Code of Conduct

Default Why did they do that?

I've been curious about the discontinued scents such as Relax by Davidoff, for instance. Why did they discontinue it when people love it, adore it?

It doesn't make sense to discontinue it when you can still make lots of money from your own existed products. Why? Does someone know?
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Default Re: Why did they do that?

Well one of the things I love about fashion is how there is a wilful dismissal of what is in the past, the purpose being to create desire for what's coming out in the near future. Like it or not, it's time for everyone to move on to something else (and it'll cost a little more, that's one thing you can count on!). The motive may be craven but still the phenomenon of things becoming outmoded is really fascinating. And part of the process is the act of simply snatching those things away.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I would guess it is all dictated by money.

The perfume companies know the bottom line and I believe are driven by that knowledge. When a particular scent falls below certain sales expectations for a given time period then I believe it is discontinued. Just a guess, but economic reasons seem to me to be the deciding factor.

Local popularity or popularity with a small number of buyers probably wouldn't generate enough buying power to 'justify' either keeping a scent falling in sales or resurecting one already discontinued for that matter.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I must agree with the general theme....It must have to do with the money....The bottum line.....Show me the Money.....Follow the money trail....it works this way in all areas of life......Gary

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk
    I've been curious about the discontinued scents such as Relax by Davidoff, for instance. Why did they discontinue it when people love it, adore it?
    Well, obviously people didn't love and adore it enough.

I don't think it's the case with 'Relax', but in many cases, a fragrance is an accessory to a fashion line. When the fashion changes and they launch a new line (or 'reinvent' themselves), the accessories change too.

The answer you've already gotten is on the mark.. popular among afictionados is not what their goal is, instead mass market adoption (think AdG) is their target. For some reason 'new' is a powerful meme for mainstream shoppers. (like 'exclusive', 'luxurious' and our favorite 'sexy/alluring')

There can also be legal issues involved. I've read in the past on this board that Havana may have been discontinued due to some type of legal problems with the name.

Neither Havana or Relax are discontinued. They are both in limited production. Havana is still being produced in South Africa, and I still haven't figured out where Relax is at. I don't think that Havana was cut back because of legal problems with the name. Look at Bond No. 9, they use street names from New York City, and even have the entire line (Bond No. 9 NYC) named after the city. What about Perfumes de Nicolai's New York? What about Kenneth Cole New York? Somehow, I don't think Cuba has the economic or militant clout to keep fashion designers from using the name of one of its cities on their products. Just my 2 cents though.
    - Rich

EDIT - I said reproduced when I meant produced.
    Last edited by _R$_; 29th January 2007 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smndrummer
    Neither Havana or Relax are discontinued. They are both in limited production. Havana is still being reproduced in South Africa, and I still haven't figured out where Relax is at. I don't think that Havana was cut back because of legal problems with the name. Look at Bond No. 9, they use street names from New York City, and even have the entire line (Bond No. 9 NYC) named after the city. What about Perfumes de Nicolai's New York? What about Kenneth Cole New York? Somehow, I don't think Cuba has the economic or militant clout to keep fashion designers from using the name of one of its cities on their products. Just my 2 cents though.
    - Rich
    Wow. You've made a lot of assumptions about my very vague statement. I was only offering another possible reason for the discontinuance of fragrances: "legal issues." I used Havana as an example that I have read about on this board. I don't know exactly what the legal problems with the name were or even if it's true. My post in no way implies that the name Havana is copyrighted or otherwise somehow controlled by Cuba. A street name, city name, state name, etc. cannot be copyrighted as far as I know. And just because you can still get Havana in South Africa, does not mean it is still being produced. Do you have proof from Aramis that it is still being produced? Furthermore, the thread to which you are referring, mentions that the Havana from South Africa smells different than from other places. I find that suspicious.

Sorry for this off-topic interuption. Now back to our regularly scheduled thread I hope....

Apart from money, the main drive behind almost anything these days, some factors may be the following;

As mentioned before, a new collection needs a new frag..

There's a lot of corporates out there needing to justify their wages and are therefore under a lot pressure to come up with the next ''Big Thing''

The grass is always greener on the other side; there seems to be a need to ''improve'' or ''update '' a perfectly acceptable frag, leading to spinn-offs, such as sports, extreme and other versions..

In the old days ( my era included *^^) you would stick to a frag for life, however due to the above factors maybe people are not as loyal to their frags as in the old days, opening marketing opportunities for new frags and stagnating sales of the old skool or original frags....dunno....

One thing I do know; I certainly wouldn't like to be the person responsable for discontinuing for example Patou pour Homme , Ungaro 1 etc!!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    Wow. You've made a lot of assumptions about my very vague statement. I was only offering another possible reason for the discontinuance of fragrances: "legal issues." I used Havana as an example that I have read about on this board. I don't know exactly what the legal problems with the name were or even if it's true. My post in no way implies that the name Havana is copyrighted or otherwise somehow controlled by Cuba. A street name, city name, state name, etc. cannot be copyrighted as far as I know. And just because you can still get Havana in South Africa, does not mean it is still being produced. Do you have proof from Aramis that it is still being produced? Furthermore, the thread to which you are referring, mentions that the Havana from South Africa smells different than from other places. I find that suspicious.

Sorry for this off-topic interuption. Now back to our regularly scheduled thread I hope....
    My apologies. Your statement "may have been discontinued due to legal issues with the name" is not vague at all, but I did misinterperet it. My google search only came up with names of places, and no product which had the name Havana copyrighted. I may also be mistaken about Havana not being disconinued, but it was not aimed at you. I have simply read about Havana coming from South Africa in limited quantities, and this Havana being the good juice. I did not mean to insult you or take your words out of context, but your comment was not just "legal issues", but "legal issues with the name", and I did assume you were talking about Havana, Cuba. Once again, my apologies. I have contacted Estee Lauder to inquire about the production staus of Havana.
    - Rich