Code of Conduct

Default Good Service from Malle

I posted this also on an existing thread in the "Just starting out" forum, but I just wanted to recommend to Bnoters to give the Malle website and its "choose your perfume" questionaire a try.

I had fun filling it out, not expecting a lot (I've filled out tons of questionaires for everything from leather jackets to fragrances to VCR's... and am impressed if I even get a thank you coupon). Anyway, the day after I received a communication from a Malle rep with two suggestions. She asked me to give her my address and she said she'd send me a sample. Well, lo and behold in today's mail were two nicely wrapped 5ml atomizers, one of Bigarade Concentree and one of Vetiver Extraordinaire, along with a Malle pricelist/order form and a thank you note on nice Malle stationary (the stationary didn't smell like a Malle fragrance, unfortunately). j/k

Pretty impressive, overall, considering I emailed them blindly online. Not to mention that the entire turnaround from filling out the form to getting the samples was only 10 days (and it came from France).

So, definitely give it a try. There's no guarantee you'll get samples, I guess, but it wouldn't hurt... and it's sort of fun to see what fragrance they recommend given your answers. I expected them to recommend something a little more dark and earthy, but strangely the ones they recommended (especially the Vetiver), seemed spot on for me.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Default Re: Good Service from Malle

Thanks, rach, I'll give it a try.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

I second their great service !! I received the same samples and information, plus Musc Ravageur (which i'm wearing today) which I specificly requested - and they sent them all VERY quickly !! The Vetiver seemed too light on me, but very nice. The MR i'm loving today, and i'm waiting for the right occasion to wear the Bigarade, though I gave it a sniff and do like it. Great people and great scents !

Quote Originally Posted by McD
    I second their great service !! Great people and great scents !
    Glad to hear it! Maybe those living in the NYC area that have been told that Malle doesn't ship samples to their area should tell them back at the "home office" just how rude the Barney's SA's are and how stingy with their samples. Maybe they'd change their policy, haha.

But, US dept. store SA service can be really strange and I've only had this experience in the USA. Sometimes, they are wonderfully accomodating, other times... well, not. I had a Neiman's associate at the Creed counter once who was so nice that she made up large 5ml samples of probably half a dozen or more fragrances and talked with me for probably 20 minutes. But, another time at a different Neimans, it was like I had to have an act of Congress to get her to let me sniff anything (finally, she said she'd "put something in a little complimentary bag" and when I left I opened it to reveal a 1ml Hugo Boss. That was just adding insult to injury ).

I never had that experience in France or, especially, in Japan.

John
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 22nd December 2006 at 05:33 PM.

Seconded - I filled out their online questionnaire, got an e-mail reply a day or so later, then two samples with a handwritten note thanking me for my interest in F. Malle.

They sent their Angelique and Vetiver scents. Not a fan of either, but the service was so good that I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them - should I need a gift or find another scent that does work for me.

Also thumbs up to Ormonde Jayne for their samples, gratis!

Thumbs up Re: Good Service from Malle

I received two samples yesterday, along with the note and the price list. Very nice. The samples I received were MR and Noir Epices. I plan to try MR today.

Sounds better than the service I received in their Paris store, in October. Of all the manufacturers store's I visited, this was the least impressive. One employee present (on a Saturday afternoon), no samples offered (after I made a purchase), off-hand and surly, too. All in all, a shame. Contrast this with the Creed and Anick Goutal stores (among others) who were the epitomy of helpful and pleasant. Nice fragrance, though

I filled out the questionaire on Wednesday afternoon and received an email response yesterday morning. I sent them my mailing address, but didn't get an email reply. I will wait to see if they send me something. They recommended Noir Epices and the Vetiver.

I think we need a, "Hacking the Malle Questionaire", thread.

I told them I wanted something to evoke a polished and fresh feeling at work, and also a warm intimate fragrance for seduction. I was hoping for the Vetiver and Musc Ravageur. Instead, Helene obviously chose the Noir for my "seductive" scent.

I think the, "What fragrances have marked you?", question is important as well. I answered Santos de Cartier (truth) and Guerlain Vetiver (a lie to steer them toward the Vetiver).

