Code of Conduct

Default Looking for recommendations for a gift for my girlfriend

Hi everyone,

I'm a long time lurker here, finally registered so I could get some advice from you amazing people. I want to get my girlfriend a fragrance for christmas. She doesn't wear anything at all right now. I don't really want to get her something versatile because I'm hoping she'll start getting more interested and will start buying more Therefore I want to get her something for the winter months when we're at school in Buffalo.

I'm not too familiar with women's perfumes. The one I'm leaning towards is Very Irresistable by Givenchy. I've been looking towards designer rather than niche, as she hasn't really given me very positive responses to the L'Artisan and other niche fragrances I own. Her favorites of mine are Angel Men, Hanae Mori, Rochas Man, Dolce and Gabbana pour Homme, and CK Contradiction. I am able to pick up niche fragrances though, as I am in New York City at the moment, so I'm open to any suggestions you may have. I'll make a list of the suggestions and I'll check them out tomorrow in Manhattan. Thank you all so much.

Regards,
    Peter

Default Re: Looking for recommendations for a gift for my girlfriend

Hi,
    I think Very Irresistable is a fine choice for a first time fragrance, if you really like it and think you would like it on your girl then go for it. I think its a subtle and inoffensive scent, but if you're wanting something a little more exciting can I suggest Alien by Thierry Mugler. I think its something that would get me interested in perfume if it was the first fragrance gift I received - lovely bottle, intriguing name and concept and it smells wonderful too!
    Last edited by Lalage; 22nd December 2006 at 08:43 PM.

hi!

I recomend Miss Dior Chire by Christian Dior. It's a nice mix of a classic musk smell with the modern smell of sweet fruit. It really is a beautiful scent. IF you smell it, let it sit first, you can't judge it by first sniff!!!! It has been my biggest seller in womens fragrances for the past five months (i work in fragrances at macy's).

Another nice one to try is the Armani code, its not as sweet as very irreistable, but something aobuti t reminds me of it. ^^ hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Tink
    hi!

I recomend Miss Dior Chire by Christian Dior. It's a nice mix of a classic musk smell with the modern smell of sweet fruit. It really is a beautiful scent. IF you smell it, let it sit first, you can't judge it by first sniff!!!! It has been my biggest seller in womens fragrances for the past five months (i work in fragrances at macy's).

Another nice one to try is the Armani code, its not as sweet as very irreistable, but something aobuti t reminds me of it. ^^ hope it helps
    Hey, *I* bought Miss Dior Cherie for my wife (at Macy's) as a Christmas gift.
    You can't tell EVERYONE about it - I want her to be the only one wearing it!

Seriously, your GF sounds like she enjoys the gourmands on you (Rochas, A*Men, Hanae Mori) so why not get her one of her own? I think the Miss Dior Cherie is a fine and subtle choice. It smells exactly like Byblos Cielo to me, but I only tested it on paper.

Paul
    Last edited by Scentsibility; 23rd December 2006 at 04:39 AM.
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”[/FONT]

~ Robert Brault

Blog Entries

I definitely agree with the previous suggestions, not my style, but definitely good for what you are looking for.

Very Irresistible - this is a great all year scent, warm sweet roses
    Miss Dior Cherie - warm strawberries over sexy woody base
    Armani Code - great orange blossom opening and heart with a smokey woody musk base

Would also suggest:

CK Obsession Night
    Kenzo Amour - Very similar to Dior Hypnotic Poison, but more subtle and wearable.
    Anna Sui Sui Dreams - soft peaches and vanilla with a touch of subtly sexy woody incense in the base. (a personal favourite)
    Jean Patou Patou For Ever - delicious candied pineapple chypre
    JPG Gaultier 2 - vanilla amber (that you can share! )
    Lolita Lempicka L - starts out orangy and cinnamon and then long lasting, yummy ambery vanilla dry down.
    Ralph Lauren Ralph Hot

Good Luck! Your girlfriend is very lucky...
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I'd check out the Chanel line too. Giving a Chanel is never out of fashion. Maybe go for something like Coco Mademoiselle, Chance, or Cristalle? Coco might be a little too much, but if she likes warm, spicy florals (and you like them too) it could be just the perfume to get her through the Buffalo winter.

Have fun!
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Wrraa,
    It seems like your girlfriend likes gourmands, so why won't you get her the feminine version of Hanae Mori or Angel - or one of these delicious gourmands:

L by Lolita Lempica - cinnamon, orange, helycrisum and vanilla

Obsession - mandarin, vanilla, amber orange blossom

Kenzo Amour - this is lighter and with a more subtle sweetness

But if you want something really special and gourmand, I recommend Caron's Farnesiana, since you are in NYC, you can go and pick it up directly from the Caron boutique - that would be a really special gift!
    Farnesiana is an almondy, sweet mimosa scent.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Great suggestions! I do agree on all that are familiar to me!

I do want to add Gucci EdP II. It´s a charming frag with an almost nut-feeling, who is sort of a perfect blend of fun and classic for a young woman.

Good Luck, and please, tell us what your choose will be!
    Last edited by Margareta; 23rd December 2006 at 08:31 AM.

Talking Re: Looking for recommendations for a gift for my girlfriend

Hi everyone,

I checked out a bunch of the recommendations you all gave, including the Miss Dior Cherie, KenzoAmour, Chanel Chance, Armani Code, JPG 2, Hanae Mori and some others. I couldn't find some of the other ones, but I was already kind of overloaded with the ones that I was testing. I found a lot of ones that I liked a lot, and compared them to the Very Irresistible. After a long time going back and forth, I decided to go with the Miss Dior Cherie. I was a bit turned off by the initial topnotes but after about 10 minutes I started to like it a lot. I picked her up a 1.7oz edp from Sephora and gave it to her tonight. I hope she likes it. Thanks everyone for your help. I'll report on how it works out =]

Peter