Code of Conduct

Default Tabrome Millisime vs Original Santal

Which one to get? Roughly I know how they smell like, but I need that influence/inspiration/advice to make my desicion. Please don't tell me to get BdP instead because I have yet to get a whiff of it around this part of the world, so I am content with the only ones I can find. So which one? My worry is that TM would be too formal while the OS would get too sweet and joop-ish. I have GIT, Himalaya and will get MI anyway but I feel the need for a heavier Creed in my drobe.

Default Re: Tabrome Millisime vs Original Santal

I think the Tabarome is the better scent of the two, but it isn't really a heavy scent. Also it is only a reliable nose pleaser for me during the three colder seasons of the year--not that OS is all year round or anything, just that Tab isn't an answer always scent.

That's how I answer your question for my tastes. I hope your nose will be happy with the one you choose!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I also think that Tabarome is the better of the 2.

I don't seem to have a problem wearing it in warmer months.

The only caveat I'll give is that Tabarome needs quite a while for the ginger to settle down and start to behave. On me it doesn't come into its own for 45 minutes or so.

I like Original Santal better because I am not a big fan of how "creedy" the Tabarome smells. Plus, I think that OS is more complex and refreshing. Tabarome is boring to me and just doesn't do it. I've worn both and I would deffinately have to pick Original Santal.

I agree with Chris - New Tabarome's ginger note becomes too prominent on my skin during the warm weather, but it wears well in cold. Original Santal can be worn all year round if worn in moderation - lately I have been noticing the coriander note in this...
    -

Thanks for the suggestions so far, so to verdict up to now is that even though Tabrome may be a more triditional and better composed creed, OS is more wearable choice, am I right? Last time I sampled it I'm reminded too much of stuff like Joop and Desire red, I will have to test again. Keep it coming folks, since I still have a week or more to make desicion.

To my nose, OS is the most unwearable thing I've ever run across from Creed. Seriously cloying and not what I'd ever want to smell like.

I agree with turner and others. I definitely wouldn't buy OS blind. I think it is the poorest creed of all. Very sweet and overpowering, not at all subtle. Tabarome is a fine crisp composition. I don't mind the ginger, in fact I like it and think it blends beautifully with the tobacco.I can wear it in any weather. TM is one of my all time favourites.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I haven't tried TM, I'm just waiting to buy a decant.

But OS is, unfortunately for me, a bad one. It's quite sweet and overpowering and something in it makes me cough. It sits in the back of my throat taunting me. It's summer here now (Australia) so I may have to wait for winter for it to work properly but so far, no thanks.

To me OS is a manifestation of the identity crisis at Creed which has lead to the schizophrenic policy of offerng super-exclusive, artificially scarce & overpriced perfumes on the one hand and uninspired (even copy-cat) frags with a prestige price tag on the other. Of the latter, OS is the most blatant example. If TM is too old-fashioned gentleman for you and OS to sweety & JOOPy, why not get the best of both worlds: Royal Delight .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    I agree with turner and others. I definitely wouldn't buy OS blind. I think it is the poorest creed of all. Very sweet and overpowering, not at all subtle. Tabarome is a fine crisp composition. I don't mind the ginger, in fact I like it and think it blends beautifully with the tobacco.I can wear it in any weather. TM is one of my all time favourites.
    & in turn I agree with yours...

While Olivier Creed did good work with Tabarome Millesime, I have to say that it really cant compare with the far superior offering of his ancestors, the amazing Vintage Tabarome.
    -

No contest....Tabarome wins hands down
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Tabarome is great-smelling, but almost unwearable. I'm sure you could work it in here and there, but I'm not sure I'd find suitable occasion to wear it often enough. Depends how old you are and what you do as well...If you're a cowboy or a leather smith or a rock star, go for Tabarome. Chances are OS will be more versatile in your assumedly non-rockstar life.

So many people hate on Original Santal for so many stupid reasons...Comparing it to other scents by the same house for example. It is not the same as joop, and although it isn't a standout-original, it is incredibly rich, and doesn't remind me enough of any other the other thousand or so fragrances I've tried in the last year enough to qualify as a copy of anything as far as I'm concerned. OS is awesome and is one of the fragrances that opened me up to what I consider to be a more refined and beautiful level of perfumes and hobbyism, along with Green Valley. Upon discovering these two, they had an obvious depth and beauty that I'd never found in designer fragrances.

I'd also check out Royal Delight, as another guy suggested.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Please keep in mind that its Basenotes only where Original Santal gets a thrashing (ok, so its not super great, but there are many worse fragrances from other niche houses) - at sites like Makeupalley.com and some blogs, its actually regarded as a fairly good fragrance. I consider something like MPG Eau des Iles, L'Artisan Navigateur, Hermes Bel Ami and LV Piper Nigrum as far far more unwearable.

Over the past few months, I have found myself preferring it to Tabarome Millesime. I say give it a try.
    -