Code of Conduct

Thread: new to forum ^^

Default new to forum ^^

Hi, my name is Kat. I work in the fragrance department at Macy's. I Really love my job and I thought being in a forum like this can help me with my customers alot better, or give people tips i have found ^^. well it will be nice getting to know everyone!

Default Re: new to forum ^^

Welcome Tink! Nice to have you on board, so to speak. You'll definitely get a lot of knowledge here regarding fragrances and a lot of plain good conversion.

Note that one of our members is known as "tink" as well, and this may cause some confusion. Just an FYI.

Welcome Tink!

It is good to see SA's improving their knowledge of the products they are selling. Sorry in advance for all the bashings SA's get around here. You are one of the few who have recently joined to be better at their job and I'm damn glad to hear it. Good to have you here.

thanks for the welcome. why do people bash sa's here?

Quote Originally Posted by Tink
    Hello Tink and welcome...

I have found the Macy's SAs to be the most helpful and patient among Salt Lake's, "Holy Trinity" of fragrance (Macys/Dillards/Nordstrom). Unfortunately, they also have the weakest selection. But I have been a faithful customer for several years, when they were ZCMI, Meier & Frank, then Macys. Some of the same SAs are still there from the old days.

In fact, the Estee' Lauder SA knows me by sight simply from my annual Christmas excursions. She has stayed onboard through all of the mergers, but my DW has all of the good Estee' fragrances now, and I had to expand my horizons this year. She (the Estee' SA) was disappointed, but she did give me some freebies anyway.

Nordstrom seems to employ pretty, YOUNG ladies who know nothing about fragrance notes, etc. I always try to talk to a rep at Nordies if one is available.

Dillards is a mixed bag. I was never impressed until this year, when a classy lady 10 years my senior talked to me for 45 minutes. I walked away with zero samples, but we did bond, and discussed many discontinued frags. She was an SA, then a rep at Nordies, and now an SA again. She really knew her stuff, and among SAs, is my fragrance muse.

*edit*

Tink,

My message to you in all of this rambling is get to know your product line, and get to know the various top, heart, and base notes. The weak selection at Macy's will actually be a blessing to you, since there will be less to memorize.
    Experiment with the many fragrances available here as decants, and find a few that you love. If you truly love fragrance, you too can be someone's SA fragrance muse!

Show interest and build rapport with your customers. Don't just push the latest top seller. Be friendly and patient - personality is an SA's stock in trade. And stay involved in basenotes... I have already learned more here in a month than I have in a lifetime of blind sniffing.

P
    Last edited by Scentsibility; 24th December 2006 at 04:14 AM.
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Tink
    Only a few do. They get upset if an SA doesn't know more than they do. Problem is, people who hang out in Basenotes are some of the most knowledgeable people around. So it is sort of hard for every SA to know more than they do.

I don't expect SAs to know more than I do... that doesn't matter very much, as I go in already having done my own research. I'm not looking for opinions or advice: I'm looking for a friendly, helpful person to assist me if I need assistance (finding a frag, getting a sample, making a purchase, etc.). If they can have an informed chat with me about the things I'm looking at, or give non-pushy suggestions about frags I might enjoy, great! I'm just put off when they act like they know better than I do what I'll like, and then get snooty when I let it be known that I *gasp!* have an informed opinion of my own! I've met really awesome SAs, and very un-awesome ones, and the thing the latter all have in common is a poor, stuck-up attitude. As someone else already said, personality is the important part, and a good working knowledge of the product is a bonus. All that said, it just occured to me that since the average shopper doesn't come armed with a head full of notes and reviews, courtesy of Basenotes :-), I guess finding a knowledgeable SA is more important to them... but I still say clueless and smiling wins over well-informed and snooty, if they actually want to make a sale.

One of the things I miss by buying over the 'net' is the complete lack of SAs . And, welcome to our little bit of Fragrance 'Heaven'.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl
    I've met really awesome SAs, and very un-awesome ones, and the thing the latter all have in common is a poor, stuck-up attitude.
    Well, stuck up attitude would get to me too. And now that I'm thinking about it, I did run into one like that. But most have been very nice to me.

I must say, i do start to get a stuck up attitude when I have customers wanting to find perfume under 30 dollars. -.- i don't have any perfume under 40, and when thye complain 50 is way to much, i pretty much know they are not going to buy anything. it is one of my biggest peeves working, how can you come into a department store and expect to come out paying less then 50 on something that is not on sale?
    Current Top Five: Burberry Londen, Love Spell, Miss Dior Cherie, J.Lo Live, Provocative Interlude
    Myspace

I'm sorry to be so late in welcoming you, but here i am...hope you have a grand time here with us fellow bnoters!.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    I'm sorry to be so late in welcoming you, but here i am...hope you have a grand time here with us fellow bnoters!.

thanks!! this site hasalready b een alot of help!
    Current Top Five: Burberry Londen, Love Spell, Miss Dior Cherie, J.Lo Live, Provocative Interlude
    Myspace