Ethical? Perhaps not. But if I like one of them enough, I will buy a full bottle.
    “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”

~ Robert Brault

Arrived home this evening after some serious christmas shopping , only to find a package from Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. Great stuff ! i open the package to reveal two samples, Brigarade Concentree and Angeliques sous la Pluie. Shame the ASLP got smashed in the post !
    Completed the online questionaire about ten days ago and then e-mailed them my address.
    Well worth completing the questionaire seeing as you might get some free samples !

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsibility
    I filled out the questionaire on Wednesday afternoon and received an email response yesterday morning. I sent them my mailing address, but didn't get an email reply. I will wait to see if they send me something. They recommended Noir Epices and the Vetiver.

I think we need a, "Hacking the Malle Questionaire", thread.

I told them I wanted something to evoke a polished and fresh feeling at work, and also a warm intimate fragrance for seduction. I was hoping for the Vetiver and Musc Ravageur. Instead, Helene obviously chose the Noir for my "seductive" scent.

I think the, "What fragrances have marked you?", question is important as well. I answered Santos de Cartier (truth) and Guerlain Vetiver (a lie to steer them toward the Vetiver).

Ethical? Perhaps not. But if I like one of them enough, I will buy a full bottle.
    Rest assurred, they're on the way. You'll see them next week i'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Latch35
    Sounds better than the service I received in their Paris store, in October. Of all the manufacturers store's I visited, this was the least impressive. One employee present (on a Saturday afternoon), no samples offered (after I made a purchase), off-hand and surly, too. All in all, a shame. Contrast this with the Creed and Anick Goutal stores (among others) who were the epitomy of helpful and pleasant. Nice fragrance, though
    aha - did you also spot virgin island waters when in the creed shop?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

This appears to be the rule not the exception. I cannot heap enough praises on them for their customer service. It appears I'm not the only one too who has benefitted from their generosity. I have gotten samples from them twice, once was after recieving an email, unsolicited from them regarding a glowing review I gave of Vetiver Extraordinaire on here. The gist of the email was thanking me for the kind words and offering to send anything else I'd be interested in. Yes, some of them read the site. They are the epitome of class to me, and as I'm wearing Musc Ravageur as I type this say that they are a company that gets it. First class from their people on down to their scents. What a nice change of pace to talk about a great experience with a company and not be complaining. I loved Malle before I had any dealings with them.....the people they employ are the cherry on top.

Hello, don't recall if I did, probably not. I was too busy ferreting around and asking for samples of ones on my list to try.

http://www.galerieslafayette.com/int...fontLang=latin

Did you go here?

I thought it was excellent.

The Comme De Garcons shop was good, once it had opened, supposed to open at 10.30, a few of us outside, shrugs all round at 10.50 as the young chap arrived to open up Great place, Paris.

I too could not speak more highly of their service.

My love affair with Malle started about 1 year ago. I did not complete the questionnaire, but rather wrote to them asking for advice on a perfume for my wife for Christmas. To help them I listed perfumes which my wife likes. They were kind enough to make some suggestions, and because I lived in Australia, offered to send me some samples - Carnal Flower, Iris Poudre and L'Eau d'Hiver.

I sent the same email to L'Artisan, who wrote back to me "if you check our website, you will note we do not stock Chanel, Guerlain, etc, only our own perfumes" to which I wrote, yes well if you check my email you'll note I ask for advice on YOUR perfumes. Anyway, evidently it was a stupid person at L'Artisan who wrote that email, my email was written in perfect French. So I've never bought a L'Artisan and that's no big deal as I think they're pretty crap.

But I digress. After receiving the samples, my wife and I both decided the CF and IP were better than anything else she owned, so over the course of this year, i've purchased both of them, in addition to VE for myself. Each time I've purchased, they've sent me more samples, such that now I almost have the whole collection!

The fact that they write little hand written orders with each delivery is another lovely touch.

I would rate Carnal Flower and Iris Poudre as equal to the other two greats in my wife's collection - Chaenl Gardenia and Bois des Iles. Vetiver Extraordinaire is in my top 5. Along with Guerlain and Creed, Malle is one of my top 3 houses. The next purchase is Une Rose. I just wish they'd bring out more men's frags - maybe a formal woody or tobacco based scent?

