Code of Conduct

Default What notes do you like (on women)?

Hello.

I'm a new member and I've never posted before. I don't know all the rules yet so please excuse me if I make any unintended mistakes.

This is probably something you have been asked many times, but can you tell me what scents you like smelling on women? I mean notes and scent categories, not actual perfumes. For example, do you prefer jasmine or amber, gourmands or florals... etc...? I'm not looking for actual perfume recommendations, just a general area to steer towards.

I love men in sandalwood and the smell has positive associations for me. For example: TBS Activist or C&E Evelyn. Something about a man in sandalwood makes me want to be around him - it's cosy and sophisticated at the same time. I was wondering if any of you felt the same way about a scent on a woman?

Also, what type of woman (okay, so we might be stereotyping here, I apologise) do the different categories evoke: floral, floriental, fruity, chypre, woody, gourmand, musk etc...?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What notes do you like (on women)?

WELCOME, MysteryFemme!! :wave:

I love sandalwood but much prefer it on me! Personally, I find leather chypre and fougere blends irresistible on a man - even more so if they happen to be a public school, preppy, professional type! *swoon*

erm.., where was I?

I would be very interested to see the variety of responses to this thread as there are many different types of men. I will be particularly interested in the responses from successful, affluent, preppy professional types...

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Smile Re: What notes do you like (on women)?

Moondeva!

I just figured out how to use basenotes - almost. It's a little more complicated than I'm used to but it's fun.

I like the preppy professional type too... although sometimes I like the kind of guy who haunts used records stores and plays video games. I'm also partial to a man who can read, write, or appreciate poetry... but now I'm not talking about perfume anymore!

More on topic: my dentist was wearing TBS Nut Body Butter and he smelled of cookies - delicious. Unfortunately he also looks like a vampire.

Thank you for being the first member to reply to my first post! :-)
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 19th December 2006 at 12:16 PM.

All right, enough swooning in the Male Fragrance Discussion Board!

Let's see now, I'm absolutely ga-ga over Black Cashmere by Karan and Light Blue by D&G on the missus. This must mean I like spice, incense, and lemon batter!
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Basenotes Plus

Vanilla, Vanilla and then some more Vanilla

I like it on my wife. Another woman might be wearing something else someday and I'll change my mind but Vanilla comes off perfectly with my wifes chemistry. I think it's wrong to corral someone into wearing something because you like it, or I like it.

A long time ago I asked her if she wanted Poison and she told me she'd never wear it. I bought her Jean Patou's Joy, she never opened it.

she wears Guerlain's Shalimar.
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

I like to smell scents on a woman which seem right for her, which fit her character and look. The scent is then attractive because it shows a woman who is in touch with herself and not trying to be something she is not, which is never attractive. Vetiver smells fantastic on my wife, she is a very earthy character (lucky me )

Something which demonstrates you are "comfortable in your skin" is the way to go
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I still love the really sharp alcohol note (or whatever it is) in D&G's Light Blue and Moschino's I Love Love. I know these fragrances are probably as ubiquitous as Aqua Di Gio is for men, but I still fall for that note every time. I have been searching for the equivalent in a men's or unisex fragrance - it is there a bit in CK One Scene.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    I like to smell scents on a woman which seem right for her, which fit her character and look. The scent is then attractive because it shows a woman who is in touch with herself and not trying to be something she is not, which is never attractive. Vetiver smells fantastic on my wife, she is a very earthy character (lucky me )

Something which demonstrates you are "comfortable in your skin" is the way to go
    Get out of my head!!! I couldn't have put that any better.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Vanilla/gourmand scents.....Whoops! That's what I like on my self too.

And, welcome to BN young Lady .

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Wink Re: What notes do you like (on women)?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    Vanilla/gourmand scents.....Whoops! That's what I like on my self too.

And, welcome to BN young Lady .

Dan

Thanks Dan! I'm not that young, actually. Maybe just young at heart.

Talking Re: What notes do you like (on women)?

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder

I couldn't have put it better myself. I suppose then, that certain fragrances reflect certain character tendencies? Would a certain type of person wear vetiver (you said earthy), as oppposed to a floral or a gourmand fragrance?

