Code of Conduct

Default Inspired by rtamara41: Visceral Scents

What fragrances have caused you to have an actual, visceral reaction?

Those I own:

Chanel Bois des Iles - it's beauty made me weep. In it I found something I'd been searching for my whole life.

Frederic Malle En Passant - Brings tears to my eyes for nostalgia and sheer beauty.

L'Artisan D'Humeur Reveuse - it makes me feel like everything is going to be okay. It's the exhale I'm always waiting to release.

Stella McCartney Rose Absolute - it's almost overwhelmingly intense.

Bvlgari Blv Notte - brings the beautiful feeling of a warm summer night, sexy, and full of mystery.

Chanel Gardenia - a mysterious, haunted garden. A secret room.

Default Re: Inspired by rtamara41: Visceral Scents

Montale's Steam Oud made me gag.

wonderful thread!

Caron L'Anarchiste truly unnerved me. I want to like the frag; I hope I'll like the frag; but right now it just makes me feel strange, like there's something evil lurking around me.

Black Orchid by Tom Ford. Transported me back to some time in 6th or 7th grade, playing in the forest near my school, and seeing a pink lady slipper. The visceral reaction is being filled by the feeling of discovering, mystery, and amazement. I really understand the connection between scent and memory so much better now.
    Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite.
    Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
    -George Bancroft {1800-1891 American Historian}

=

current favorites:
    Balmain Jolie Madame, Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan
    =

Talking Re: Inspired by rtamara41: Visceral Scents

having warm fuzzy visceral reaction to a thread inspired by me

Bulgari Rose Essentiale immediately brought tears to my eyes when I sampled it, so much so that I felt soft and vulnerable and decided not to buy it for that reason. It frightened me a bit.

Tabac Blond made me tremble and shake and sort of tingle.
    Moondeva classified this one as intelligent. Can it be intelligent AND visceral? Sort of like a cerebral turn on? I say yes.

Arabie made me feel sumptuously surrounded in abundance and opulence, like being wrapped in a richly scented velvet cloak.

Ambre Sultan made my BF lick my hand. Does that count as visceral? I suppose that is HIS reaction. I still need to research this one.

Hypnotic Poison made me nauseous the third time I tested it.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

I am very sensitive / sensual and find that perfumes are very important to me, so much so that I have some sort of deep reponse to most of the perfumes I experience. I find writing reveiws very draining for this reason.

I want to get my thoughts together before answering this thread fully but thought I would share this quick bon mot with you before I go:

I love labdanum and cistus labdanum in a perfume. I was very excited when I discovered that there were perfumes that featured this wonderfully sensual note. I tried Le Labo (Cistus) Labdanum #18 and was completely in love. It was a complete body stroke (by a hand in a soft mink glove) - even my toes curled with sheer pleasure. Unfortunately, for me it is rather expensive and rather hard to obtain so imagine my delight when I found out that DK Labdanum was much more available and affordable. I ordered two samples and waited eagerly for them to arrive.

Eventually they arrived and I applied lavishly, waited... then applied some more. Well, my 'visceral' reaction was unadulterated rage! I was pissed at what I perceived was a true example of designer exploitation and empty hype. A real life case of the 'Emperor's New Clothes'. I can usually find something good to say about any perfume - even those I dislike intensely, but this had me seeing red. I wrote the most vitriolic, damning review I have ever written about a perfume - ever! And then sulked for a week... LOL!

I realise now that like DK New York, Caron Parfum Sacre and Acqua di Parma Profumo this is a rich scent that sits quite close to the skin. I have not, however, been inspired to retry it since. I think my review is still up at MUA if you are interested in reading my first visceral response.

Last edited by moondeva; 17th December 2006 at 01:14 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Wonderful thread Tovah, and wonderful descriptions.

Opone produced an eerie reaction in me. The tag line for it ("Rounding the cape where spices are grown, under full sail, bound for the fragrant gardens of roses and saffron.") haunted me for some reason. When I wore the fragrance, I felt I was there on that ship, headed to the ancient trading port of Opone. I could feel a warm wonderful sea wind whipping my clothes, the sky colored buff by a sandstorm spilling out to sea, vast ocean vistas stretching away to what seemed the edge of the world, and heard the creaking wood and hemp ropes. I could feel an equatorial atmosphere I've never encountered. I can't get enough of this scent sometimes. If there were any fragrance that causes the term 'past life' to make sense, it's this one. Then other times it sits on my skin like an ordinary perfume, doing nothing out of the ordinary. Pretty spooky stuff really, and I feel uncomfortable wearing it sometimes.

