Code of Conduct

Thread: Banana Notes

Default Banana Notes

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think there are any banana-based frags out there. When we refer to so many colognes as being "fruity", usually I imagine something "melony" in nature. What about banana notes? Earlier today I brewed a pot of banana/cinnamon tea, and the room smelled wonderful for a half hour. Considering how well this combo worked, I'm curious as to how banana could be incorporated into the fragrance world. Now that I think about it, banana popsicles are my favorite frozen treats as well! Hmmm....

Thrax

Default Re: Banana Notes

Lacoste Cool Play. Definate banana in the top note.

Give Beyond Paradise (EstéeL) a try. I think both the male and female's versions -the regular ones- have a fake banana note, even if it's not listed!. Someone once asked me if it might be the Jabuticaba fruit, but i think that one smells more like muscadine grapes. Could be the combo of other notes.
    I don't really think a "true banana" note could be found in a frag -yet

The closest to a banana frag I've encountered is Quasar by J. Del Pozo. However, the banana peel note is only present in the opening and fades rather quickly IMO.

I'm sure Comptoir Sud Pacifique makes something with Banana.
    Currently wearing: Fate Woman by Amouage

Certain notes should be left out of fragrances. Banana is one of them ... IMHO.

I can't imagine wanting to smell banana all day ...

Banana is actually a note I'd like to see utilized more. Good post!

Yes, Quasar by Julio Del Pozo. I agree that the scent is not terribly long-lasting, but it is a really beautiful fragrance. I think it's a CK Truth similar.

Trésore by Lancome has a distinct, clear and long lasting banana note in it.
    It is a feminine fragrance, but it could be suitable also for men, if you go light with it. Bye bye

I own a bottle of Vanille Banane by Comptoir Sud Pacifique. It's basically banane and vanille. I don't think it's a good choice for office wear, LOL, but I quite like it before bedtime.

Escada Sentiment!
    Peace ~ Markymark

such a huge difference between the smell of a real banana and the 'banana flavored". the thought of comptoir "doing" banana is kind of scary when I think of what their "cocoa" smells like

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    Certain notes should be left out of fragrances. Banana is one of them ... IMHO.
    I though so too for a long time, but then i can to the conclusion that a real banana whiff combined with let's say smoky almonds, a bit of caramel, lemon and honey wouldn't be that bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    such a huge difference between the smell of a real banana and the 'banana flavored". the thought of comptoir "doing" banana is kind of scary when I think of what their "cocoa" smells like
    Thank you! Exactly my sentiment.

I agree, CSP Vanille Banane starts weird to say the least .... :brolly:

But it changes to a solid sweet vanille scent with some bananas or the other way round. A fun fragrance. Not the first choice for a funeral. LOL!

H'm. I just got my bottle of Beyond Paradise Men and try as I might, I don't smell banana. In subtle concentrations though, I do like Banana.
    De gustibus non est disputandum
    Currently wearing: Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Here's another vote for something by Comptoir Sud Pacifique.

The problem with a banana note in mainstream frags is that the most common banana-scent chemical, iso-amyl acetate, is very short lived. Even the high concentrations found in artifical banana flavoring (you can buy it at the grocery store) fade away quickly.

I for one would not wear a banana scent.

-ben

Basenotes Plus

I strolled on over to the JCPenney/Sephora at the mall today and skin tested Vanille Banane by Comptour Sud Pacifique. Wow! Banana for days.

Here's the thing, this stuff lasts and lasts, but it is a bizarrely synthetic banana note. Because there are so many low quality fragrances utilizing banana on the market (hair conditioner, cheap candles, etc) the notes in VB remind me of these too much. I swear I felt like I smelled more like a room spray, than any other fragrance I've ever wore.

I also had this thought: If this is a synthetic/strong version of banana, could a larger perfume house (Creed, The Different Company, etc.) produce a more subtle, subdued banana note? And if so, would I be able to smell it and not associate it with inexpensive home fragrance products?

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I though so too for a long time, but then i can to the conclusion that a real banana whiff combined with let's say smoky almonds, a bit of caramel, lemon and honey wouldn't be that bad at all.
    Hmmmm.......sounds like someone's jonesing for a trip to Baker's Square........

Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed View Post
    I agree, CSP Vanille Banane starts weird to say the least .... :brolly:

But it changes to a solid sweet vanille scent with some bananas or the other way round. A fun fragrance. Not the first choice for a funeral. LOL!
    LOL! Exactly!

Patou's Sira des Indes has a clear greenish banana note. It's still a deal killer for me, as I loathe bananas but it is well done.

Basenotes Plus

Smelled Vanilia by L'Artisan Parfumeur tonight for the 1st time, and it's got a slight synthetic banana note to it - along with the burnt sugar/vanilla note.

Huh? Nobody's mentioned CK Escape?
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Creed's Acier Aluminum smells like banana's to me.

BeNeverTooBusytobeBeautiful has LadyBoy which is a unisex scent with banana.

I don´t smell the banana tbh. It reminded me of rotten fruit but there are people who swear it smells like banana.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Calvin Kliens Escape has a very beautiful Banana note on top...though it's not listed...im sure of it

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    Creed's Acier Aluminum smells like banana's to me.
    I second that, Acier Aluminium really smells like banana's, it's an amazing fragrance as well.

I have some Body Shop Banana Body Butter (try saying that while drunk) and that smells just like banana's, I don't know if they still sell it any more.

On a side note, you cannot beat a freshly made, real banana milkshake
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    Huh? Nobody's mentioned CK Escape?
    That's what I thought too when I read the thread. I smelled CK Escape a long while back but I remember of having liked the banana notes in it.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by libertine View Post

On a side note, you cannot beat a freshly made, real banana milkshake

Oohhh guess what I´m craving now!
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.