Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1

    Default StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Today I acessed StrawberryNet.com and for my surprise there's a note where they explain they won't be shipping fragrances worldwide due to the new transport restrictions by air...
    Probably Hong Kong has prohibited the transportation of any fragrances by airmail. Oh my God, when will all this crazyness stop??
    It was, in my humble opinion, the best e-supplier!
    I hope they keep selling fragrances and making the transportation by ship. (although It would take ages to be delivered).

  2. #2

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Although I haven't ordered from them, it's indeed a pity that 'free trade' has to suffer from all the recent paranoia

  3. #3

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    Today I acessed StrawberryNet.com and for my surprise there's a note where they explain they won't be shipping fragrances worldwide due to the new transport restrictions by air...
    Probably Hong Kong has prohibited the transportation of any fragrances by airmail. Oh my God, when will all this crazyness stop??
    It was, in my humble opinion, the best e-supplier!
    I hope they keep selling fragrances and making the transportation by ship. (although It would take ages to be delivered).
    Oh my, your post scared the hell out of me! I've purchased stuff from them over 70 times and never been dissapointed (I actually bought JOOP! What about Adam yesterday). When I read your post I though the fun was over, but thank God it looks like they are still able to ship to Finland as well as to most of the countries. According to their website delivery to addresses in France, Monaco and Germany is currently not possible.

    -Tero-

  4. #4

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by GGA
    According to their website delivery to addresses in France, Monaco and Germany is currently not possible.

    -Tero-
    That's under the customer service part concerning shipping in general, but what RCavs meant was this notice that you get when you click for example the *cologne&men's fragrances* tab:

    "Important Notice




    We regret we are temporarily no longer able to supply fragrance due to restrictions on transport of fragrance materials by air.

    We will be able and delighted to continue supplying all cosmetics and skincare products other than fragrance in the same way as normal.

    We sincerely trust we can find a way around this difficulty and will be able to resume selling fragrance sometime in the new year.

    We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

    ********************

    Orders in transit should all be delivered unless you have been informed otherwise directly by email."

    Crap.

  5. #5

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    I'm having a heart attack - that cannot be true!!! And I was going to buy a gift of Obsession this weekend and ton's of stuff in the near future.
    Mama, the fun IS over... (Can you hear my tears dropping on my lap top?)

    -One terribly depressed loyal customer from Finland-

  6. #6

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    That's exactly what I meant! Thanks, Mikael!
    Tero, I hope your Joop can be delivered, I ordered 3 fragrances some weeks ago and thanks God they all left Hong Kong before the restriction!

  7. #7

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by GGA
    I'm having a heart attack - that cannot be true!!! And I was going to buy a gift of Obsession this weekend and ton's of stuff in the near future.
    Mama, the fun IS over... (Can you hear my tears dropping on my lap top?)

    -One terribly depressed loyal customer from Finland-
    Tero, I was quite shocked too when I saw the note and the first thing that came to my mind was what you said: "The FUN is OVER"
    I didn't ordered as much as you did, but I was in my "30 something" purchase and They never disappointed me!

    - Another terribly depressed loyal customer from Brazil

  8. #8

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    Tero, I hope your Joop can be delivered, I ordered 3 fragrances some weeks ago and thanks God they all left Hong Kong before the restriction!
    Dear friend,

    thanks for your consern. I'm so happy for you that you made your order in good time (what did you order by the way?). I guess I'm lucky too since they have sent me an email confirming the dispacth of my order. If I had known this coming, would I have ordered much more...

    -T-

  9. #9

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by GGA
    Dear friend,

    thanks for your consern. I'm so happy for you that you made your order in good time (what did you order by the way?). I guess I'm lucky too since they have sent me an email confirming the dispacth of my order. If I had known this coming, would I have ordered much more...

    -T-
    Tero, I ordered a 75ml bottle of Obsession for me and two gift sets: Burberry Brit for my sister and Echo woman for my wife)
    yeah, if I had known this would happen, I would have bought a lot of stuff too!

