Code of Conduct

Thread: Which Poison?

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Which Poison?

Just wondering, which is the best/nicest of Diors Poisons?

Tommy x

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Which Poison?

Depends on who's answering! :bounce:

For me - right now - Hypnotic Poison - maybe part of that is a slight aversion to the original 'cause I have STRONG memories of my winter in Paris the year it was introduced and the entire city smelled of POISON!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Hehe! I have only smelled the original and it's a definite 80's fragrance!! Very strong! So maybe i should have a go with either Hypnotic Poison/Pure Poison/Elixir. I do quite like my strong perfumes (Kingdom, Boudoir Classique).

Tommy x

I've always loved the original Poison! None of the n re-editions has the same powerful and opulent evocative sexyness

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite, and the one i have owned two full-size bottles of is Pure Poison. I like to call this a dark, masculine floral.
    Awesomeguy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

At the time of writing, these are my favourite 'Poisons' in order of preference:

Poison - original and the best - strong, sensual, uncompromising, unforgettable, unique!
    Pure Poison / Elixir - I have not sampled the Elixir yet so I do not know how much it differs from the original Pure Poison. I am crazy about orange blossom at the moment and find this a very wearable, sexy blend great for day or night.
    Tendre Poison - This used to be my second best Poison but chemistry changes can do horrid things to a scent. I used to wear this many years ago when I was a smoker and I believe that helped to offset some of the extreme potency / sweetness of this perfume. It is a wonderful green, sultry tropical floral with the most captivating feminine sillage especially on warm balmy summer evenings. Many, many compliments and envious sighs. Alas now it is distinctly bug spray on me, with that unique 'too sweet noxious chemicals' smell throughout. Luckily, Gres Cabotine was the unmistakable inspiration for Tendre and more delicately crafted. I wear Cabotine when I want the same green, lush tropical experience without the mosquito / Raid accords.
    Hypnotic Poison - I really hate hype, so I have a lot of antipathy towards this scent. Ages ago when I tried this first I got a few of the grown-up sexy almond accords that so many rave about but by the time the scent faded away I was always left disappointed. But I have since discovered many perfumes that do the 'sexy, almost gourmand woods' style much better. I recently rtried and was bemused to find that this is more sweetened watered down male cologne then sexy gourmand and so it falls even further in my estimation. I would recommend Cacharel Gloria, Guerlain Samsara, Escada Collection, Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon, Caron Farnesiana, JC Scherrer Nuits Indiennes, Givenchy Organza Indecence, Diesel Zero Plus Masculine, and YSL Body Kouros before I even thought to recommend Hypnotic Poison.

You should also consider checking out the Dior Addict range with its potent sultry floral / vanille bourbon accords. Dior Addict (sexy oriental), Dior Addict Eau Fraiche (sultry floriental), and Dior Addict 2 (fresh fruity (grapefruit) floral) may work for you too.
    Last edited by moondeva; 17th December 2006 at 01:15 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I used to like the original but after half a bottle I was sick of it. I love Hypnotic Poison but I wouldn't wear it myself because the vanilla gets too loud on me after a while and drives me insane! But I do like it on others. And I don't like Pure Poison or Tendre Poison.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very fond of Hypnotic Poison. I've been wanting to try the Tendre Poison, but hearing it compared to Gres Cabotine cools my jets a bit. It TP that sweetly soprano?

Again, with the rec's and praise of the Dragon....I haven't tried that one either. I've been so remiss with my samples, I may have it...<begins digging in The Big Basket of Chaos aka samples>

Post Thanks / Like

I was i doubt about which one to go for between Hypnotic Poison and Poison a while ago.But it ended up that I got Pure Poison from my mom instead...Was a bit dissapointed since I felt it sort of dissapears on my skin after a while. It's nice for work and summer though,if you like white florals with lots of Jasmine.Poison was a bit of an experiment the first time I tried it. I found it very loud but loved the drydown. My favourite is Hypnotic Poison however. Love the woody quality, the Jasmine, almond and the slightly sweet smell in the drydown of vanilla.A very well blended scent IMO.Bought it a few months back and use it quite often.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. I went shopping today, and tried each poison. I found that the original was a really interesting scent, very loud, and not very me, but still i like the smell. Pure Poision is the one that i think i'd go for, although it seems to have disapeared on my skin quite quickly. Moondeva - I did try the Elixir today and i felt it was a stronger and sweeter scent. Quite nice! I also really liked Tendre Poison, it's a very mossy scent, that is quite strong at first but it has such a lovely clean dry down that i think i would also invest in it. The only one i really did not like was Hypnotic Poison, im not very keen on almondy smells, and it was very pungent at first. The dry down is nicer, but still not my type of scent. I've asked my mum for Elixir for Christmas, and i might buy some Tendre too

Tommy x

I've come to appreciate all of the four Poisons over time; although my favorite still continues to be Hypnotic Poison. If I had to rate them in order of preference:

1) Hypnotic Poison
    2) Poison
    3) Pure Poison
    4) Tendre Poison
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali