Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances for the Desperate People Bars

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter
    Let's start a 'fragrances for the desperate people bars' thread! It's the season...
    Pieter suggested this in the Cartier Déclaration thread, and I thought I would beat him to starting the thread-o-desperation.

There are so many different types of desperate people bars. If we're all lucky we've been in them. Sometimes they're corner places with regulars, sometimes they're packed meat markets. Sometimes the bartender is a good guy and gives that non-decisive type of bartender advice, sometimes the female bartenders have a shirt with a ripped edge on it and make a lot of money in tips. Sometimes there's dancing, sometimes there's heavy guts out of untucked shirts. There are many types of desperate people bars.

I'm not asking what scent will get you laid. I don't believe a scent will do that--I am not asking that usual and very dumb question. Scents won't make desperate people in bars less desperate--desperation will follow the human condition wherever and for as long as it runs.

But in these bars, what scents would you think suddenly tasteful and appropriate? What would make you, all you scent-savvy aficionados, lift up your nose and look around or at the person with a sudden fitting respect, yet still have the scent "fit" somehow in the atmosphere? (I'm not talking about how we'd all be surprised and respectful smelling the jet-set stuff we like and crave, I'm talking about non-aficionado scents that would not smell desperate, not smell cliché, not bring a scoff of "oh yeah that dreck.")

For me, I think Fendi Uomo would make me want to pass out the high-five to the wearer. Not like everyone, but somehow on the edge of availability and tackiness. No tackiness, actually, come to think of it, leather, patchouli, powder, and a great aura.

(Sorry for the long introduction, I wanted to make a thread that's different.)
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: Fragrances for the Desperate People Bars

In a situation like that I would definitely buy a drink to someone wearing

Azzaro Pour Homme

I would be VERY impressed by a person sitting in front of a glass of Barolo red wine staring into space and wearing Voleur de Roses.
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

Damn, good suggestions. I'd buy Azzaro PH and VdR drinks too. Especially VdR staring into space--man, you know there's a great story behind that.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

not sure if I've got the idea exactly, so I'm going to use the splatter method:

gee, interesting person/story:
    L'Homme Sage

seems classier than I would expect for this place:
    JHL

fits right in, a natural match:
    Old Spice or Stetson (Brut if you are really slumming)

I would be impressed with someone wearing Aramis - Surface, or Always him.

I think I would stand up and take notice also to someone wearing Cuba - Red,
    Escada Pour Homme, or Magnetism. Maybe Perry Ellis M also.

I myself would be wearing wayyyy toooo much Body Kouros.

Nicole Miller for Men I think. Yes.

VdR definitely.

Santal Noble maybe?

DK Fuel on a man (getting some of this for myself is my current obsession).
    *edit* Hell, I'd even buy him a drink or two for a small decant!

D&G Femme (red cap) on a woman. This ALWAYS gets my attention, and is sufficiently loud to be sensed in a crowded bar. Some will say it screams, "floozy", but oh how it works on me!

*edit* Runner Up: Cinnabar - tacky and tasteful all in one scent - and it definitely commands attention!
    No wingman required for this one... Just swagger on over and say what's on your mind...
    Don't be offended if she doesn't notice you at first. You might just need to pack some Gucci Envy and an extra sock

Paul
    Last edited by Scentsibility; 22nd December 2006 at 02:22 AM.
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

Passage d'Enfer I think would make me respect a man for his sensibility.

On a woman: Tommy Girl is one of the sexiest things I have ever smelled on a girl. (Yes, the name is crap, the package is crap, the marketting is crap — but oh what a scent!) In a dive bar I think it would attract me instantly!

Eluard

nearfantastica

Without question.... MPG's Parfum D'Habit...

a.

Dive bars for desperate people. Nice! :-)

I have absolutely no idea what it's like to be desperate (ahem!) but if I were, I'd wear Azzaro.

By the way, L'Homme Sage. In a dive bar!?! Say it ain't so!
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Gucci PH, in a cigar bar, drinking Scotch (Macallan, Ardberg, or Tomintoul),neat.

-Sloan

Desperate bars...hmm let's see...

I can picture some over-weight sweaty middle-aged guy, polo shirt untucked, pants too tight with love handles popping out, face red as a tomato, stumbling around the bar. His cologne of choice? Old Spice!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    His cologne of choice? Old Spice!
    Adds a whole new meaning to it, doesn't it? Chanels are good - they still exude sophistication when the wearer can't.