Finally... how do you put the little smiley icon into the body of the text instead of the title header?
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 19th December 2006 at 11:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryFemme
    I couldn't have put it better myself. I suppose then, that certain fragrances reflect certain character tendencies? Would a certain type of person wear vetiver (you said earthy), as oppposed to a floral or a gourmand fragrance?
    Well...for example I tend to go for more masculine fragrances. I definitely think it reflects my character. I'm a bit on the masculine side, myself, lol. But I like a WIDE VARIETY of masculine fragrances. My favorites are citruses/aquatics (like Clinique Happy and Kenneth Cole Reaction) and vanilla-y frags (like Bvlgari Black and Gaultier2).
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Hello.

I'm a new member and I've never posted before. I don't know all the rules yet so please excuse me if I make any unintended mistakes.

This is probably something you have been asked many times, but can you tell me what scents you like smelling on women? I mean notes and scent categories, not actual perfumes. For example, do you prefer jasmine or amber, gourmands or florals... etc...? I'm not looking for actual perfume recommendations, just a general area to steer towards.

I love men in sandalwood and the smell has positive associations for me. For example: TBS Activist or C&E Evelyn. Something about a man in sandalwood makes me want to be around him - it's cosy and sophisticated at the same time. I was wondering if any of you felt the same way about a scent on a woman?

Also, what type of woman (okay, so we might be stereotyping here, I apologise) do the different categories evoke: floral, floriental, fruity, chypre, woody, gourmand, musk etc...?
    A touch of leather never goes astray! Pity it's so rare these days.

But also vanilla and amber, of course.

Personally I can do without the fruit, particularly when it verges on a fruit cocktail mess. But fruit of any kind is not good for me. (Though just to contradict myself, one of the best things I ever smelled on a girl was Tresor by Lancome.)

I have never "gotten" Chanel no. 5. To me it is one of the least sexual fragrances ever. I imagine that it would be the fragrance of choice for a slab of marble or granite or feldspar. I had to put up with it for many years as it was all an ex-girlfriend ever wore.

Finally... how do you put the little smiley icon into the body of the text instead of the title header?
    Go to the FAQ and look under posting to threads.

One of my favorites is Cashmere Mist by DK. It does have a powdery finish, but it's far more complex than some of the reviews suggest. What I like most about it is that isn't sweet or overly floral. It's very classy and inoffensive.

Oh, yeah...Happy brings out the caveman in me
    Last edited by CuyahogaJoe; 20th December 2006 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluard
    A touch of leather never goes astray! Pity it's so rare these days.

But also vanilla and amber, of course.

Personally I can do without the fruit, particularly when it verges on a fruit cocktail mess. But fruit of any kind is not good for me. (Though just to contradict myself, one of the best things I ever smelled on a girl was Tresor by Lancome.)

I have never "gotten" Chanel no. 5. To me it is one of the least sexual fragrances ever. I imagine that it would be the fragrance of choice for a slab of marble or granite or feldspar. I had to put up with it for many years as it was all an ex-girlfriend ever wore.
    Eluard,

Thank you for your reply. I might be your ex-girlfriend! Lol! No. 5 is a staple in my wardrobe. I've been trying to branch out to different things and the only fragrances I seem to feel comfortable wearing are woods. I would like to get something green this summer - maybe Mitsouko - but my chemistry is difficult. It's also occurred to me that wearing No. 5 all the time will remind other people of their exes or parents... and I'm also a little bored... maybe I'll try Egoiste. I know it's a fragrance for men but I like the way it smells. I hope people don't start saying. "That woman smells like a dude!" (I work with teens and they get mouthy.) Maybe I'll try Cuir de Russe instead. I like that one too.

I share your opinion about fruit. I don't like fruit in men's fragrances. I don't like the combination of fruit and patch in a man's scent (that is must my preference - no offence meant to anyone who likes that combination).
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 21st December 2006 at 11:48 AM.

Eluard,

Thank you for your reply. I might be your ex-girlfriend! Lol!
    Ha! Yes, I thought you might be: your earlier description of your preference fitted me like a police apb. Most suspicious!

Oh puhleeeze, wear Egoiste! It's a great perfume, male or female. :-)
    De gustibus non est disputandum

I like the white musk note in D&G Light Blue. In fact, I like the whole fragrance, but it's that one note that I can recognize in other frags that makes it for me.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

I love jasmine, and white musk the most on my girlfriend at this point.

Hmm. I like jasmine. Maybe I'll try A La Nuit. I'm not sure I like the Egoiste bottle and the name is rather unfortunate.

Thanks everyone for replying to my first post!
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 21st December 2006 at 11:47 AM.

Vanilla and Amber.

-Sloan