Code of Conduct

Default Shopping shelves review 3: Kiehl's Original Musk EdT

Kiehlís Original Musk edt. Went on nice, and yeah baby, this is musk, they got that right. I know the popular connotations of musk--hairy chest, neck ornamentation, muscle cars, pants tight around the crotch, and Burt Reynolds moustaches, but I get something else from it. I smell 80s power suits in musk, high quality luggage, choices about when you unfold the restaurantís white napkin (upon sitting down or upon drink or appetizer course arrival) in restaurants with copper light and railings in the eating space. Dark fine point ties on white shirts. Musk makes me think of luxury indulgence in the era when Ralph Lauren taught pop American culture about clubbiness, preppieness, and made the wealthy bourgeoisie back into the petty bourgeoisie all over again, because now you needed some crest on your stupid blue jacket. Musk smells like where people went out at this time and did it right, not pop.

Kiehlís gets this and I almost had to have it. But I wore a shot of it on my wrist instead, to see how it would go.

Powerful for hours. Even today, after washing the dishes last night, cooking dinner, sleeping, and shower, itís still on the back of my hand. But it gets linear and falls a bit dull. Stays dull. Itís got the same regrettable lingering that a smelly dog does. It doesnít smell like smelly dog, but you know when a dog is smelly and around you, and you like the dog, you just wish it didnít smell that way. Every time you smell it you simply wish it didnít have to keep smelling that way. Wish somehow it could suddenly be different. Thatís what Kiehlís Musk in edt does. You just wish it would be something, and you wonder why the world has to have this nice dog be so dull.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: Shopping shelves review 3: Kiehl's Original Musk EdT

Nice review! I found the stuff to be way to sweet and cloying. I do appreciate how the scent of musk can transport you to thoughts of luxury indulgences, because that is what Santa Maria Novella's Muschio does for me. Very classy stuff, IMO. Check it out.

You should try the oil! It turns a somewhat smutty (...in a nice way!) on me. I love the oil, but never tried the edt. I wish I can find it locally.

S

I'm definetly not a Kiehl's Musk guy.
    (Rain Man voice) Definetly not.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I like Kiehl's, but it does have less dimensionality, to the point where I would nearly agree with your "linear" statement.

The other musks that I've smelled and adored (Muscs Koublai Khan, Musc Ravageur) are fantastic and complex, but they cost at least three times as much.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Powerful for hours. Even today, after washing the dishes last night, cooking dinner, sleeping, and shower, itís still on the back of my hand. But it gets linear and falls a bit dull. Stays dull. Itís got the same regrettable lingering that a smelly dog does. It doesnít smell like smelly dog, but you know when a dog is smelly and around you, and you like the dog, you just wish it didnít smell that way. Every time you smell it you simply wish it didnít have to keep smelling that way. Wish somehow it could suddenly be different. Thatís what Kiehlís Musk in edt does. You just wish it would be something, and you wonder why the world has to have this nice dog be so dull.
    --Chris
    Nice! This sums up my experience with Kiehl's. I like it at first. Then it just grates on me. I don't know if it's the rose or the musk, or the combo, or the fact that the combo never seems to go anywhere or do anything, but something about it just gets to me after a few hours. It really does smell to me like a linear-wearing, less extreme version of MKK.

Ah, Kiehl's...

The first time I smelled it, I was struck by its similarity to Jovan Musk (the female version). My step-mother wore JM during my entire childhood, so you can imagine the baggage that Kiehl's might have for me.

But then something shifted inside me, and I lost all inhibitions about my scents. I experienced a scent-solipsism, if you will. After that, I could enjoy K.O.M. for what it was.

And then one day last summer, Markinlondon compared K.O.M. to a girl's dirty bike seat, and I cannot for the life of me get over that association. So now Kiehl's reminds me of women's underthings. Seriously- if you say 'Kiehl's', my mind thinks 'bike seat'.

The only thing I really use it for is scenting my sheets, since it lasts for ages on fabric. This stuff has unbelievable longevity for an EdT. Unfortunately for the Kiehl's, I've been using GIT to scent my sheets as of late (due to a certain someone's preference).

Lovely bottle, though.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe