Code of Conduct

Default L’Air du desert, thank you Basenotes!

Newbie here just wanting to thank you all!
    I am both a newbie to basenotes, and to scents in general. Well, I just tried my sample of L’Air du desert. And all I can say is WOW!
    This is what I have been looking for. It smells nothing like the fragrance section of the mall. It's what I was hoping I would find in male fragrances. Since getting this new found addicition, I've been trying Creed GIT and SMW. But this scent blows them away!
    It is what I have wanted a cologne to smell like! Something new and different.
    So, I just want to thank my new friends here at basenotes for turning me on to this intoxicating scent.
    Thank you and happy holidays to all!
    Stiv

Default Re: L’Air du desert, thank you Basenotes!

As an advocator of the scent that also heard of the scent through Basenotes, I would like to say thank you and you're welcome at the same time! Enjoy, it's an amazing scent!

I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and I love it!

S

I've read so much about it and where is it available? In Canada at least.

Please advise.

Mario

where is this one available? samples?

Dependent

"- a passion for scents and perfumes- There is no sensual impression like the sensing of scents. Scents touch ourselves deep inside, were we are the most vulnerable and the most open. I study scents for the pleasure of sensing and I formulate scents for the pleasure of creating perfumes. This blog is about perfumery and my perfumes, existing and coming. Please share your visions with me."

-----Andy Tauer

http://www.tauerperfumes.com/blog/

I wore a lot of different fragrances this year, but this offering from Tauer has knocked my socks off like no other. It is a true gem.
    Thanks so much to Mentallo for the decant swap. I hope you liked the Tam Dao.

-Slim

You can get it through the Tauer website or LuckyScent. Both have samples/bottles.

ALL RIGHT, that's it! I am putting in an order for a sample of L'Air today!

I HOPE YOU'RE ALL HAPPY! K@!!*(#&^$#)%!!!*(#&!^
    Last edited by ifconfig; 23rd December 2006 at 09:25 PM.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

I've been interested in fragrances for less than a year (and have tested somewhere between 150 and 200 scents), and L'Air is definitely one of the best fragrances I've ever had the pleasure to wear. I might even go as far as saying that L'Air has certainly eclipsed Fumerie Turque.

What a great discovery to end the year.

Post Re: L’Air du desert, thank you Basenotes!

Very happy indeed ifconfig. I'm absolutely positive you'll like it. If you don't, I wont visit this website for a week. I like to live dangerously . Once you are on it, why not order a sample of Lonestar Memories also?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    I've been interested in fragrances for less than a year (and have tested somewhere between 150 and 200 scents), and L'Air is definitely one of the best fragrances I've ever had the pleasure to wear. I might even go as far as saying that L'Air has certainly eclipsed Fumerie Turque.

What a great discovery to end the year.
    What Trebor said... But, after sampling Lonestar, I won't touch it with a 10' pole !

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    I might even go as far as saying that L'Air has certainly eclipsed Fumerie Turque.
    I agree. But I think L'Air competes more with Musc Ravageur. I plan to test them side by side when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    But, after sampling Lonestar, I won't touch it with a 10' pole
    Lonestar is a Memory I'd like to forget. But I plan to try L'air du desert Moracain again.

This was one of the scents I went looking for today as I did some last minute Christmas shopping in San Francisco (yes, there is something mentally wrong with me to do this). Alas, I came up empty. But, I will try their website as suggested. Good to read such positive posts about it.

I just ordered samples of Desert and Memories, thanks to you guys ! They sound perfect for me. We'll soon see...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow
    Very happy indeed ifconfig. I'm absolutely positive you'll like it. If you don't, I wont visit this website for a week. I like to live dangerously . Once you are on it, why not order a sample of Lonestar Memories also?
    Johnny, you're relentless! Well, I'll try L'Air first and then consider Lonestar. I like leather (I read somehere Lonestar has leather notes) so we'll see. I'm still grumbling about the whole thing. People trying to drive me into bankruptcy!
    De gustibus non est disputandum

I'd like to retract what I said about L'air du desert marocain competing with Musc Ravageur. I tested them at the same time, one on the back of each hand. No doubt that they cover similar ground. But the mood each one creates is different. So different that neither can stand in for the other.

I'm also tempted to compare Desert Moracain and Jean Pascal. Not sure if I will.

Basenotes Institution

Finally gave this stuff a full wearing last week. I was looking forward to it, since I was slightly underwhelmed by the new Tauer scent, the 'Jardin' one [yawn]

L'Air du Desert Moracain is wonderful stuff.

My thoughts:

1. I thought this kind of spicy scent wouldn't work in the heat - but on the contrary it worked perfectly
    2. I have never smelled anything remotely like this scent in my life. It reminds me of the smell of crushed nut shells (you know when you crack nuts and the pits shells are lying around). Additionally, it reminded me of the smell of a cake baking in the oven - perhaps a gingerbread / spicy pound cake. Icing and all. But DRY! As if the 'baking smells' I just described had been removed of all of their moisture and water and then concentrated into a liquid. Ozonic spicecake? Does that make sense?
    3. The 'spice' factor of LAddM is quite complex. I love spicy scents: Jaisalmer by CdG; JHL by Aramis; Arabie by Serge Lutens...etc. But some of these hit you over the head with the spices, which can be kind of annoying. LAddM just kinds of whirls the spices around in the air around you, when you wear it, and projects them perfectly into the air around you for maximum sillage. Without knocking you over. Quite a feat, if you ask me.
    4. When it dries down, it smells just as good as when it goes on. Again, only a few scents I own, achieve this.

