Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yesterday I met with one of the late great Basenoters

You may remember someone who not too long ago was a frequent poster around here. Peerless storyteller, avid supporter of Comme des Garcons. Ring a bell? Geez, there are so many new guys around here half of y'all probably don't even know who I'm talking about. If you don't, you ought to go back and search the forums for some of his crazy tales.

And for those that know, yup, I met with Indie Guy! It was a really great time. When I got to Indie Guy's (Ted) apartment he had his whole 100+ bottle collection laid out nicely on a counter top. Bottles upon beautiful bottles of scents, many of which I'd never tried before! We focused on the Comme des Garcons, because that is his favorite line and a line that I hadn't explored much. Off the top of my head, he had the entire Incense Series, Sequoia, Skai, Dry Clean, Vetivveru, Odeur 53, Odeur 71, CDG 2, and CDG 2 Man. It was awesome to try them! I'm still tinkering with the generous samples that he made me, and so far I'm loving the ones that lean towards the woody/spicy end of the spectrum. The other ones are more of an aquired taste, so we'll see if they grow on me.

Another good thing that happened is that I remembered how much I like Body Kouros! What a warm, comforting scent. I'm definately going to pick that one up.

Ok, so my collection is pretty lame especially compared to Ted's, but I did introduce him to some Serge Lutens scents a long with a few other assorted scents. He seemed to like but not love the Serge Lutens scents I showed him. SL's though, like CDG's, can be pretty hard to appreciate at first and need some time, so not loving upon first sniff is understandable.

Oh, and we did all this sniffing over frosty glasses of Coffee Stout. I'm not sure if smelling it cleared my palate or not, but it sure was some good beer!

The other phase of the meeting that was really cool was checking out some of his creations. For those of you that know Ted, you might remember that he ordered some perfumerie kits. At the time he was more or less tinkering around, but since he's developed some skills! He let me smell some of his creations and they were actually really good, haha maybe other than Yo-yo one. There was one in particular (the one that was inspired by the CDG incense) that I would definately like to have in my drobe! Not only did he show me his creations, but he showed me the kit. It was ridiculous! There were well over 100 (I have no idea how many) real aromachemicals that are just like what are used to make the scents that we all wear. Some smelled really weird on their own, wheareas others almost smelled like complete scents in and of themselves! Needless to say, when it was all said and done, my nose was completely dead.

Another cool thing about the night was that we could actually talk scent! The only other people I've ever done that with are store owners, and that is obviously different though it can sometimes be enriching also. But something about just talking scents man to man was totally refreshing and felt great. Definately not something I can usually do.

All in all, it was an awesome time. Ted is a great guy, and was fun to talk to and share the smelling experience with. I don't know if you're reading this Ted, but if you are, maybe you can make an honorary post on this thread just to say what's up?

I encourage you guys to make an effort to meet with other Basenoters because it's a great experience especially if the people you're usually with aren't scent enthusiasts.
    Thanks Ted!
    Last edited by The_Giraffe; 16th December 2006 at 02:37 AM. Reason: To make it make sense

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I met with one of the late greats

There's nothing like being able to intelligently share one's experiences in perfume with others, especially in person. Speaking to a store owner is distinctly different: the shop owner is attempting to sell something, in the end. A fellow basenoter is interested only in sharing.

Thanks for the story!
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Post Thanks / Like

Late great? He's not on Basenotes anymore ?

Another great Basenoters meeting !
    -

Phew! For a minute there when you said "late" I thought he was dead!

Sounds like a good time! Wish I could walk into someone's place and see perfume bottles ready for sampling.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
    There is really nothing to be said about it.
    It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.

--W. Somerset Maugham

My Wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Yesterday I met with one of the late great Basenoters

There you go guys, I changed the title so that it makes a bit more sense.

Wow that is great Dave. Did he say when he is going to get back in and posting again?

