike the perfume.

Resurrected this thread since I came across some nice images:

anyone have some ads to share?
    Last edited by rtamara41; 8th September 2008 at 01:07 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

This one has been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl...

ah, yes, I used to love the Maja soaps...pretty image!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

here's one more, ladies, isn't this how we all feel in the morning when applying that chosen scent of the day?

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    here's one more, ladies, isn't this how we all feel in the morning when applying that chosen scent of the day?
    Why, sure, that's me alright!

Here's a fragrance for the morning after...

Blog Entries

I came across these a few months ago when trying to help Dimitri identify an old bottle of 4711:

p.s.-- Please help me out rtamara! What is your first image and new avatar advertising?
    Last edited by Heartwood; 8th September 2008 at 08:36 PM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Caron had the most beautiful ads, IMO.

The one with the oceanliner and "Caron Coming to America" on it is fabulous. I wish I could find it and post it.

an oud girl, the first image in my post is a Caron ad for Narcisse Blanc.
    Coincidence that Seattlelight mentioned this house, I guess.