  10. #10

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    Tero, I ordered a 75ml bottle of Obsession for me and two gift sets: Burberry Brit for my sister and Echo woman for my wife)
    yeah, if I had known this would happen, I would have bought a lot of stuff too!
    Aaah, Obsession for men! You have excellent taste my friend ;-) And how nice gifts for your wife and sister!

    I keep my fingers crossed that this break in delivery is truly temporary. Otherwise I don't know what to do. The perfume selection of our department stores and perfumeries is lousy and prices ridiculously high compared to the prices Strawberrynet can offer. I guess I have to start doing fragrance hunting trips around the world then...

    -T-
    Last edited by GGA; 15th December 2006 at 02:24 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    This is easily the worst thing to happen to my wardrobe in many years. there's lots of stuff that can only be found online at Strawberry. This royally sucks.

  12. #12

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Very sad news indeed. I have ordered from them many times and would have hoped to be able to order in the future, too.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

  13. #13

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    NOOO!!

    http://strawberrynet.com/importantNotice.aspx

    They will HAVE to find a way around this because this will put a serious dent in their sales.

  14. #14

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    I can't help thinking about Stigler's rule/law (from memory) - a famous rule in public sector administration which states something along the lines that the main beneficiaries of regulations are those being regulated. In other words, over time, those being regulated capture the regulating body.

    Thus, who gains from Strawberrynet not being allowed to post fragrances by airmail - i.e. airmail that goes by airplane?

    Could it perhaps be the airlines who sell those very same scents at higher prices on board those very planes, where it is supposedly unsafe to fly Strawberrynet's scents?
    Renato

  15. #15

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by GGA
    Aaah, Obsession for men! You have excellent taste my friend ;-) And how nice gifts for your wife and sister!

    I keep my fingers crossed that this break in delivery is truly temporary. Otherwise I don't know what to do. The perfume selection of our department stores and perfumeries is lousy and prices ridiculously high compared to the prices Strawberrynet can offer. I guess I have to start doing fragrance hunting trips around the world then...

    -T-
    Thanks, Tero!
    Yeah, I'm in the same situation, I don't know what to do... The selection here is lousy too and the prices are also ridiculously high if compared to Strawberrynet...
    My option could be PerfumeBay.com but they practice higher prices and the shipping is outrageous...
    Well, looking at the bright side of this situation, I'll be able to practice an old wish: stop buying fragrances for a while!
    Taking Joel_Cairo words, It's the only way to reduce the increasing of my wardrobe...
    They must find a way... They must find a way...

  16. #16

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    http://www.aircargoworld.com/archive...es/2_dec05.htm

    I am so not surprised by this turn of events. SNet was shipping DG in direct contravention of IATA/ICAO rules for the carriage of dangerous goods by air. I was gobsmacked when I got my bottle of Tumult PH and there was not even an ORM-D sticker on it and it was mislabeled as "cosmetic samples". They contravened customs regulations as well.

    If I did an export like that my line of work I could kiss my multiple DG certifications, my career, and $25000+ good-bye. They probably got caught by IATA/ICAO.
    We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give - W. Churchill

  17. #17

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by jaelynn
    http://www.aircargoworld.com/archive...es/2_dec05.htm

    I am so not surprised by this turn of events. SNet was shipping DG in direct contravention of IATA/ICAO rules for the carriage of dangerous goods by air. I was gobsmacked when I got my bottle of Tumult PH and there was not even an ORM-D sticker on it and it was mislabeled as "cosmetic samples". They contravened customs regulations as well.

    If I did an export like that my line of work I could kiss my multiple DG certifications, my career, and $25000+ good-bye. They probably got caught by IATA/ICAO.
    So when you order scents from Australian internet dealers, do they come to you solely via road and sea, or are they flown via Australia Post?
    Renato

  18. #18

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    So when you order scents from Australian internet dealers, do they come to you solely via road and sea, or are they flown via Australia Post?
    Renato

    If by air, they are sent in accordance with ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) regulations covering the transportation of dangerous goods by air - there are protocols, regulation, and paperwork for legal transport. it can be done, it just must be done lawfully. Strawberrynet lies on their export declarations as to the nature of the product which IS regulated - unlike the cosmetic samples they misdeclare it as. When you pay for air express shipment of fragrance, overnight or two day or whatever, look on the box next time for that little ORM-D sticker.

