Code of Conduct

Default Black Orchid by tom Ford

I was offered a sample of this outrageously expensive perfume. I found it disgusting but I am not an expert in Synth fragrances, working with essential oils I mostly hate commercial frags. However I would be curious to know how normal noses rate it.

Default Re: Black Orchid by tom Ford

I just got a sample vial yesterday and as there seems to be a lot of different opinions on it here, I love it. Mmm. Its funny how our noses are so different.
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

I love Black Orchid, even if it's like a rotting chocolate-covered fruit smell wafting from a garbage can .
    Last edited by knightowl; 8th November 2007 at 03:53 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I just wore it yesterday (yes I'm a 30 year old guy) and it haunted me all day, in a good way. Smell an orchid, then smell this, and it's pretty amazing... they captured an orchid and wrapped it up in some interesting filth. love the description nightowl! hahaha...

The opening is sometimes too overwhelming for me but the drydown turns extremely unisex and intriguing to me. I think you should give it another try.. but a much lighter second try. It's SO potent.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

My wife finds it rancid and repulsive.
    I, on the other hand am addicted to the stuff. But alas, I couldn't pull it off.

I really want to try this one anyone can be kind and send me a tester??'
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Love it and wear it often (albeit with a light hand).

Regards,
    Steve

Basenotes Institution

Profumo I disagree with Black Orchid being 'outrageously expensive' - $90 for 50ml is in the mid-luxury price range, I could immediately name ten new fragrances that are all more expensive than Black Orchid.

You might want to read these old threads that have already discussed Black Orchid here:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200609
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190350
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=192254

Finally - yes the truffle note in Black Orchid can be off putting to many, especially since right before it fades it 'sticks out' even more so. However I love this note.

Marlen wrote a wonderful review of it on Perfume Critic a while ago here
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Add me to the list of Black Orchid lovers. Interesting opening and wonderful drydown. Long lasting and good sillage. What's not to like here?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Profumo I disagree with Black Orchid being 'outrageously expensive' - $90 for 50ml is in the mid-luxury price range, I could immediately name ten new fragrances that are all more expensive than Black Orchid.

You might want to read these old threads that have already discussed Black Orchid here:

here
    Ciao Mike, I hope we talk about the same perfume because it was at 500 euros a 30 ml bottle of EDP in Italy.
    They mentioned that the golden plated bottle increased the price but I did not imagine that it could amount for such a summ.
    Profumo
    www.profumo.it
    http://naturalperfume.blogspot.com/

BO (nót Body Odour this time) is tops...it's very sexy and lasts, but I'm not too sure about the sillage. Yesterday I sprayed about 5 shots to chest and neck, but I neither got any comments nor any complaints(!) at work. I think it will become one of those scents that I wear for myself even though I have an exhibitionist streak when it comes to perfume.

there is the .5 oz Perfume strength for 600 USD here, but 500 euros for 30 ml EDP, that's crazy! I was gifted the Perfume and it is wickedly wonderful. Very intense and deep as you might imagine. I love to wear it out when enjoying the night life.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...d=prod36080006

Quote Originally Posted by Profumo View Post
    Ciao Mike, I hope we talk about the same perfume because it was at 500 euros a 30 ml bottle of EDP in Italy.
    They mentioned that the golden plated bottle increased the price but I did not imagine that it could amount for such a summ.
    Profumo
    www.profumo.it
    http://naturalperfume.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by TheCure; 8th November 2007 at 06:10 PM.

I just got a sample from wonderful basenoter Kyra (thanks again!)

Despite the cheesy advertising for most Tom Ford products this does not evoke any connection with the Ford image/ hype.

I don't get much skank smell at all just some of that very delicious vanilla/ orchid.

I'd love to try the perfume! UGH!

Profumo, I guess you're talking either about the pure perfume or about a limited edition bottle - not that I know there was one in a 30 ml size .
    I am in Italy and got mine one year ago for about the same price mikeperez mentioned and it's the regular 50 ml EdP.

BTW, my "normal" nose loves Black Orchid and adores that overripe note...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

I wore Black Orchid to a friend's birthday party--I'm a guy. The waitresses at the restaurant kept asking what that amazing fragrance was. Later that evening walking down the street visiting art galleries, two women turned and asked what I was wearing.

For me it is a little too sharp at the top, but the drydown is amazing. Sometimes there's a deep amber, then orchid, charred wood, and something not to be discussed in polite company.

I save it for special occasions--particularly the more intimate ones.

I just got a sample in the mail of Black Orchid. I hope to have some compliments when I wear this.

I respect it but could never wear it in public. It's definitely not me.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I. Love. It.

I'm a woman, and I find the earthy truffle note is wonderfully sensuous. I bought a split of a bottle, but anticipate needing to purchase a full bottle.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

I am again smelling the box of balck orchid the inside of which I have sprayed when I started this thread, it is true that it smells of overripe melon, but still it goes over my head how anybody can wear that stuff, it just smells "chemical".
    Maybe this is in fact what a perfume today is just supposed to smell, chemical, and probably very few members of this group would enjoy wearing the simple scents of natural lavander or rose, just because it does not smell like perfume, it smells of countryside.
    AbdesSalaam Attar

Count me in as another fan of this scent.
    The juice is really addictive as some have mentioned, the thing is, i still can't decide if it's because it smells rather like an original as in never before made scent or if it's just because of its complicated beauty.
    I think it has an ugliness and a certain petulance that balances the thing quite nicely and you somehow feel compelled to be a follower.
    As i said a while ago, it's very much a hate it or love it scent. No wishy washy feeling towards this one!.

I just tried it today, small gift from Jock with Scents (thanks again!) - and I found it very interesting, yet the opening was a bit too sweet for me. Yet, it didn't last too long and then moved into nice woods, amber, and orchid. I enjoyed it very much, and after a while I wasn't sure about it, but the longer it lasted, the more I liked it. There was a little powdery note too... I'm not sure if it's my nose or the soft woods. I will try this again tomorrow. I tried it at work, and I got a few looks... though no verbal comments... perhaps tomorrow??!! :-)
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

I love Black Orchid. It is one of 2 of the top sillage scents for me. I've gotten more compliments from this scent than any that I own. I can still smell it on my clothes many days later and the dry down is my favorite.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

Sur la Plage

Thumbs up Re: Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I love Black Orchid! It is one of my all time favorite scents. I find it very distinctive - one of the many things I like about it. I get many compliments when I wear it. I also use the Hydrating Emulsion to layer the scent.

I couldn't find from the previous posts where is a good place to buy this (at the best price possible... unfortunately, my free funds are dipping a little now...). Any suggestions? I don't want much, just a small bottle because I sprayed just from a sample on my chest, and it lasted all day!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

I went to Saks in the summer and bought something by Jo Malone, and mentioned in passing my love for Black Orchid. After spending on the Malone I asked nicely for a sample and I was given one of the large vials that comes with a screw cap and velvet pouch. I've had it since August and it's still almost full. A little touch of the moistened cap to the neck and wrists is quite enough. These large samples are also sold on Ebay.
    Last edited by nthny; 6th December 2007 at 03:07 AM.