Yeah I met two basenoters myself Sobranie and Scenteur7, and I have talked to several on the phone many times. Very very positive experiences I must say.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky
    Yeah I met two basenoters myself Sobranie and Scenteur7, and I have talked to several on the phone many times. Very very positive experiences I must say.
    I'm sure one shouldn't expect anything else from te chasers of such a peaceful and intelligent hobby I've never talked to any basenoters, but I'm sure I might find several friends here.

I miss IndieGuy's posts. Glad you have a good time - sounds like a blast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ugh....so jealous!!!!!!! But I'm glad you had a great time!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Wow, great sniffing-experience there (which includes meeting Ted of course). I truely miss having him around here, but I hope his leave has helped him with whatever business it was he had to get sorted out. If you can, send him my best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    I don't know if you're reading this Ted, but if you are, maybe you can make an honorary post on this thread just to say what's up?

David! What a nice post!

Yeah guys, it was really a good time getting to hang out with another Basenoter. I met Dr. Bubba once too, but it was kind of brief.

First of all, most of you probably can't imagine how cool it is to find another person with whom you can talk to about all this stuff. Sure, sometimes I can hijack a conversation with friends or coworkers onto the subject of fragrance for a few blissful minutes, but usually they get bored with it and want to talk about something else! So it was really liberating.

David, you mentioned that your drobe is pretty small, but you had some really good stuff. The Egoiste is really nice--especially after a half hour. Also, thanks for the samples--especially the Creed Acier Aluminium! I had been wanting to try this for a long time now--what with all the comparisons to Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut". I wore it yesterday and really dug it. The Santal Noble was also something I had been wanting to try for a long time--That was my first MPG. The near empty vial of Chergui was pretty nice too-- when I came back home later, the fragrance was wafting nicely into the air. (Next time, when you check out my aromachemicals etc., I'll show you some ingredients like Coumarin--stuff that is in heavy doses in Chergui-- I haven't tried to craft an Oriental yet, so that could be my next project.)

Also, I'm flattered that you liked that one incense fragrance I made. I have gotten good remarks on it--a few times from strangers or from checkout girls at the store. I've had a few people who didn't understand me when I said "I MADE it".

Oh, also I've been thinking about the Lutens Santal de Mysore you let me try... WOW, that was really good stuff. Of course it's unavailable in the USA dammit. Really an interesting take on Sandalwood.

But again, David is really on the right path-- he has a really good frame of reference for fragrances and some people have definitely been steering him the right way with decants and samples. I know I've had people who really helped me by sharing samples from their collections and I was pleased to do the same. It was a ton of fun setting up 130 bottles of fragrance on the bar, and David was like a kid in a candy store! This hobby is a lot like trick or treat for adults.

This was funny--David was smelling Lagerfeld Jako, and he accidentally dropped the bottle into his glass of coffee stout! Guess what, the next day I sniffed the Jako bottle and it smelled of Jako but with a really nice coffee note as well--No kidding, a coffee note would really push Jako into something great.

The whole experience was just awesome. I echo what David said about trying to make an effort to meet another Basenoter in person. Even if it's a little bit of a drive, man it is really worth it!

Well, that's pretty much it-- I do read the forums sometimes and after David's really nice post, I felt it would be nice to speak up and return the compliment.

So stay cool everybody, and I'll see you later!

Regards,

Ted

PS: Thanks again, David, for the Laguna Homme-- it was actually at the top of the list of things I really wanted to have (The bottle is really cool!) Have a safe trip back home to Seattle-- and I hope your family didn't lose power in the storm. Hope to see you when you get back.

Post Thanks / Like

A pleasure to see that something like this really can happen! Nice account from both ends!
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I also had the pleasure to meet two basenoters this year (and also hope to meet others in the future) so I can fully understand the pleasure!!! It's also nice to see ya back again Ted nosing around from time to time!!! I also miss your "biting" style!

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a pleasure to read the thread. Thanks for sharing the good times!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for popping in Ted, you are sorely missed!
    Hope you're still digging Burberry London. I've been meaning to reply to your email from a few weeks back, I'll get around to it, I promise!