I am haunted by 24, Faubourg and Chanel No. 22. Something in there takes me back to the 1960s. It quite literally makes me feel like I am a child, safe and innocent.
    I flash back to being surrounded by the (then) young women who were my mother and her friends. They are all strong, happy, and carefree. They are having fun at their bowling league, wearing their dresses and bowling shoes, with their high heels stowed under the racks. Their big, extravagant cars are parked in the parking lot. It is the decade of the American Dream.
    No. 22 was a favorite of many women back then, even though it was launched in the 1920s. I still associate it with the actual smell of mink coats piled on a bed by guests at a house party. I would go into that room and examine the pelts, stroke them and bury my face in them. It is that "oily" smell of the aldehydes mixed with perfume that throws me back into childhood.
    On the other hand, 24, Faubourg was launched in 1995 so there is no explanation for its nostalgic appeal for me, unless it is some ingredient that mimics the "big" old perfumes--probably the tiare flower. Maybe my late-aunt used perfume with that flower. She was very fashionable and used to let us little girls go through her purse and put on her makeup.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

The bar soap (but not the perfume) of Diptyque's Ombre dans L'eau gives me emotion-shivers--stark beauty almost bordering on melancholy.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Tovah, what is AF D'Humeur Reveuse like? Have you got the entire coffret?

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7
    I am haunted by ...takes me back to the 1960s. It quite literally makes me feel like I am a child, safe and innocent.
    I still associate it with the actual smell of mink coats piled on a bed by guests at a house party. I would go into that room and examine the pelts, stroke them and bury my face in them. It is that "oily" smell of the aldehydes mixed with perfume that throws me back into childhood.
    You have just hit upon something in me that I haven't been able to fully understand yet, but I'm certain I know that exact "note", and it does the same thing for me. Strangely enough, it appears at the beginning of Sublime, which I just discovered. This "oily" smell brings back smells of minks, skinny cigarettes, cocktails, and strangely, wigs. All the women in my family wore wigs back then. One aunt, who fascinated me, had 68 wigs and she wore different ones to suit her moods. I thought she was the most elegant person in the world. She passed away when she was only 34 years old. I was six at the time, but when I smell those sweet, aldehydic, ambery notes that you've described I can bring back her image as though I saw her only yesterday. For me that note is the epitome of elegance and beauty. I love Chanel No. 22, and I need to revisit 24 Faubourg.

As I was reading these posts I remembered another visceral, powerful reaction: L'Heure Bleue made me deeply sad. I am terrified of this fragrance (despite it's remarkable beauty) because it has the ability to throw me into depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Irena
    Tovah, what is AF D'Humeur Reveuse like? Have you got the entire coffret?
    I don't have the entire coffret. I bought D'Humeur Reveuse on Ebay from the wonderful seller Frenchmaison. D'Humeur Reveuse was recommended to me here on Basenotes because of its similarity to the discontinued L'Artisan Extrait de Songes. I bought Humeur immediately and fell deeply in love. I'm not sure of its notes but it seems like sweet grass, hay, earthy green notes, and flowers (maybe orange blossom and tuberose?)...it's a fragrance in itself. Extrait de Songes has been re-launched as L'été en Douce, and I can't wait to get my hands on it.
    Last edited by Tovah; 17th December 2006 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41
    Ambre Sultan made my BF lick my hand. Does that count as visceral? I suppose that is HIS reaction. I still need to research this one.
    That's hilarious! Definitely visceral. *emitting baudy chuckle*

Quote Originally Posted by mochi227
    Black Orchid by Tom Ford. Transported me back to some time in 6th or 7th grade, playing in the forest near my school, and seeing a pink lady slipper. The visceral reaction is being filled by the feeling of discovering, mystery, and amazement. I really understand the connection between scent and memory so much better now.
    That is fascinating! And beautiful. I love Black Orchid as well. It's so emotionally charged it's almost shocking.

I can't believe I forgot to mention it, but Angelique Encens produced that feeling of mystery and amazement. I cried when I wore this the first time, too. I'd forgotten about it until your post. Wow.

In the earliest days of our whirlwind courtship I shared with my wonderful late husband the wonder and exuberance of "L'Heure Bleue" - that magical evening time - I'd experienced while living in Paris. For my birthday, he gave me my first- of how many? - bottle of L'Heure Bleue that remains my favoritest and brings on nostalgia, tender joyful recollections and some melancholy. The whole nine yards! :bounce:
    Last edited by TaoLady; 18th December 2006 at 12:53 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Apres L'Ondee; that cool quiet stillness of wet stones on the earth. This almost made me cry when I first smelled it; not from sadness, but from the sense of release from from noise and busyness of life into the sort of quiet that can only come from the mineral world, from ancient stones and soil.

L'Ombre dans L'Eau - this somehow reminds me of something from my childhood, and brings a sense/memory of being really very young, 4 or 5 or so, happy, unworried. I thought at first it might be something as simple as a Ribena-ish note but I am not sure it is a scent-memory at all, but an emotional memory - just as Quarry describes. Unfortunately as a scent it borders on the unwearable for me, just a bit too sharp, although I try it often as occasionally I find I can handle it!