Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cultural observations on England, Part 1

Just got back from "holiday" to England. I was in both London and Manchester. First thing you notice is that frag ads are everywhere - bus stops, subways, even on the side of taxi's. Think I saw about 25 ads for 212 Herrara & Paco Ultraviolet before I even checked into my hotel! Talk about marketing! Herrera & Paco must spend a small fortune on advertising in the UK.

After a quick stroll from the hotel, I see a store called Boots. On the face of it, it appears to be a normal everyday drugstore. Walk in and they're stocked with hundreds of scents including the complete Chanel line! Would you like Antaeus with your Q-tips, sir?

In addition to 212 Men being advertised everywhere and on every Londoner's neck, Joop Jump, Paco Black XS, & Dior Homme seemed to be in every store including the drug stores. Now, I quite like Joop Jump, Dior Homme and 212 Men, I even brought Jump with me which I wish I hadn't but these scents with the exception of 212 Men, they don't sell squat in the US. I can't ever remember seeing seeing Jump or Black XS in a US store. And Dior Homme failed miserably here. Nice to see it so prominently in England.

Anyway, I'll continue my thoughts (Niche, Harrods, M7 Fresh, Opium Edp) in another post.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cultural observations on England, Part 1

I think they are so heavy on advertising here due to the fact that British men (especially Scots) still associate fragrance with femininity. Amercian men are FAR more advanced when it comes to grooming.

When I was 15 at school I wore Drakkar and Cacharel Pour Homme. 2 comments stuck in my mind

1) A fellow class"mate" said "you wearing that poof juice again" - poof = fag

2) A "girl" in my class said "you smell nice, what you wearing?" "Cacharel" I replied. "isnt that for women?" "No" I replied "Its Cacharel Pour Homme" "Ooooh, pour HOMOSEXUAL"

How I "love" my fellow Scots.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the Chavs were all into Burberry?

No Burberry adds?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGy2V...elated&search=

Post Thanks / Like

Burberry ? That's over here like crazy!
    Probably in continental Europe there is not as much advertising as has been observed by the original poster. But scentwise - the same for all of Europe, I believe! EXCEPT: other than Burberry, there are no British cologne brands in perfume shops or department stores, not even in those who carry a lot of Guerlain, Dior YSL etc...

England could, for some reason, be test market for certain foreign brands, and an experimental area for advertisers. I think that is a possibility.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy
    Just got back from "holiday" to England. I was in both London and Manchester. First thing you notice is that frag ads are everywhere - bus stops, subways, even on the side of taxi's. Think I saw about 25 ads for 212 Herrara & Paco Ultraviolet before I even checked into my hotel! Talk about marketing! Herrera & Paco must spend a small fortune on advertising in the UK.
    The heavy advertising is mainly because of Christmas, every other advert on TV at the moment is for fragrance. It's the ultimate lazy but thoughtful present after the gift voucher.

I would expect the advertising overkill has to do with this time of year - it's something of a once-a-year tradition among the non-scentophile British public to buy or be bought a bottle of something for Christmas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    I think they are so heavy on advertising here due to the fact that British men (especially Scots) still associate fragrance with femininity. Amercian men are FAR more advanced when it comes to grooming.

When I was 15 at school I wore Drakkar and Cacharel Pour Homme. 2 comments stuck in my mind

1) A fellow class"mate" said "you wearing that poof juice again" - poof = fag

2) A "girl" in my class said "you smell nice, what you wearing?" "Cacharel" I replied. "isnt that for women?" "No" I replied "Its Cacharel Pour Homme" "Ooooh, pour HOMOSEXUAL"

How I "love" my fellow Scots.
    Yes, and that is the reason also that mens perfume is always called aftershave. Shaving is a manly activity therefore diminishing the "poof" quotient.

On another note, lots of my friends still call it poof-juice despite a lack of homophobia.

As an aside - I was working in scotland last april. I was there for a few days. When I first started mixing with people, I was the only one wearing perfume. The next day, all the men had got their edts out for the lads. The dirty southern softy tuned poof juice facilitator
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I hope you tried some of prince charles' scrupmtious "duchy originals" cookies!

they make peppridge farm seem like "mother's"

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta say, Duchy originals could almost turn this republican* into a monarchist .

But they are BISCUITS, not cookies.

*edit - thats a euro republican, not a us republican

edit 2 - did you try the dark chocolate orange biscuits?
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 20th December 2006 at 12:19 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

do they display ads on the sides of buildings?

we've had Calvin Klein ads on the sides of 10 story buildings in NYC for many years.