    So it's either done legally to my corner of the ethersphere, or I hop in my virtual rocket powered outrigger canoe and go to where it is at. Perfectly fine to transport in non-commercial conveyance.
    We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give - W. Churchill

  19. #19

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Dammit! Dammit! Dammit!

  20. #20

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    There's a, well, Irish copy of strawberrynet. There's no notice up on this site even though it operates in much the same way (HK): perfumeireland (dotcom, I'm a new guy - can't post urls!) Its got free worldwide shipping (and yes its genuine and is fairly well regarded here in Ireland). Maybe its been too slow to put up a note on its site however...
    Last edited by Jean-Baptiste Grenouille; 16th December 2006 at 03:04 PM.

  21. #21

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Baptiste Grenouille
    There's a, well, Irish copy of strawberrynet. There's no notice up on this site even though it operates in much the same way (HK): perfumeireland (dotcom, I'm a new guy - can't post urls!) Its got free worldwide shipping (and yes its genuine and is fairly well regarded here in Ireland). Maybe its been too slow to put up a note on its site however...
    Well, there is now! Select any fragrance and you will see the announcement (in red bold) at the bottom.

    The world really has gone mad...

  22. #22

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    Well, there is now! Select any fragrance and you will see the announcement (in red bold) at the bottom.

    The world really has gone mad...
    ...damn

  23. #23

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by jaelynn
    If by air, they are sent in accordance with ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) regulations covering the transportation of dangerous goods by air - there are protocols, regulation, and paperwork for legal transport. it can be done, it just must be done lawfully. Strawberrynet lies on their export declarations as to the nature of the product which IS regulated - unlike the cosmetic samples they misdeclare it as. When you pay for air express shipment of fragrance, overnight or two day or whatever, look on the box next time for that little ORM-D sticker.

    So it's either done legally to my corner of the ethersphere, or I hop in my virtual rocket powered outrigger canoe and go to where it is at. Perfectly fine to transport in non-commercial conveyance.
    My question wasn't about how it "must" be done.
    My question was how is it done.
    I've bought from a variety of Australian dealers - all arrived in plain boxes, indistinguishable from any other item sent in the mail.
    Which is what I understand to be the case for Americans when they order from their internet dealers.
    So here we have a "dangerous" item which apparently is dangerous when flown internationally, but not dangerous when flown internally. And similarly, is not dangerous when flown internationally in a passenger's bag or baggage.
    Pardon my scepticism at what I perceive as a regulatory assault on free trade.
    Renato

  24. #24

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    My question wasn't about how it "must" be done.
    My question was how is it done.
    I've bought from a variety of Australian dealers - all arrived in plain boxes, indistinguishable from any other item sent in the mail.
    Which is what I understand to be the case for Americans when they order from their internet dealers.
    So here we have a "dangerous" item which apparently is dangerous when flown internationally, but not dangerous when flown internally. And similarly, is not dangerous when flown internationally in a passenger's bag or baggage.
    Pardon my scepticism at what I perceive as a regulatory assault on free trade.
    Renato
    Domestic transport is governed by domestic regulatory bodies (your own government). International regulations are standardized throught certin arms of the UN, and in NO WAY limit free trade. They are in place for the protection of lives, the environment, vehicles of commerce, and the other guy's stuff that he is shipping. You and DuPont are both governed by the same regulations when you ship a bottle of flammable liquid.
    We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give - W. Churchill

  25. #25

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Canadian and US Postal service both refuse to ship anything with alcohol in it by air. Quite idiotic.

    Strawberrynet was great. They would refund your customs fees if you were charged any!

