Code of Conduct
    Thrax

Default Oil to Alcohol ratios

Looking for EDP, EDT, and EDC strength!

Also what is the most oil that you would want? How dilluted is Parfum strength?

Default Re: Oil to Alcohol ratios

Usualy 20 to 40% of the perfume consists of the fragrance mix (oils and other fragrant materials).

Lightbulb Re: Oil to Alcohol ratios

The difference between perfume and cologne is merely the concentration. the descending levels of concentration are: perfume (30%); eau de perfume (15%); eau de toilette (8%); cologne (5%); and cologne splash (3%). The remainder is alcohol and water, or a carrier oil (for oil-based perfume).

Bye Bye : )

I am new at perfume making. How long should the oils and alcohol 'sit' for until ready? Also, why is my mix so cloudy?

The last batches I tried, I made my blends 25% oils to 75% alcohol. Either this was too strong for me or I used some oils I'm sensitive to, because the end results gave me some rashes (and it wasn't because some of the citrus oils have the photo-sensitive effect). I tend to think it was a little of both--too concentrated, and some oils that my skin reacts to. So, my next batches, I'm going back to 20% oil and 80% alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by bonniefabian
    I am new at perfume making. How long should the oils and alcohol 'sit' for until ready? Also, why is my mix so cloudy?
    Hi bonnie...it's totally up to you how long you let the oils and alcohol blend. For batches I've made, I usually let just the oils (without alcohol) "marry" for 2 weeks to 1 month. I'd say no less than 2 weeks, but 1 month is better, to give the oils time to unify, and this also makes the overall result smooth and full-bodied. Then, after you mix the oils with alcohol, let them sit and blend for at least 1 month. Again, the longer you let the blending occur, the smoother and more intense it'll be. If you only wait, say, 2 weeks after combining oils and alcohol and then wear it, you'll smell a lot of the alcohol; let it blend at least 1 month and you won't smell the alcohol so much...in fact, you probably won't smell the alcohol at all by that point.

One other point--some people who're really into blending pre-mix small bottles of a single oil with alcohol and let that sit for a month or so. Then when it comes time for them to make a blend, they pick and choose among all those single oil pre-mixes and they have a pretty good idea while mixing them how they'll turn out, because the alcohol is already mixed in and it lets them smell the notes better. I don't do this because it's more work than I want to do.

If you have a cloudy mix, it could be for a couple reasons. 1) It's natural for mixes to be cloudy if you combine certain oils--either oils that are cloudy by nature or produce cloudiness in combination with other oils. Combining some oils (for instance, lots of citrus oils) usually won't produce a cloudy condition. So, it may be natural for cloudiness to occur. Many times, the cloudiness will disappear or recede as weeks pass while you let it sit there and marry. Of course, swirling the bottles periodically will help to combine the oils, and that may help get rid of some of the cloudiness. 2) It could be due to something you did while combining the notes. For instance, one time I combined pure essential oils with other essential oils that had been pre-mixed with jojoba oil, and that made it cloudy. That didn't turn out so good, because that meant that I had jojoba oil mixing with alcohol (my chosen carrier).

Spicemeister, thank you so much for your informative reply to my post. I really appreciate your input which has cleared up things for me. I am really enjoying my new hobby of perfume making. I will be so pleased when I will eventually use my very own perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by bonniefabian View Post
    Spicemeister, thank you so much for your informative reply to my post. I really appreciate your input which has cleared up things for me. I am really enjoying my new hobby of perfume making. I will be so pleased when I will eventually use my very own perfume.
    Hi Bonnifabian, how are your perfumes going? I'm about to begin perfume making for the first time- at the moment reading as much as possible and taking random hints and notes

I've had a few problems with oils, CO2 extracts and perfumer's alcohol just not combining. I had used 15 percent essential oils, a high grade synthetic (2%) scent, and 5% CO2, and the rest was perfumer's alcohol. It has not been 6 weeks and the mix is "not getting along!" LOL It smells wonderful, a lavender/amber/cypress/palmarosa/patchouli/cedar mix, but I can't get past this problem.

Even though I do not like preservatives, I tried a small amount of Polysorbate 20 on part of the batch. Even that did not work. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by CEH View Post
    I've had a few problems with oils, CO2 extracts and perfumer's alcohol just not combining. I had used 15 percent essential oils, a high grade synthetic (2%) scent, and 5% CO2, and the rest was perfumer's alcohol. It has not been 6 weeks and the mix is "not getting along!" LOL It smells wonderful, a lavender/amber/cypress/palmarosa/patchouli/cedar mix, but I can't get past this problem.

Even though I do not like preservatives, I tried a small amount of Polysorbate 20 on part of the batch. Even that did not work. Suggestions?
    Are you shaking it every day?

The last batches I tried, I made my blends 25% oils to 75% alcohol. Either this was too strong for me or I used some oils I'm sensitive to, because the end results gave me some rashes (and it wasn't because some of the citrus oils have the photo-sensitive effect). I tend to think it was a little of both--too concentrated, and some oils that my skin reacts to. So, my next batches, I'm going back to 20% oil and 80% alcohol.
    Spicemeister, which oils did you use? Some dangerous ones that give reactions to many people, even if you only use very little, below recommended levels: cinnamon, clove, benzoin, Balsam of Peru and Tolu, Copaiba, Styrax, Opoponax, even Vanilla absolute can cause reactions because of common chemical compounds with Peru.

Looking for EDP, EDT, and EDC strength!
    It depends on the oils you're using -

I can't talk about synths, but in general using naturals, a concentration of 10% IS already a perfume, since floral absolutes are extremely concentrated! In one drop of Rose oil there is 30 Roses! If you'd throw in 30% of absolutes it can easily be that the nose cannot perceive the smell of the original plant, with rose oils for example. If they are more concentrated in a blend than a few percent, it will smell less of roses than with a lower concentration!

Some oils are always causing cloudyness that won't disappear, for instance ylang ylang and styrax. Co2 extracts often do not dissolve. The cloudyness can only be removed by thoroughly filtering.

About every other day . . .

how many drops of glygerin in a mix is ?