Code of Conduct

Default Newbie needs suggestions for new cologne

Like many people, I have been using Armani's Acqua di gio for the past 4-5 years. Now that everyone is wearing it, I would like to try something else. However, my girlfriend really likes the smell of ADG, so is there something similar you would recommend?

Thanks!

Default Re: Newbie needs suggestions for new cologne

welcome. search the site and you will find tons of suggestions. you might start here:

http://community.basenotes.net/forumdisplay.php?f=24
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190638

maybe try curve or MI.
    Last edited by liquid; 18th December 2006 at 08:46 PM.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I would personally recommend staying the hell away from anything similar to AdG, perhaps going towards a more wood oriental fragrance. The Burberry line is a great place to start in my opinion.

Thanks! After some searching around, I've decided to try:
    Green Irish Tweed by Creed
    Millesime Imperial by Creed
    Thierry Mugler's A*Men.
    Halston Unbound

I was wondering where I can get samples of those... I dont think places like Macy's will have them, or do they?

Quote Originally Posted by Usodarake
    Thierry Mugler's A*Men.
    Halston Unbound

I was wondering where I can get samples of those... I dont think places like Macy's will have them, or do they?
    For the Creed's and A*Men I would recommend trying Neiman Marcus if you have one near you, if not I can send you A*Men and I'm sure other members would be willing to sell you decants of the Creed's.

nearfantastica

if she's a fan of the gio... you could move to something light, but a little more complex.... Armani's Code.. is not a far step, but might offer you enough of the sexy/sweet oriental touch that makes it worth owning... as with "gio".. it's a very versatile scent... rather non-offensive. Let me put it this way.. I've never met anyone who "hated" this fragrance...

Another fresh type fragrance with a little more substance than your current choice would be Bulgari Aqua.. which is a marine based aquatic fragrance that is quite smooth and refreshing but not as "bright" as the "gio". Baldessarini Del Mar may be another good suggestion if you are looking for a designer fragrance that's easily found and shouldn't break the budget. Happy by Clinique is another, along the same lines...

If you want to branch out into more "daring" territory.. you might try something a little sweeter or more powdery like Burberry Brit, which essentially.. smells like a masculine talc powder with a vanilla base and slight hint of rose....

others here have reccomended some very good suggestions... but for risk of overwhelming you with high-end frags you've likely never heard.... I really suggest you try the Code... I think it will serve you well...

That being said, if you are looking to jump right onto the Niche bandwagon.. I concur completely that Creed's Green Irish Tweed and Millesime Imperial are both choices that should rock you and your gf's world.

enjoy.

a.

I'll agree with nearfantasica, Armani Code is an amazing fragrance. I find it to be one of the most versatile ones I own, I just wish I liked the top notes more.

I suggest giving Terre d'Hermes a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Usodarake
    Thierry Mugler's A*Men.
    Halston Unbound

Good choices

2 Suggestions

1. Buy Decants with the spray/atomizers. These more accurately reflect the longevity of the fragrance then a roll on/splash bottle (Note: The actual fragrance will still last longer than the decant)

2. DO NOT BUY CREEDS ON EBAY WITHOUT HELP. This board has many threads and tools that you can use to find legitimate Creed sellers. Creed is a very very commonly faked fragrance. Don't get had.

Eau Sauvage