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Judging from the posts it would seem that Malle is interested in providing customer service. Something that I feel has been heading downhill for quite awhile at most companies. It appears they are a company that is active in listening and attending to their actual customers (such as reviewing what the Basenotes community says). Noir Epices has been on my want to sample list, so I think I will try that online questionaire.

Wow...I guess I'm the lone dissenter here...

I emailed them and asked for a sample of Musc Ravageur and they refused (a bit curtly) and said they'd only send out samples of what the test said "fit" me.

So, I filled out the questionaire. Three times. After a month or so, I finally got a response. Then, it took 3 or 4 more weeks to get the samples.

In the meantime, I'd told a co-worker about the site and suggested he fill out the test too (he's not into cologne too much). I sat down with him and he decided he wanted something to make his wife go all a-quiver, so I helped him answer the questions. That was 3 months ago and despite a follow up email he sent, they have yet to respond to him either.

Now, when I DID get the samples (Bigarade Concentree and Angeliques Sous La Plouie, which I LOVE), they came with the same note and same order and same very friendly note.

So...when they DO respond, they seem to be great. I guess I (and my friend) just hit them on a bad day/week?

Quote Originally Posted by DrBubba

I emailed them and asked for a sample of Musc Ravageur and they refused (a bit curtly) and said they'd only send out samples of what the test said "fit" me.

So, I filled out the questionaire. Three times. After a month or so, I finally got a response. Then, it took 3 or 4 more weeks to get the samples.

In the meantime, I'd told a co-worker about the site and suggested he fill out the test too (he's not into cologne too much). I sat down with him and he decided he wanted something to make his wife go all a-quiver, so I helped him answer the questions. That was 3 months ago and despite a follow up email he sent, they have yet to respond to him either.

Now, when I DID get the samples (Bigarade Concentree and Angeliques Sous La Plouie, which I LOVE), they came with the same note and same order and same very friendly note.

So...when they DO respond, they seem to be great. I guess I (and my friend) just hit them on a bad day/week?
    Well, I once had a similar experience. They had advised En Passant and Bigarade Concentree so I sent them back my address, then nothing happened for a month... so I e-mailed again asking if everything went OK.

They said they had never received my address but they will "exceptionally" send me the samples after all. Like I was begging for them!

Anyway, like you said, when it does go flawless (and I did get my samples in the end), it sure is a nice PR thing they offer.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Dr.Bubba... honestly it sounds like maybe you were being a little demanding. There are probably two or three Reps answering the queries (I heard Helene's name mentioned a time or two, who answered mine), so perhaps the fact that you emailed asking for a sample and THEN sent the questionaire three or four times probably didn't mark you as a customer interested in learning about Malle, but somebody who just wanted free samples.

I expected nothing from them, so the fact that they did send something was very nice. If they didn't respond or didn't send a sample, I certainly wasn't going to keep emailing them until they did.

Anyway, of course I'm not trying to be rude, but I think that the way you went about it hardly speaks poorly of Malle's service. If they start to feel like they're getting taken for free samples, I'm guessing they'll stop doing this service (I'm not saying that's what you did... but I could see that perception on their part. When Barney's charges $25-30 for a 10ml spray, a 3ml or 5ml free sample could quickly become a hot commodity if someone wanted to take advantage. I'm sure they realize this and respond accordingly).
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 23rd December 2006 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc
    Dr.Bubba... honestly it sounds like maybe you were being a little demanding. There are probably two or three Reps answering the queries (I heard Helene's name mentioned a time or two, who answered mine), so perhaps the fact that you emailed asking for a sample and THEN sent the questionaire three or four times probably didn't mark you as a customer interested in learning about Malle, but somebody who just wanted free samples.

Wait...heh...

I can't imagine that could be the case at all.

The email I sent was a glowing review of one of their other scents that I'd gotten as a sample from scentimental (I told them I smelled it on a friend and complimented them on it, since I wasn't too sure what they'd think of the whole decant and samples market) and also explained that there were no local retailers that carried the Malle line, but that I hoped they'd be able provide me with another retailer closer to me and/or offer a sample of Musc Ravageur, since I'd read about it and read several reviews of it and thought I might like it.

I realize that many people who write in asking for samples just say "Hey, can I have some free stuff?" and for that very reason, I make sure that emails I send out to companies are as far from that as possible.

