Code of Conduct

Default Ban on shipping fragrances

Hey - does anyone know if this ban by US Postal Service and Canada Post are complete bans, or do they only apply to airmail? I've been telling sellers to ship me things via surface because I thought the ban only applies to airmail, but I just realized that I don't really know where I got this information from. Anyone know the specifics, maybe with a link?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ban on shipping fragrances

I have no problem shipping frags via USPS, but it does have to be ground only. They won't air ship at all. I really don't know about the Canadian service though.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

So for the US it's legal by surface - and in Canada? From what I remember of the Canada Post website, it's illegal to ship alcohol period. I can't seem to find the page though, maybe it specifies air...

I send decants by Priority (which is air) several times a week, often to canada. I wouldnt sweat it. You'll be fine so long as you don't disclose whats in the package (USPS:"Is there anything flammable, liquid or potentially hazardous inside?" Me: "Nope" USPS:"have a nice day.") If you do get caught, the very worst that will happens they'll toss your package. I've never heard of anyone actually being fined or having charges brought against them.

Dependent

USPS ground.... bah

the only time mail spends on the ground is riding to and from the airport. There are people living in really remote place's that pony express delivers to but I'd be willing to bet they dont get on basenotes.

"what's wrong with yer horse Pete?"

"broken leg, gotta put him down"

"guess this ain't the best time to tell you about the thread on basenotes about kids huffing Pino Syvestre before school"

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    I send decants by Priority (which is air) several times a week, often to canada. I wouldnt sweat it. You'll be fine so long as you don't disclose whats in the package (USPS:"Is there anything flammable, liquid or potentially hazardous inside?" Me: "Nope" USPS:"have a nice day.") If you do get caught, the very worst that will happens they'll toss your package. I've never heard of anyone actually being fined or having charges brought against them.
    You don't read the right websites:

http://www.hazmat-news.com/
    We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give - W. Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by jaelynn
    You don't read the right websites:

http://www.hazmat-news.com/

Like I said, in my experience (which includes shipping perfume by air on a weekly basis),these laws are all talk. The authorities have much bigger mail-fraud fish to fry than folks swapping milliliters of commercially available perfume. If any other Basenoter has been hit with a multiple-thousand-dollar fine for shipping decants, please chime in now.

Thanks for the info - I actually wasn't worried about being imprisoned! Just don't want my Opium EDP or Silver Mountain Water to end up as some Postal WOrker's Christmas present.

Up until now I've been sending and recieveing mostly by airmail, and I the on;y problem I ever had is when one doorknob seller who I had spoken with at length about labelling it "cosmetics" instead of "cologne" sent something clearly labeled "cologne" - it didn't get confiscated, but they just shipped it ground even though he paid for airmail and it took three weeks, so after two I thought it was lost. Since then I have everything shipped ground.
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 26th December 2006 at 05:06 PM.