  26. #26

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    I've heard all the e-perfumeshops aren't shipping internationally anymore...
    Is it true??
    At PerfumeBay.com they put a note explaining perfumery are considered dangerous goods and they aren't allowed to ship them by Standard AirMail... Now they're able to ship internationally only using Express mail (in their case, DHL) that costs only U$35.95!!!! So cheap, Isn't it??
    Damn it! The fun is really over.
    Last edited by RCavs; 22nd December 2006 at 07:36 PM.

  27. #27

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by jaelynn
    Domestic transport is governed by domestic regulatory bodies (your own government). International regulations are standardized throught certin arms of the UN, and in NO WAY limit free trade. They are in place for the protection of lives, the environment, vehicles of commerce, and the other guy's stuff that he is shipping. You and DuPont are both governed by the same regulations when you ship a bottle of flammable liquid.
    I'm unsure as to why it is not blindingly obvious to you that this is nothing more than a mechanism to LIMIT free trade and has zero to do with safety.

    One does not need to be a professional engineer trained in risk analysis to do it (which I am).

    Plain common sense indicates that several bottles of EDT in a parcel travelling in the cargo hold of a plane, are no more dangerous than twenty 100ml bottles of EDT travelling in soft luggage in the hold of that same plane as checked in baggage. And last time I looked ( a few minutes ago) that was permitted.
    Renato

  28. #28

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    I've heard all the e-perfumeshops aren't shipping internationally anymore...
    Is it true??
    It appears that fragrancenet.com still ships internationally... but for how long...???

  29. #29

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    Plain common sense indicates that several bottles of EDT in a parcel travelling in the cargo hold of a plane, are no more dangerous than twenty 100ml bottles of EDT travelling in soft luggage in the hold of that same plane as checked in baggage. And last time I looked ( a few minutes ago) that was permitted.
    Renato
    But isn't checked baggage subject to possible manual inspection whereas packages being mailed cannot be opened or for instance "sniffed" by dogs or machines as readily? My guess would be that it is simply not practical for the airlines to verify the contents of all the cargo, especially given that some of it is USPS mail which by law, cannot be opened by anyone but the recipient. Therefore, they have chosen simply to restrict certain substances.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 23rd December 2006 at 08:14 AM.

  30. #30

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I'm unsure as to why it is not blindingly obvious to you that this is nothing more than a mechanism to LIMIT free trade and has zero to do with safety.

    One does not need to be a professional engineer trained in risk analysis to do it (which I am).

    Plain common sense indicates that several bottles of EDT in a parcel travelling in the cargo hold of a plane, are no more dangerous than twenty 100ml bottles of EDT travelling in soft luggage in the hold of that same plane as checked in baggage. And last time I looked ( a few minutes ago) that was permitted.
    Renato
    Fine, gather up some materials scientists, risk management professionals such as yourself, economists, and fragrance fans and lobby your congress/parlament critters and the ICAO. What IS blindingly obvious to me, as a transportation logistician, is that I am charged with upholding ICAO/IATA regulations covering the transportation of dangerous goods by air. Don't shoot the messenger.

    And don't think for a minute that the ICAO/IATA want to restrict free trade. My opinions on so called "free trade" might singe your ears (and are one reason I prefer to work the export end of things). In any respect, the delimiting of free trade is achieved through tariff regulation not DG regulation.
    We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give - W. Churchill

  31. #31

    Default Re: StrawberryNet isn't shipping worldwide anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I'm unsure as to why it is not blindingly obvious to you that this is nothing more than a mechanism to LIMIT free trade and has zero to do with safety.

    Plain common sense indicates that several bottles of EDT in a parcel travelling in the cargo hold of a plane, are no more dangerous than twenty 100ml bottles of EDT travelling in soft luggage in the hold of that same plane as checked in baggage. And last time I looked ( a few minutes ago) that was permitted.
    Renato
    I agree 100% with Renato! It makes no sense to impose such prohinition...

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone wanna vent about shipping?
    By Indie_Guy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 2nd November 2005, 07:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000