Plus, I don't think they could consider my filling out the survey as being indicative of someone just trying to get free stuff, because I filled it out at their request. When 2-3 weeks went by without a response, I filled it out again. Ditto when that response went unanswered.

Again, when they DID respond (within a couple hours of my third submission), Tiphinie was helpful and the note included with my samples was indeed from Helene (which adds more credence to the "only a couple people handling this" theory), but it still took several more weeks for the samples and it also doesn't explain that my friend's request never got responded to either.

Wait...heh...

I can't imagine that could be the case at all.

I see what you mean now; it just seemed in what you wrote previously that you filled out the questionaire hoping to get samples AFTER you didn't get the reply you wanted in your initial request.

But, anyway, like I said, I'm not critiquing you... I was just offering a possibility as to why you didn't get the replies you hoped for and yet so many of the rest of us did.

That and, as you mentioned, maybe you just caught them during an off time. But, even at that, I sent an email to Tiphaine with a question about something else and got a reply within about 30 minutes...
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 23rd December 2006 at 05:54 PM.

Well, I just heard from Helene.
    She recommended Carnal Flower and Musc Ravageur (the latter frightens me a bit, but hey, its listed as a shared fragrance)
    I sent off my address with fingers crossed.

It is , what's the word, "gracious" of them to offer free samples, Caron charges $5 for 2 ml samples and Aedes $15 for seven 1 ml samples.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Tiphaine intervened and referred me to Barney's in NY. Truthfully I am only 30 minutes west, so...
    in any case, now I am bitten by the Malle bug and so ordered some samples from our own...Peppermint Patty!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Talking Re: Good Service from Malle

I think I send in summer a dozen of questionaires to Editions De Parfums, searching a free three wonderful sample set; They never advise me or send me anything.

Tired of that situation, now, in December, I wrote a simple and flattering email to ask for three samples: Noir Epices, Vetiver Extraordinaire and L'eau D'hiver. In a week (Im from Spain), my wonderful 5 ml samples with the letter were in home.

I fell in love with Noir Epices overcoat, and my appetite for smell more of this diamonds carried me off to wrote another email, with my aunt address, asking for samples of Musc Ravageur, Le Parfum de Therese and Noir Epices (I love NE!!). After 2 weeks, my new 5 ml samples were in my hands again. ;-P

I received my Malle samples today - Noir Epices and Vet Ex. I haven't tried either yet as I am on a Tam Dao / Tauer LDDM frenzy at the moment. (No rtamara, I don't layer them!)

Paul
    “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”

~ Robert Brault

The website is hit or miss...unfortunately for me, I missed and simply received a recommendation. Don't get your hopes up.

However, the Barney's rep here in LA was and has been very courteous and generous with me when I go in, though I haven't bought a single fragrance from him.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

To update, I filled out the questionaire on their website on 27 Dec 06. I received a reply from Malle the next day. Today, 5 Jan 07 I received Noir Epices and Musc Ravageur samples in the mail.

Considering the holidays, I would think that is pretty quick service. The samples are good size for samples and should allow me to give both a thorough test to see if I like them. A quick spray of the Noir Epices was pleasing.

The quick reply, the quick delivery of samples (free of cost), and friendly service on the email and note have me giving this experience a big thumbs up.

After discovering Frederic Malle on BN, I sent them an email asking for samples. I got no response and was quite disappointed. I recently completed the questionnaire to honestly find out which one(s) suited me best. Not even 5 minutes later I received an email from Tiphaine recommending Musc Ravageur and Noir Epices. She did ask for my address, but I didn't think much of it at the time (international post to South Africa, etc.).

At 10h00 today a colleague was handing out mail and handed me with a parcel from France. Two samples of the above with a hand-written note from Tiphaine!! Sad to say, when I opened the wrapping paper of the Noir Epices, the bottle was broken The stuff is all over my hands and desk, but at least the whole office smells divine!

...Speaking of DIVINE (how's that for a segue from Jellybean's post above )... They just sent me a sample set of all 6 scents from their line, including the new L'inspiratrice. I received a quick email reply to my sample request and recieved the samples from France in less than a week.I've tried L'Homme Sage and it certainly is Divine !!! Great service - and scents !