I loved it for the first month after I bought over a year ago. And then it went below the bathroom sink cabinet not to be used for many many months. Then it went for sale on Ebay. Now it's gone.

Guess it didn't work for me even though I do appreciate the craftmanship of it.
    "Stars when you shine you know how I feel,
    Scent of the crime you know how I feel,
    Your freedom is mine, and I know how I feel
    Its a new dawn, its a new day, its a new life for me
    And I'm feelin good"

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/11718

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Finally gave this stuff a full wearing last week. I was looking forward to it, since I was slightly underwhelmed by the new Tauer scent, the 'Jardin' one [yawn]

L'Air du Desert Moracain is wonderful stuff.

My thoughts:

1. I thought this kind of spicy scent wouldn't work in the heat - but on the contrary it worked perfectly
    2. I have never smelled anything remotely like this scent in my life. It reminds me of the smell of crushed nut shells (you know when you crack nuts and the pits shells are lying around). Additionally, it reminded me of the smell of a cake baking in the oven - perhaps a gingerbread / spicy pound cake. Icing and all. But DRY! As if the 'baking smells' I just described had been removed of all of their moisture and water and then concentrated into a liquid. Ozonic spicecake? Does that make sense?
    3. The 'spice' factor of LAddM is quite complex. I love spicy scents: Jaisalmer by CdG; JHL by Aramis; Arabie by Serge Lutens...etc. But some of these hit you over the head with the spices, which can be kind of annoying. LAddM just kinds of whirls the spices around in the air around you, when you wear it, and projects them perfectly into the air around you for maximum sillage. Without knocking you over. Quite a feat, if you ask me.
    4. When it dries down, it smells just as good as when it goes on. Again, only a few scents I own, achieve this.
    Yep, L'Air is definitely an all year round scent, thanks to its Arabie-esque dryness.

I've recently discovered something about L'Air that I found interesting - I find it to be a more complex version of Ambre Sultan. Before falling in love with L'Air, I tried AS and simply hated it - it's pungent herbal qualities really put me off. However, only recently did I decide to give AS another go and liked it straight away - why the sudden 180 simply baffled me. It was only after testing AS a little longer that I realised there are obvious similarities between the two, and that my new-found admiration for AS was due to being 'accustomed' to L'Air. In the end, I decided not to invest in a bottle of AS because I find it too similar to L'AIr.

Does anyone feel the same about these two?

Definetely a all year round scent.This is truly a great fragrance.I do not think i would have discovered this if it wasn`t for Basenotes.

I had the same reaction to L'Air de Desert Moracain - I love the spice and wood dryness and was romanced by the sweet depth of the amber finish. I raced through a third of the bottle before realizing the amber finish doesn't agree with me as much as I hoped. Amber and I have a love/hate relationship in that it lures me in with its warm rounded depth but eventually wears me out with its persistence as amber usually outlasts all other notes. Although the amber in L'Air is not really overbearing, but I eventually stopped wearing it. I need to try it out again.

Of course Ambre Sultan is similar to the L'Air in its amber base, except AS does not have the wood and spice incense qualities and the amber is stronger and even more amberish. If its the amber you like in the L'Air then Ambre Sultan is about as good an pure amber fragrance as there is. Personally my fascination with the L'Air is the spice and incense part of the mix - it is stunning.

L'Air is my favorite of these amber fragrances mentioned because of its elevating wood and spice heart. The only similar fragrance to L'Air I have smelled is Coromandel (Les Exclusifs) by Chanel. Lighter and gentler, Coromandel has spice + wood notes with amber but is a softer blend muted with chocolate and light patchouli. Coromandel is like a blend of L'Air desert Morocain and Borneo 1834. It's very nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Of course Ambre Sultan is similar to the L'Air in its amber base, except AS does not have the wood and spice incense qualities and the amber is stronger and even more amberish. If its the amber you like in the L'Air then Ambre Sultan is about as good an pure amber fragrance as there is. Personally my fascination with the L'Air is the spice and incense part of the mix - it is stunning.
    I was at work when I wrote my last post, so apologies for not going into further detail. However, this just about hits the nail on the head for me. AS is really a great amber fragrance but, personally, owning both feels pointless and (as mentioned) there's much more going on in L'Air.
    Last edited by Trebor; 18th June 2007 at 04:02 PM.

i can't wait to actually get this one..

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I was at work when I wrote my last post, so apologies for not going into further detail. However, this just about hits the nail on the head for me. AS is really a great amber fragrance but, personally, owning both feels pointless and (as mentioned) there's much more going on in L'Air.
    I wear Ambre Sultan for that deep velvety plush amber - the 'spice' from AS (which does NOT resemble L'Air) is just the icing on the cake

However I wear L'Air for the whole olfactory 'effect' I mentioned - an effect that Ambre Sultan does NOT achieve (as wonderful an amber scent, as it is).