Code of Conduct

Default Help choosing a cologne

I'm looking for a good fragrance to use, but I don't have too much of a knowledge of the good brands and all that. My girlfriend likes very masculine smelling colognes, so I guess that's my only preference at the moment. Price isn't really that big of a deal as long as it's reasonable and not some $300 a bottle stuff.

Crispy

Default Re: Help choosing a cologne

For "masculine smelling" stuff can you get a hold of Versace L'homme? What is available in your area?

Halston Z-14 and Halston I-12 come to mind as not being expensive

Do you mind wearing something that lots of other people are using?

Which is most important about a fragrance?
    1)makes you seem sexy
    2)makes you seem classy/fashionable
    3)makes people notice you

Answer those and the forum will be able to get a little closer to the mark.

Hey man welcome to the boards. I'll just name off some masculine colognes then and none of the light smelling aqua crap.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent
    Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent
    Rochas Man by Rochas
    Vetiver by Guerlein
    Gucci PH
    Gucci Envy
    D&G PH
    Antaeus by Chanel
    Touch by Burberry
    Bulgari PH
    Bulgari Black
    Vettiveru by CDG
    Michael by Michael Kors
    John Varvatos
    Lolita Lempicka au Masculin
    The Dreamer by Versace
    Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler
    Magnestism by Escada
    Angel for Men
    Dzing!
    Tea For Two

If the name of the game is masculine, look for...

Azzaro Pour Homme
    Loewe Esencia
    Paco Rabanne Pour Homme
    Caron Yatagan
    Guerlain Heritage
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    MPG Centaure
    MPG Santal Noble
    YSL Kouros

... and buy a new razor to control the extra chest hair growth that comes with these fragrances.
    Last edited by musky_monkey; 16th December 2006 at 02:34 AM.

Sorry - double post

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy129
    I'm looking for a good fragrance to use, but I don't have too much of a knowledge of the good brands and all that. My girlfriend likes very masculine smelling colognes, so I guess that's my only preference at the moment. Price isn't really that big of a deal as long as it's reasonable and not some $300 a bottle stuff.
    Crispy
    For something "very masculine" I would like to list a few that are in my collection:

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung
    KL Homme by Karl Lagerfeld
    Krizia Uomo by Krizia
    Jacomo de Jacomo by Jacomo
    Worth Pour Homme by Worth
    One Man Show by Jacques Bogart
    Paul Donnant by Paul Donnant
    Lomani by Lomani

These - my friend - are *real* masculine smelling!

The price tag is not high either.

My vote would go to Givenchy Gentleman — old box: white, with black pattern — as it is one of the most masculine fragrances around, but also subtle and beautiful. Wearing it right now, in fact, as my SOTD.

Either that or Azarro PH.

Your girlfriend will probably really like it (GG that is) — but you should test it out on her, as her idea of a classic masculine fragrance may differ. (She might be thinking Safari, or Polo Green, for all that we could tell.)

HTH

Crispy
    Reflecting for a minute on your question: I think you need to take some of the recommendations given here down and then try some out on yourself with her around (or maybe buy a couple of mini samplers and see what she likes). The trouble is that just saying "very masculine' is too open to interpretation and different tastes. Her associations with that phrase might conjur up something very different to what it conjurs for one of us. It might be Azarro, or it equally might be Safari — or it might be (God forbid) A*men!

HTH

Eluard

The best thing to do is to sample colognes at a store or order samples from places like perfumebay.com

No matter how much I read, I have to actually try on a cologne to see how it would smell when I wear it, how potent it is and how long it will last.

Thumbs up Re: Help choosing a cologne

To me a "masculine" scent suggests something which is not too sweet or "oriental", or has too much citrus in it.
    Two scents I know which fulfill that criteria would be Givenchy "Gentleman" and Guerlain "Mouchoir de Monsieur". N.B. the latter has initially a *very* strong, almost pungent civet smell, but after about 20 minutes it all rounds off into a very well-composed masculine scent. I suggest to try it first though, since this is quite an "Old School Scent" and very different from many of todays more "easy-going" perfumes.

Good luck!

James

Aramis - Aramis
    Givenchy Gentleman

I'd also like it to last a while, right now I have Johan B Black and it seems to fade away pretty fast (not sure if it's the cologne fading or me getting used to the smell after a few hours and not noticing it). I'd probably prefer one that makes me seem sexy, but feel free to include a few with an elegant fragrance as well.

Crispy

Lightbulb Re: Help choosing a cologne

I'd also like it to last a while, right now I have Johan B Black and it seems to fade away pretty fast (not sure if it's the cologne fading or me getting used to the smell after a few hours and not noticing it)...
    I'm familiar with Black by Johan.b. IMO, it is not a long-lasting fragrance. My take on this one is it has been made to mimic Armani Black Code. I'm impressed by one or two of the other fragrances by this designer.

Many of the other fragrances that have been mentioned in this thread will provide the wearer with:

A.) A better quality fragrance
    B.) A fragrance which yields better sillage and longevity

Johan.b Black will probably be better enjoyed by spraying an ample amount on initial application, and frequent re-application.

Ok, I'm definitely getting Givenchy Gentleman. I wanted to get one more and I'm stuck one either Allure Homme or Antaeus by Chanel. Gentleman is a good daily wear cologne (I think), and for the second one I'm looking for more of a sensual, sexy cologne for evening wear. Allure seems a bit more sensual, but it's hard for me to tell so I need the experts' opinion .

Thanks a bunch,
    Crispy

My opinion would be to go with Allure. I am not as familar with Antaeus, but I don't think it is more sexy or sensual than Allure. Hopefully you will get some additional opinions here.

I would definitely classify Antaeus as more "masculine-smelling," as in 80's-type fragrances.