Code of Conduct
    nearfantastica

Default A turn for... the better?

Approximately 6 months ago, my uncle (who was essentially my mentor/ best male role model) passed away. Following his death... my aunt gave me many items of his... including three bottles of his Chanel Pour Monsieur Cologne Splash. It is possible that these bottles were 10+ years old to begin with, but it has become quite evident to me that the juice has turned. Interestingly, the sharp and vibrant citrus has been replaced with sort of feral "skunkiness" that I'm finding... quite appealing!. It adds a dirty, dark edge to an already very nice fragrance. ( I wouldn't necessarily say it became a superior fragrance, but one worthy of wearing, for sure..)

This got me wondering, do any basenoters out there have similar stories.. about a frag that turned or went "off" and actually developed into a "better" fragrance than its origninal, sparkling, spanking fresh sibling? I'd be interested to hear...

And just for kicks, which fragrance became the nastiest.. after it wore out its welcome?? I remember having a bottle of Xeryus Rouge turn on me... a fragrance I had already soured on, got insanely worse..

Responses welcome!

a.

Default Re: A turn for... the better?

Oh, that reminds me...

Before I sent off your Black Vetyver Cafe and Relax, I ran them through the dishwasher to make sure they were extra clean for you.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I'm not 100% sure, but I think people like Guerlain Vetiver in the old bottle more than in the new bottle, because it's old.
    Renato

I had a bottle of Tuscany aftershave splash, that I preferred once it got down to the last third - the sharper top notes were weaker, and the strong base was more prominent.

What does Xeryus Rouge smell like when it's old?

Quote Originally Posted by nearfantastica
    I remember having a bottle of Xeryus Rouge turn on me... a fragrance I had already soured on, got insanely worse..

a.

Reviving an old thread...

My bottle of Baldessarini Classic hasn't turned, per se (I think) but the notes have changed dramatically.. upon spraying I'm instantly hit by the aroma (stench?) of dried tobacco leaves soaked in lukewarm water.. that "wet" tobacco note.. it's so strong that it almost mutes out all the other notes.

It starts smelling divine from approximately the 5th minute from application, though... and i've started liking it even more than before
    Last edited by Amit; 15th February 2008 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Corrected a spelling mistake

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think people like Guerlain Vetiver in the old bottle more than in the new bottle, because it's old.
    Renato
    no, they like the old juice because it's a significantly different and much richer formulation. there are actually three formulations...the first was made in the mid-late 80's, the second from 96-99, and the current version which was made in 99. the new one is decent but the original is by far the most satisfying if you like vetiver.

--------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by nearfantastica View Post
    Approximately 6 months ago, my uncle (who was essentially my mentor/ best male role model) passed away. Following his death... my aunt gave me many items of his... including three bottles of his Chanel Pour Monsieur Cologne Splash. It is possible that these bottles were 10+ years old to begin with...
    Anthony,

Sorry about your uncle.

Vintage Pour Monsieur is much richer than the newer stuff. It contains a lot more oakmoss and that's probably what you're referring to as the skunky smell. Oakmoss doesn't necessarily smell skunky but it can be very sea-like, damp, earthy and even leathery. It can come across as being pretty stinky. I own several bottles of the original Pour Monsieur (they're various ages with some as old as thirty years plus) and they all smell basically the same. The newer stuff (also discontinued) was slightly reformulated/attentuated, is more citrusy and in general just lacks the base and depth of the original.

I've noticed that some fixative and animalic materials (esp. castoreum) become more prominent with age. Mainly those molecules just last longer so they can tend to stand out more even if other ingredients may or may not significantly weaken. The Ted Lapidus Pour Homme (1978) I've been wearing smells incredible but has the strongest oakmoss I've ever smelled in a fragrance. During the final drydown it can smell almost like pure oakmoss.
    Last edited by pluran; 15th February 2008 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost