Code of Conduct

Thread: Tommy Girl

Default Tommy Girl

I once had one of those whiplash moments. I was working out at a gym and a girl got on an exercise bicycle next to me. She swished her hair and I got a draught of incredible perfume. I asked her what she was wearing and she said ‘Tommy Girl’. At the time I was put off by the name and the marketing. (I knew nothing about perfumes then.)

This Christmas I went looking for it for a gift. But I am disturbed by what is available now all being marked ‘cologne’. When it was launched it was an EDT I’m sure—and I’ve even seen a reference in the reviews here to an EDP. (The SA was sure it was once an EDT too.)

So my question is when did the EDT and EDP disappear, or are they still available in some other parts of the world? Also, does anyone here like TG? How different is the recent stuff to the original?

(I note that Luca Turin had some high praise for Tommy Girl in his blog — and for other works by the same perfumerer, though the name escapes me at the moment.)

Thanks

Eluard

Default Re: Tommy Girl

Calice Becker and I'm afraid dr.Turin has been a little overenthusiastic about it (which is his right, but not gospel)

I find it as alluring as a girl in braces and full of freckles. Wholesome.

Maybe it's just a name difference, not a concentration and EDT is still what circulates as cologne (like Jo Malone says cologne, but they are EDTs). "Toilette" has a negative connotation for the US market (and generally anglophones).
    Last edited by helg; 23rd December 2006 at 12:35 PM.

Default Re: Tommy Girl

Quote Originally Posted by helg
    Calice Becker and I'm afraid dr.Turin has been a little overenthusiastic about it (which is his right, but not gospel)
    Ah yes, that's right. He was raving about her in the course of talking up Beyond Paradise for Men, which I found pretty uninteresting, to say the least.

Thanks for the info.